2024 Poetry Challenge Leader Sign-Up

Hi all - my challenge for May is to write an ekphrastic poem around the Phrase "Merry, Merry month of May", as performed by Leonard Cohen in the Live at London recording with an amazing solo by Javier Mas Even if you don't write a poem it's worth a listen.

The inspiration for this prompt came about from a friend/instructor's new Mystery by the same title, which launches in May. Beware, the earworm won't go away.
Hi P'tor. This sounds fun! Will you post your challenge as a separate thread? This thread is just to sign up to lead challenges, so I'm concerned folks won't see your post here. If you're busy I'll start the thread for you, just let me know. Also a link that explains what ekphrastic poetry is would be helpful. I'd never heard of it before Tzara's Ekphrastic Poetry Challenge a while back.

Putting my ekphrastic thinking cap on! ๐ŸŒน

~Angie

Edited to add another link to the song "Who By Fire," which contains the phrase "merry merry month of May." My tablet was being persnickety about your link, so here's one to just the song:

Who By Fire

Last edited:
Okay guys, May challenge posted... and proven it can be done. :p Hope you have fun with this one. It's a tough one. One of the toughest forms I have ever learned. But it is so worth it once you finish a piece. Not many poets attempt this form because it is so difficult to do beautifully. But when you nail it, it is VERY fulfilling.

Hi Angeline!

Please, can you move the comment appearing in the June 'Poem-A-Week' challenge to the discussion thread? (and any others if more appear)

Love :heart: that people are moved by the poems but just want the challenge thread to remain poems only..

Hi Angeline!

Please, can you move the comment appearing in the June 'Poem-A-Week' challenge to the discussion thread? (and any others if more appear)

Love :heart: that people are moved by the poems but just want the challenge thread to remain poems only..
I understand. Done! ๐ŸŒน

I think I was supposed to have June and spaced? Work has hectic to say the least. Anyway, I can take the other July spot,

Hello! I'm not super prolific when it comes to poetry here on the forums (I prefer writing in Swedish), but I've an idea for a challenge come October. Could I sign up to lead one of the challenges then?
Hi!๐Ÿ‘‹ Of course you can lead a challenge! Thank you for offering! I'll put you on the list for October. Message me if you have questions or I can be of help. ๐ŸŒน

By the way some of our best poets here have been from Sweden. Icing Sugar, Linbido and Liar are all wonderful poets. They were writing here some years back but I think they all still have poems published here at Lit. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi!๐Ÿ‘‹ Of course you can lead a challenge! Thank you for offering! I'll put you on the list for October. Message me if you have questions or I can be of help. ๐ŸŒน

By the way some of our best poets here have been from Sweden. Icing Sugar, Linbido and Liar are all wonderful poets. They were writing here some years back but I think they all still have poems published here at Lit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yay! Thank you. Think it'll be a fun one! And possibly unique.

I'll be sure to check them out tomorrow โ˜บ๏ธ

Back