Drop in on a new STC

A Day Late and a Yen Short

After reading the thoughts of so many poets on the "Word Drops" topic I submitted a short poem today. It is based on these notes/thoughts:

Two old trees (men)
creaking (talking)
in the (cold - winter) moonlight.
rubbing branches (hands)
prostrate cancer - limbs fall off
forgetting springs as remembering falls

with which I am not yet done. (So no one is authorized to steal them except Angeline, 'cause I owe her one!). ;)

I do find my muse now giving me short bits/rhymes/ideas?, but no complete poems up to now. :(

Regards, Rybka

Re: A Day Late and a Yen Short

Rybka said:
After reading the thoughts of so many poets on the "Word Drops" topic I submitted a short poem today. It is based on these notes/thoughts:

Two old trees (men)
creaking (talking)
in the (cold - winter) moonlight.
rubbing branches (hands)
prostrate cancer - limbs fall off
forgetting springs as remembering falls

with which I am not yet done. (So no one is authorized to steal them except Angeline, 'cause I owe her one!). ;)

I do find my muse now giving me short bits/rhymes/ideas?, but no complete poems up to now. :(

Regards, Rybka

I have this Chinese ink sketch I did a while ago - I keep thinking that it's waiting for a poem.......

old friends smallest

Tristesse said:
I have this Chinese ink sketch I did a while ago - I keep thinking that it's waiting for a poem.......
Thank you Tristesse for responding to my post giving comments about my poem entry Word Drops. I just would like to mention, re the jpg that I strongly dislike the "art" (?) of bonsai. I consider it akin to the oriental practice of "foot binding". Forcing something/one to grow unnaturally is as great an evil as I can imagine.

Regards, Rybka

Re: old friends smallest

Rybka said:
Thank you Tristesse for responding to my post giving comments about my poem entry Word Drops. I just would like to mention, re the jpg that I strongly dislike the "art" (?) of bonsai. I consider it akin to the oriental practice of "foot binding". Forcing something/one to grow unnaturally is as great an evil as I can imagine.

Regards, Rybka

Thank you for responding to my post responding to yours. I know it was not the kind of response you wanted.

I'd like to point out that the trees in my painting are not bonsai trees but trees growing in the rocky mountainside. Naturally stunted and ancient. Chinese art is highly structured focusing on the natural world.

I didn't reveal my art to have it compared to the distortion of women's feet.

*sniff*

Regarding you anew.

Tess

Re: Re: old friends smallest

Tristesse said:
Thank you for responding to my post responding to yours. I know it was not the kind of response you wanted.

I'd like to point out that the trees in my painting are not bonsai trees but trees growing in the rocky mountainside. Naturally stunted and ancient. Chinese art is highly structured focusing on the natural world.

I didn't reveal my art to have it compared to the distortion of women's feet.

*sniff*

Regarding you anew.

Tess
My bad then. :( It looked like bonsai to me.
I would dislike/pity/object to pictures of distorted limbs, whether they are intentional or not. I understand the beauty in strength resisting enviornment, but how am I to know that it has not been done intentionally?
I recently resaw a photo of that young Asian girl running naked and on fire toward the camera. Is the photographer responsible for her agony? No, but that is clear from the photo and although it creates strong emotion in me I do not think of it as art; your picture is not so obvious :(

Regards, Rybka

Last edited:
Re: old friends

when last I walked amongst the trees
nary a limb was straight.
all seemed perfectly bent

(for what it's worth, I saw no distortion in the limbs :), and
the pic is appropriately named. )

Pics and Poetry are similar in that we can't help but bring things to the interpretation table that the author did not intend.

Tristesse...

I found your artwork quite stunning. Initally, in looking at the sketch, I thought it was one of the ancient chinese or japanese ink drawings. I had to go back and read your comment again to confirm that yes, you had drawn it. Once I saw you had drawn it, my next thought was how appropriate the picture would be accompanied with a haiku. The combination of the two would actually make it a haiga, an art form many of the haiku masters produced.

How did you do the red stamp signature?

jim :)

Re: old friends smallest

Rybka said:

Regards, Rybka

WOW Rybka, that is more than a footbound hobble comparing bonsai to the barbaric practise of foot binding, dontcha think? I mean, according to your rationale, training vines, or pruning apple trees would be considered evil..your thought process on this subject baffles me, Im sorry to say...

maria

Re: Tristesse...

jthserra said:
I found your artwork quite stunning. Initally, in looking at the sketch, I thought it was one of the ancient chinese or japanese ink drawings. I had to go back and read your comment again to confirm that yes, you had drawn it. Once I saw you had drawn it, my next thought was how appropriate the picture would be accompanied with a haiku. The combination of the two would actually make it a haiga, an art form many of the haiku masters produced.

How did you do the red stamp signature?

jim :)

Thank you jim. That you thought it was the genuine thing is extremely flattering.

I took classes in Sumi-e (Chinese Brush Painting) for several years. The paintings are done on rice paper and don't store well.

The seal and red ink was a gift, they are available in Chinese Art Supply Stores. Mine has my Christian name carved in
it. I have since been told my seals are not correctly placed and that Western Sumi-e artists should sign their names in long-hand too.

I'll keep the idea of a haiga in mind, thanks.

Chris.

No Offence Meant

Maria2394 said:
WOW Rybka, that is more than a footbound hobble comparing bonsai to the barbaric practise of foot binding, dontcha think? I mean, according to your rationale, training vines, or pruning apple trees would be considered evil..your thought process on this subject baffles me, Im sorry to say...

maria
I don't see it as all that different. In both cases you are forcing a living being into an unnatural form. I am not as concerned with pruning trees or getting a haircut, which can grow back. Perhaps it is the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan. :) However, I also disapprove of topiary which is solely for decorative purposes, And to be consistent I dislike body piercing and tattoos. - I truly fail to see why anybody would purposefully deform themselves permanently, (but then I don't wear rings or even a wristwatch).

On the topic of Chinese art I am certainly not an judge, and that is probably due in large part to the fact that I have never been attracted to it. I can appreciate it in a historical context, but it does nothing for me as "Art".

I am not attacking anyone, their tastes, skills, nor predilections. I am just stating my personal viewpoint in a non-confrontational way.

Regards,                 Rybka

Re: Re: old friends

OT said:
when last I walked amongst the trees
nary a limb was straight.
all seemed perfectly bent

(for what it's worth, I saw no distortion in the limbs :), and
the pic is appropriately named. )

Pics and Poetry are similar in that we can't help but bring things to the interpretation table that the author did not intend.

;) I missed his before........mebbe my specs were steamed up......

Back