Blood & Come

Listen and learn:

Robinson Crusoe was a member of the Swiss Family Robinson who were also shipwrecked on a desert isle, but this time somewhere in Switzerland. Both books were written by actor Willam D. Foe, the great grandson of Edgar Allen Foe, the great writer who wrote "That Tattle-tale Heart", "The Cask of Montenegro", and "The Piss and the Pudendum"

Get straight, people.

---dr.M.

dr_mabeuse said:
Listen and learn:
Robinson Crusoe was a member of the Swiss Family Robinson who were also shipwrecked on a desert isle, but this time somewhere in Switzerland. Both books were written by actor Willam D. Foe, the great grandson of Edgar Allen Foe, the great writer who wrote "That Tattle-tale Heart", "The Cask of Montenegro", and "The Piss and the Pudendum"

Get straight, people. ---dr.M.

Doc, I luvvvvvvvvv you. Did you know the Marquis de Sade's great-grandaughter is a pop singer born in Nigeria? She emigrated to the UK and was recently presented an OBE from Prince Chas. I think she's ashamed of her roots, though, as she pronounces her name Shar-DAY. What's up with that?

Pudendalacious Perdita

The truth at last.......

dr_mabeuse said:
Listen and learn:

Get straight, people.

---dr.M.

Dear Dr M,
Thank you for clarifying that. How about Robinson's nephew Enrico, the great wo .... Italian tenure?
MG
Ps. Didn't Foe write about that raven named Quoth?

for MG

MathGirl: I asked in another thread, I ask again - where did you get your doctorate? Just curious.

BTW, I'm an opera buffo and I know it takes a lot for an Italian to get tenure. Are you Italian? Are you on the tenor track?

Purd

Re: for MG

perdita said:
BTW, I'm an opera buffo and I know it takes a lot for an Italian to get tenure. Are you Italian? Are you on the tenor track?

Dear Purdita,
How do you get to be a opera buffalo? No, I'm Kike and Okie.
MG

Re: Re: Captain Horatio Hornblower

perdita said:
Mr. Og: I miss the hat photo, despite all the guffaws from some gurls. Tell me this is you. If not, don't.

Perdita

Yes, It is I. The hat was missing because I was wearing it on Sunday to add dignity to a Country Fair.

Now my likeness will be in the local papers again. They expect a drop in sales.

Og

Re: Re: Re: Captain Horatio Hornblower

oggbashan said:

Yes, but many people will be experiencing a curious craving for baked goods.
MG

Re: Re: Re: Captain Horatio Hornblower

oggbashan said:
Og
Og, sir, I'm pleased. What's the paper called; perhaps I can find it at my local int'l newstand. Do tell again, was the little nipper you too? Do you have voice like Alan Rickman?

Purd

p.s. can you speak Elizabethan English (as opposed to Elizabethan Spanish? Just want someoone to prouounce my name correctly.

Re: Re: for MG

MathGirl said:
Dear Purdita, How do you get to be a opera buffalo? No, I'm Kike and Okie. MG
Midge*, or Marge*: That's cool; Okie Kike - very exotically alliterative, even erotickly for the tongue (to speak, silly).

You get to be an opera buffo or buffalo, whatever, by going to operas a lot and reading books on the lives of the singers and composers. Very interesting stuff; bottom line: it's all about sex (and death too, yuk; there's always a price for having sex). P.

*that's what 'MG' sounds like.

T.P. again

Dear Perdita,
You should read "Maskerade" by Terry Pratchett. It's all about opera and even has a character named Perdita.
MG

Re: for Svenskrushkaya

perdita said:
Svensk-girl: get a load of these nipps. P.

Everyone: please excuse our self-indulgence; we're addicted to this villainous virility.

*singing* "Your own, personal, Jesus..." :heart:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Captain Horatio Hornblower

perdita said:
Og, sir, I'm pleased. What's the paper called; perhaps I can find it at my local int'l newstand. Do tell again, was the little nipper you too? Do you have voice like Alan Rickman?

Purd

p.s. can you speak Elizabethan English (as opposed to Elizabethan Spanish? Just want someoone to prouounce my name correctly.

*eagerly waiting for og to visit the Voices In the Hangout thread*

Cake on head

perdita said:
Og, sir, I'm pleased. What's the paper called; perhaps I can find it at my local int'l newstand.
It is unlikely that the Folkestone Herald's Romney Marsh edition circulates further than 10 miles from the Marsh.

