Do you salt your watermelon?

Salt on fruits is a typically southern thing, but it's spreading. I've seen quite a few people in Cali do it, when I lived there.

I will say, however, that to my Puerto Rican husband, I'm weird.

Hmm, I ain't in the south, but my family always salted our watermelon. But I rarely find anyone else that does the same.

They don't know what they're missing, but they find it too strange to even try.

In "the South" they salt everything...beer, fruit, cock....

hmmm, I might be wrong about the cock thing...

I was at the store last night, and passed the watermelons. They wanted over $8.00 for just one. They weren't gold or anything, from what I could tell, so I don't know the reason they were so expensive. Even the seedless aren't that bad.

Usually, they are priced around $4 or so. That's not per pound, but each. I bet I go back in about a week and see the same melons that I saw last night, but for maybe...$3.50 with a sign, "Please Buy Me!" beside them.

Can you say over priced... and then over ripe??? :eek: No salt would cover up that taste!

Jeez, old thread revisited.

Salt for people who do not appreciate the flavour.

Lime does add an enhancement, but in moderation.

I'm from a very small town in Arkansas that boasts the world's sweetest watermelons and you'd be hard pressed to find better and to violate that sweetness with salt is sacrilege. If I taste even one grain of salt on watermelon I can't handle it I hate it so bad.

Back