🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 17: A song you relate to

I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics the first time I heard this song. Or the second, third, etc. I was listening the other day and it just hooked me for whatever reason. As explained by the artist:

"The downside of autonomy is being an island. If you’re so self-sufficient, who’s going to put you through the ringer and who’s going to break your heart? You do it yourself, which of course is impossible. It’s as impossible as seeing your own eyeball. It’s all about getting so close to the source that things start to shutdown."

Andrew Bird - Eyeoneye

Day 11: A song that is angsty

So yesterday I had planned to make up at least 3 days which obviously didn't happen. Hopefully I do better today.
Another prompt w/so many options. 2 bands immediately came to mind. I'm going to disagree with @vagrantx and @Bry1313 on their selection of the ultimate angsty band. I love The Smiths and they are a close 2nd to Robert Smith and The Cure

What's more angsty than A Forest

This came up in marriage counseling. Mr Aussie heard me listening to this song and it clicked within him that I'm a "butterfly on a leash". He's not wrong.

Even Though I'm A Woman - Seeker Lover Keeper

This is impossible, but for some reason I had this song going thru my head earlier. No idea why. Haven’t heard it in a long time.

A long forgotten band. But one of the best.

Sir Lord Baltimore - Lady of Fire

Day 18: A song from the ‘60s

Here’s something a bit different. Many groups have covered the folk classic Whiskey in the Jar (including a decidedly non-folk rendition by Metallica!) but I quite like this 1962 version from American folk outfit The Highwaymen (not the supergroup). The rhythm rollicks along and the vocal harmonisation is cute.

Whiskey in the Jar - The Highwaymen

This came up in marriage counseling. Mr Aussie heard me listening to this song and it clicked within him that I'm a "butterfly on a leash". He's not wrong.

Even Though I'm A Woman - Seeker Lover Keeper
I don’t mind a bit of Sarah Blasko and friends 🥰. But don’t tell anyone. It’ll make Jett sound soppy. 😜

Day 18: A song from the ‘60s

Here’s something a bit different. Many groups have covered the folk classic Whiskey in the Jar (including a decidedly non-folk rendition by Metallica!) but I quite like this 1962 version from American folk outfit The Highwaymen (not the supergroup). The rhythm rollicks along and the vocal harmonisation is cute.

Whiskey in the Jar - The Highwaymen
I forget you are in the future

Day 18: A song from the 60s

In the movie challenge thread I recently mentioned my favorite Bond movie, In Her Majesty's Secret Service, so why not mention the soundtrack too! The first Bond theme to make use of Moog synthesizers that would become oh-so-popular later on, in the 70s.

The Moog's effortlessly overshadowed by Louis' trumpet though, of course :love:

Louis Armstrong - We Have All the Time in the World

Back