English

Unregistered said:
It would be really nice if the authors knew how to use correct grammar. Better spelling would probably also be a bonus. Its not much fun spending most of your time trying to understand what the hell they are on about!11

As a novice writer and relatively new to LIT I have to make this comment in response to your post.

I have appalling grammer, I admit it, but since I don't proport to have a degree in English do I really care. We can all pick faults with anything that other people do, but at least they have tried.
In many cases the writing of a story isn't written for the benefit of the readers but for the writer himself. Do we all have a built in Roget's or Webster's, I think not.

Do many people understand a split infinitive?

Do You ?

Perhaps you could produce a concise overview of tenses and proper sentence construction. I am sure it would be much appreciated.

What would I say to anyone who like me, failed abysmally at English Comprehension and Composition whilst at High School.

Don't worry about it. It's not how grammatically correct the writing is. More important is the imagination and ideas that flow from your mind.

The original poster of this comment clearly has no such imagination because the one thing I do remember from English Composition is to avoid the use of lazy adjectives like 'nice' what does nice mean Unregistered?

Last edited:
Why not do it right?

:cool:
I find some of the comments in this thread to be both humorous and pitiful. The authors seem to want feedback and when they get an unfavorable critique many offer excuses and rants rather than appreciation. The fact that this site offers free stories should not lessen the need for correct mechanics. I'm sure that many LIT authors put in long hours and hard work writing their stories. That, however, is still no excuse for using bad grammar, incorrect spelling and other mechanical violations.

It seems that some authors are rather proud that they not only failed English and Composition classes in school but are intent on never learning . I hope that they are not out in a business world that requires written reports.

If an author writes only for himself and not the reader, why publish on LIT?

I understand that authors get some stupid feedback from stupid readers. My advice is to shrug it off and go on. Read KM's comments on this thread. She also has posted other comments dealing with feedback that should be required reading.

Judas Mondas said:
:cool:
I find some of the comments in this thread to be both humorous and pitiful. The authors seem to want feedback and when they get an unfavorable critique many offer excuses and rants rather than appreciation. The fact that this site offers free stories should not lessen the need for correct mechanics. I'm sure that many LIT authors put in long hours and hard work writing their stories. That, however, is still no excuse for using bad grammar, incorrect spelling and other mechanical violations.

Judas, obviously you are the wisest, most intelligent person in the universe. It must be a terrible burden for you to have to go around insulting everyone you meet just to put them straight!

But don't pity me! I have never ranted about an unfavorable critique that offered anything of value.

Yes many LIT authors do put in long hours of hard work. Those that do, usually have decent grammer and spelling and few serious mechanical violations. The stories you read with absolutely horrible grammer and spelling are not generally from writers who work hard.

By the way, I checked for your name in the Author's Index and came up nil. Perhaps you should, with your superior skill and wisdom, write a story for LIT, before you decide that we are all a bunch of pitiable morons.

Ray

Back