sunlight on his skin
melds flesh with gold; his face turns
bringing summer home​

Last edited:
BooMerengue said:
sunlight on his skin
melds flesh with gold; his face turns
bringing summer home​

and he's a hunk, right? some big slab of beef cake?

good image!

Syn :kiss:

Syndra Lynn said:
and he's a hunk, right? some big slab of beef cake?

good image!

Oh no, baby! he's my 5 yr old grandson!! go reread it... you'll see him...

BooMerengue said:
Oh no, baby! he's my 5 yr old grandson!! go reread it... you'll see him...

Better image! Sometimes my mind wanders into sex city all on its own :rolleyes:

Can I Play?

Here's one I just wrote:

Wildflower Spring

Wildflower spring is
Exploding across meadows
Dew clings to petals

Syndra, For Shame!

Syndra, you pervo! Eroticizing a baby! Sheesh! :D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I understood that there were 3 rules of basic Haiku...

it must be 5-7-5
it must be seasonal
it must be 2 related phrases divided by a cutting word (which, since we don't use cutting words in English we substitute with a ; )

Isn't this right?

I understand that there are a zillion variations of these rules, but then are they still called Haiku or are they something else?

Haiku defined

According to webster:

haiku - an unrhymed verse form of Japanese origin having three lines containing usually 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively; also : a poem in this form usually having a seasonal reference -- compare TANKA

Tanka - an unrhymed Japanese verse form of five lines containing 5, 7, 5, 7, and 7 syllables respectively

I just found this...

How to write Haiku
In japanese, the rules for how to write Haiku are clear, and will not be discussed here. In foreign languages, there exist NO consensus in how to write Haiku-poems. Anyway, let's take a look at the basic knowledge:

What to write about?
Haiku-poems can describe almost anything, but you seldom find themes which are too complicated for normal PEOPLE's recognition and understanding. Some of the most thrilling Haiku-poems describe daily situations in a way that gives the reader a brand new experience of a well-known situation.

The metrical pattern of Haiku
Haiku-poems consist of respectively 5, 7 and 5 syllables in three units. In japanese, this convention is a must, but in english, which has variation in the length of syllables, this can sometimes be difficult.

The technique of cutting
The cutting divides the Haiku into two parts, with a certain imaginative distance between the two sections, but the two sections must remain, to a degree, independent of each other. Both sections must enrich the understanding of the other.
To make this cutting in english, either the first or the second line ends normally with a colon, long dash or ellipsis.

The seasonal theme.
Each Haiku must contain a kigo, a season word, which indicate in which season the Haiku is set. For example, cherry blossoms indicate spring, snow indicate winter, and mosquitoes indicate summer, but the season word isn't always that obvious.

Please notice that Haiku-poems are written under different rules and in many languages. For translated Haiku-poems, the translator must decide whether he should obey the rules strictly, or if he should present the exact essence of the Haiku. For Haiku-poems originally written in english, the poet should be more careful. These are the difficulties, and the pleasure of Haiku.

Haiku for People

I've seen these rules somewhere else, also, but I don't remember where.

A Tanka is different than a basic Haiku, right?

May I recommend?

Our own beloved jthserra has written several very informative articles on haiku. Not seventeen is one, more on haiku, and a couple of others you can access on his submissions page at the link above. Highly recommended reading. His page takes a while to boot. Be patient. It's worth it!

While you are there, you can read some other really good stuff.

The wind's song is blue
harmony clouds then the sky
drops one gardenia

Don't know if this counts, but...

Measuring Up to Trees

The ash casts shadows
on hard, gray ground, cancelling
out my own pale stain.

Last edited:
Again, not traditional subject matter...

The Overcoat

She stands, stubborn feet
cold eyes, conscience removed and
draped over her chair.

I have to agree with DeepAsleep.... I don't like these rules and regulations to poetry... I also see a certain amount of futility involved in producing an English language haiku, but I won't get into that here... instead I'll give you one of my own (rule breaking) creations....

Cemetaries.
Our only tended gardens.
We tend to die.

I wrote that when I was about 14... and of all the haiku I have dabbled in, this has been my best.

Dew lingers too long
Keeping bright sunlight at bay
Until dark night falls

Liquid air surrounds
a single orchid; trembling,
waiting for the sun.

040220_orchid_sm_11a.small.jpg

Another Haiku

Cherry trees bloom;
With homeland security,
Arrested at last.

PS: ok, so I can't count very well.... *sigh*