2009 Survivor Bonus Round Challenge #3: Earth Day.

What I have in mind has several colours in it, if I design it and scan it to the computer is that ok?

What I have in mind has several colours in it, if I design it and scan it to the computer is that ok?

Here is the text from the link that Lauren originally posted.

I cannot find a clear definition or criteria in this post, but I would not guess that color would preclude your poem from being concrete. I highlighted the parts of the post that seem to be the most like criteria.

While many readers now associate the term "concrete poetry" with poems whose outlines depict a recongnizable shape--John Hollander's collection Types of Shape, for example--the ideas behind concrete poetry are much broader. In essence, works of concrete poetry are as much pieces of visual art made with words as they are poems. Were one to hear a piece of concrete poetry read aloud, a substantial amount of its effect would be lost.

European artists Max Bill and Öyving Fahlström originated the term in the early 1950s, and its early methods were described in the Brazilian group Noigandres' manifesto "Pilot Plan for Concrete Poetry." During this period, concrete poems were intended to be abstract and without allusion to an existing poem or identifiable shape. An interest in ideograms--and the notion that words themselves could be ideograms--accompanied the typographical innovations developed by these artists and by such visual writers as E.E. Cummings and Ezra Pound.

As the movement spread across the continents, reaching the height of its popularity in the 1960s, concrete poetry became less abstract and was adopted by many conventional poets as a specific poetic form rather than a combination of literature and visual art. In response, some artists adopted the term "poesia visiva" to describe more experimental fusions of word and image. As with much visual art, concrete poetry and poesia visiva now use photography, film, and even soundscapes in combination with letters and words to achieve new and startling effects.

I personally do not understand the line between illustrated and concrete poems. I know when concrete poems are NOT illustrated and when some illustrated poems are not concrete, but some seem that they could be either (Like Limbido's branches)

Seems like Poesia visiva is more like some illustrated poetry.

Can we do Poesia visiva, (images included with text) Lauren, or stick with concrete (text making images)

(eh hem) I don't think it matters for the contest and I should go finish supper before I take this WAY too seriously! I am not trying to be difficult, I just enjoy thinking about these things, what make this this and that that, me me and you you....

I've changed the original idea of the picture with the words on it into the picture actually being formed by the words (says she hoping it works!) it's just I need to know if I can have several colours because if I can't that's another idea blown out the window!

I've changed the original idea of the picture with the words on it into the picture actually being formed by the words (says she hoping it works!) it's just I need to know if I can have several colours because if I can't that's another idea blown out the window!

colors are a good thing, Annie. I angered my seven year old today by tooling around during our drawing time, trying to make a poem instead of monsters.

The kid has a giant notebook full of them. Carefully categorized. I have invented dozens for him and the kid won't catch me a break and let me do a nature poem. Are monsters part of nature? eh hem. What about organic monsters? Kidding of course, no need to reply on that question. So he started to do a roller coaster concrete poem (his idea) but gave up when his poem was saying DOWN as the word down was actually going UP. So I guess he got the point and quickly convinced me that it was monster time. My latest is a series of quirky robots.

Now I just need some inspiration. Nature.

Ooh. How about a Ped Egg shaped poem scraping a foot shaped poem with little letter flakes of dried skin being shaved to a pile on the floor????

(yes, it is time for my home pedicure.)

Can we do Poesia visiva, (images included with text) Lauren, or stick with concrete (text making images)
The principle is the same, so it should fall in the close-enough category, especially if at least some words do something special. ;)

Been out to the artist materials shop today and was regaling the whole shop (assistants and customers alike) as to what a concrete poem is. I've got my stuff although the paper isn't exactly what I wanted so here's hoping the idea actually works or it's back to the drawing board! sorryyyyyy couldn't resist!

I have a question...

I have been working on my poem using Adobe Illustrator. It would be submitted as an illustrated.. as long as I can successfully convert the file to .gif. However, as many of you know, illustrated poems can takes weeks to post. What if I submit it on time or even early, but it doesn't post until after the due date?

All of those who submit illustrated poems to the challenge should also make a post in this thread, including the image in attachment, so that we can see it is completed before the deadline, in case it doesn't get published on time. :)

LOL. It's the blurry reproductive organs of
pinkorch-1.jpg

this orchid :D

Wow! Impressive, Annie! I absolutely detested doing that concrete thing but you've aced it, huge kudos!

Not something I shall be doing again anytime soon either. It's not the concept that's a pain it's the getting it to actually post even with Champs step by step guide I'm none the wiser and without Lauren I've got no chance!

from now on I shall never forget ... richard of york gave battle in vain

Last edited:
Oh, well. I didn't get it done in time anyway. Getting used to art school has been more difficult than I had anticipated. I'll get back into the groove eventually.

Oh, well. I didn't get it done in time anyway. Getting used to art school has been more difficult than I had anticipated. I'll get back into the groove eventually.

clipped the random whining and griping about missing the deadline (my apologies to anyone else who read it beyond Lauren :( )

Last edited:
Each challenge goes on for exactly four weeks, Anna. This one started on March 25th, a Wednesday, and ended four weeks later, on April 22nd. I never referred to it as April challenge. :(

Challenge #4 started on April 22nd and will last 4 weeks, until May 20th.

Back