Are there words that you thought your whole life were spelled one way, but you found out late in life they were spelled differently?

How do you pronounce Marylebone? (It was only as I typed this message that I realized it wasn't spelled Marlybone.)
MAR-luh-bon, so basically like you thought it’s spelled but with a short o.

It was just a few years ago that I learned that pea-nuckle was pinochle.
In New Zealand we sometimes call thumb wars pea-knuckle. I'm fairly sure it isn't spelled like pinochle the game.

"Peaknuckle, peaknuckle, one, two, three!" Or maybe, "One, two, three, four, I declare a peaknuckle war!"

In New Zealand we sometimes call thumb wars pea-knuckle. I'm fairly sure it isn't spelled like pinochle the game.

"Peaknuckle, peaknuckle, one, two, three!" Or maybe, "One, two, three, four, I declare a peaknuckle war!"

"One-two-three-four, I declare a thumb war!"

I suppose that PEE-knucke would be something entirely different. : P

Depending on your country... Are you saying aluminium is correct and aluminum is not? Only in Brit-speak, I think.
The original name for the metal was aluminum. The Brits changed it to "aluminium" to make it conform to the standard "ium" suffix for elements.

Depending on your country... Are you saying aluminium is correct and aluminum is not? Only in Brit-speak, I think.
Aluminum is considered fair for informal/casual use, but scientific orgs (mostly) roll with aluminium. If you scrounge up your old high school chemistry textbook, the periodic table probably spells it "aluminium."

It's American English versus English English. Here in Oz it's aluminium (that is, the correct spelling ;)).

Back