Cup Size in Stories

Obviously needed a female beta reader or editor.

I remember some convoluted explanation of how that could make sense, involving a minimum number of jumps into hyperspace. Me, I'm like watching Star Trek and hearing Geordie say something like, "Captain, the gravitron flux is interfering with our readings, and the epsilon waves are too intense for the dilithium crystals to tolerate." Yeah, sure.

And that's it for the obligatory Star Trek reference.
There is ALWAYS room for a Star Trek reference!

While we are at it, other relevant aspects other than size that people care and write about? Spherical? Conical? That sounds very geometric I know, but you get the idea. I know I've written about a sloping valley between them. Rather than a deep and narrow canyon, say.
I'm partial to hexagonal. Because hexagons are the bestagons.

While we are at it, other relevant aspects other than size that people care and write about? Spherical? Conical? That sounds very geometric I know, but you get the idea. I know I've written about a sloping valley between them. Rather than a deep and narrow canyon, say.
Prolate ellipsoid?

For me, speaking personally I find this highly evocative and erotic because I’m turned on by physical descriptions.

In common with many on this thread though I find men to be considerably worse at this than women, generally saying:

32A: Small tits
32C: Nice tits
34DD: Big tits

Women’s breasts come in all shapes and sizes so if you’re going to quote a band/cup size at least use some imagination and try to reflect real life.

So, I’ve now received a few negative comments about using “cup size” to describe women’s breasts in stories. (Yes, all anonymous!!!) They claim that nobody would describe womens breasts like that (or using inches for men.)

I beg to differ. I know my wife is a 38C. She used to be a 34A before kids. I knew the bra sizes of past girlfriends, too. I sometimes used them to give imagery of size in my stories. What are other authors’ thoughts?

Do these readers want me to use fruit comparisons? Tangerines? Grapefruits? Glass size! Champagne glass? Gallon jugs? Sports metaphors? Softballs? Badminton shuttlecock?

I jest … but am curious for thoughts.
List the cup size but describe the breasts if you’re going to do it, otherwise it’s lazy.

The funny thing is that people fixate on the letter, thinking higher letters mean bigger breasts. In some cases, that’s simply wrong.

‘Sister size’ bras are garments which have the same cup volume (actual breast size, ie) but different sized bands (the part that goes horizontally around the torso).

Keeping in mind that while not every company keeps to the same sizing standards, the general letter explanation is that it is an indication of the difference between the size of the rib age and the breasts. If one uses a tape measure and finds a one-inch difference, it’s an A-cup, a two-inch difference is a B-cup and so forth.

That might seem simple enough, but it means that the cup volume (actual boob size) can be the same although the band size and letter size vary. For instance, 34DD cups are essentially the same size as both 30F and 38C cups. Ms Average, Ms Slender and Ms Plump in this case all wear different size bras but all have the same size breasts.

For somebody to drool over C or D cups makes little sense without more information. I guess it’s a cultural statement or something, but it’s not related to much.
I think this is totally correct.

Describing a pair of breasts as “small” or “perky” covers pretty much everything from 36A to 32C.

This thread is part of the reason I write celebrity fanfic. I don’t care about cup size, I care about character personality. Yeah, one of my senior muses is a blonde D-cup, I just say she has nice boobs, you care about details like her cup size, look her up elsewhere. Cup size isn’t that important to me. Another longtime muse of mine is an A-cup redhead who recently dealt with a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. I actually may prefer her to the first muse. Deal with this, readers! :)

Back