After Being Hassled And Abused At Sturgis Harley Davidson Ditches DEI

They are surprisingly popular in Australia. Of course, lots of people here have a weird love-hate relationship with all things American.
Heh, "weird love-hate" is spot on. I was down in Oz a few years back and watched firsthand how Aussies were coming to grips with the American institution called "Halloween". Conservatives hate it ("It's a bloody American holiday") but kids seem to enjoy it. Boys can be anything they want (cowboys, astronauts, slasher-pic villains) but girls are virtually 100% witches. 🤠 🧙‍♀️

Also in Australia the VW Bus (called "kombis" there) never went out of style, and the Chevy El Camino car/truck hybrid is eternal (they call 'em "utes")

The trend continues….

Ford, Coors Light and Other Brands Retreat From a Gay-Rights Index

When Ford scaled back its diversity initiatives it called out one organization by name: the Human Rights Campaign.

The automaker last week told employees it would stop providing workplace data to the gay-rights lobbying group, which spent decades persuading big companies to embrace policies hospitable to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees and customers.

Other companies dialing down diversity initiatives this summer also said they would distance themselves from HRC: Harley-Davidson , Lowe’s, rural retailer Tractor Supply and distiller Brown-Forman , which makes Jack Daniel’s. On Tuesday, Molson Coors also said it would stop working with the group.

https://www.wsj.com/business/ford-c...5hm669t99phdyyi&reflink=article_copyURL_share

The trend continues….

When Ford scaled back its diversity initiatives it called out one organization by name: the Human Rights Campaign.

The automaker last week told employees it would stop providing workplace data to the gay-rights lobbying group, which spent decades persuading big companies to embrace policies hospitable to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees and customers.

Other companies dialing down diversity initiatives this summer also said they would distance themselves from HRC: Harley-Davidson , Lowe’s, rural retailer Tractor Supply and distiller Brown-Forman , which makes Jack Daniel’s. On Tuesday, Molson Coors also said it would stop working with the group.

https://www.wsj.com/business/ford-c...5hm669t99phdyyi&reflink=article_copyURL_share
The article ( which strangely enough wasn't pay-walled) doesn't say they (Ford etc) are ceasing DEI initives. It states they have stopped sharing data with the HRC. Why? Well it seems the data is being leaked from HRC.

Big win for your side....fuck I'd agree, a companies internal workings on HR are private and not to be shared. Too much headhunting these days to give the competition an advantage on internal HR policy.

In the 12 months ending in June 2024, Harley Davidson revenue was up 11.99% from the previous year.

Net income was up 22.6% to $218 million. Impressive!

I guess “DEI” is good for business! 👍

How did HD even end up with people that thought that was a good idea to start with. "HOLD MY BEER"

I see far more Indians than Harleys, maybe they're getting worried about the drop in merch sales.

I don't know if HD have ever been 'cool', even the Fonz in Happy Days rode a Triumph and the program was set in Milwaukee.

Last edited:
I see far more Indians than Harleys, maybe they're getting worried about the drop in merch sales.

I don't know if HD have ever been 'cool', even the Fonz in Happy Days rode a Triumph and the program was set in Milwaukee.
Harley is the market share leader in the V-Twin cruiser category and they’ve done a great job with marketing over the years, but there’s a reason Harley owners are stepping up to Indians. When Polaris acquired the rights to the iconic Indian brand, they designed the Scout and Chieftain/Roadmaster product lines from the ground up. In doing so, they did a remarkable job of capturing the stylistic essence of the classic machines made by America’s first motorcycle company. I have ridden my 2015 Indian Roadmaster all over the US and constantly have people coming up to it at gas stations to take a closer look.

The Fonz "rode" a knucklehead in the first season and it was decidedly too big for the diminutive actor. The bomb shelter episode where they all gather in the Cunningham's back yard shows this off very well. They pushed Henry in and he almost loses the bike trying to stop it. The got him the littler bike for the rest of the series.

Back