Do tell again, was the little nipper you too?
That was a picture of me aged 4, the last year that I had any pretensions to being photogenic.

Do you have voice like Alan Rickman?
Who is he? I have a bass voice and a tin ear. It is described as bass because that is the closest approximation, but I can't get sing a bass's high notes. My hymn singing frightens the sheep. My quarterdeck voice gets sailors jumping up the rigging to get away. It also gives my microphone the jitters.

I can and have read aloud The King James Bible, Shakespearian and Chaucer's English but I am not an expert.

How do you want your name pronounced?
Purred-it-a, Purr-dit-a or Purr-dee-ta?

Og

for Oggswich

No quotes as I'm next in line (unless there's a simultaneous emission from MG or SFka)

You were a photogenic darling boy, and a darling man imho*.
(*if people are truly humble they should use the lower case, just mho.)

Basso will do, it is my favorite masculine voice (speaking or singing; for singing preferably Russian too).

You're a het-male (I presume) so you needn't know who AR is.

pr. - PURR-ditta, the abandoned and found princess of Sh're's 'The Winter's Tale'.

Spanish: Pear-DEE-ta; meaning lost girl.

I prefer WT usage. I must credit MG for getting it as she sometimes called me Purd.

anon, Perdita the unlost (found myself decades ago)

Bass

I try to sing like Chaliapin but unsuccessfully.

I have some of his recordings on 78rpm single sided records from pre WW1. I play them occasionally. They do not sound like the remasters on CD.

I like singing The Vulgar Boatmen and have several recordings of Soviet male voice choirs to sing along with (but only when my wife and cat are out).

Regards

Og.

Re: Bass

oggbashan said:
I try to sing like Chaliapin but unsuccessfully.

I have some of his recordings on 78rpm single sided records from pre WW1. I play them occasionally. They do not sound like the remasters on CD.

I like singing The Vulgar Boatmen and have several recordings of Soviet male voice choirs to sing along with (but only when my wife and cat are out).
That's it, I'm slain (as in Kewpie's arrow went straight to my heart as I read the above). I have Chaliapin but only on CD; I found opera late in life.

I love vulgar boatmen too, esp. gondolieri.

Best, Perdita

Re: Re: Bass

perdita said:
I love vulgar boatmen too, esp. gondolieri.

Best, Perdita

Gondolieri are usually Italian tenors. One of my first memories of my father is him dressed as a Gondolier for an amateur G&S performance. He was still singing G&S in his care home up to a few weeks before his death aged 96. He used to sing "The Larboard Watch" with his eldest brother and "The Three Gendarmes" with both brothers.

I like singing "The Pirates of Penzance" especially the Pirate King's song transposed down a few octaves. If I'm feeling more serious I try "O Isis und Osiris" and "In diesen heilinge halle".

As Henry VIII all I can really sing is "Greensleeves".

On Sunday I sang hymns in the village church dressed as Henry. As is usual when I sing in church some of the congregation turned round to see where the noise was coming from. If the music is marked ff then that is what they get. I have had wedding invitations annotated "Please come but don't sing.".

Og

PS. Perdita in my names book is from the Latin verb "Perdo" which has four meanings according to my copy of Lewis and Shortt's Latin dictionary. All mean "lost" but first in the normal sense, then in the sense of broken beyond repair, then lost in the moral sense (a lost sheep that needs to be found and restored to upright behaviour) and finally irredeemably lost or degenerate and beyond saving.

The Winter's Tale Perdita was lost in the first sense.

PPS Apologies for mentioning sheep in a thread.

paddling tenors

oggbashan said:
Gondolieri are usually Italian tenors.
I was actually paddled about the Grand Canal last Dec. by a Russian gondolier; he was a long-time resident of Venice. Lovely memory about your dad. *no need for obvious comments re. being paddled on the GC. Ha ha.

I like singing "The Pirates of Penzance"...
So sorry, I don't G&S; I'm an opera snob.

As Henry VIII all I can really sing is "Greensleeves".
Now that I would love to hear.

Thank you for looking up 'perdo'; I will endeavor to record that in my notebook (I love Bubble on AbFab).

Apologies for mentioning sheep in a thread.
I love sheep, but I guess you're apologizing to someone else.
regards, Perdita

Re: Re: Re: Bass

oggbashan said:
Apologies for mentioning sheep in a thread.

Dear Og,
Not to worry. That's a popular subject with some persons around here.
MG

Back