Favorite Adventure Novel

Anthony Hope is the author of 'The Prisoner of Zenda'. He also wrote a sequel: 'Rupert of Hentzau', apparently by popular demand since the first was a tremendous hit at the time (1894) but the sequel doesn't hold a candle to the original. Nothing else he wrote even comes close. He's one of those one-book wonders.

The text is available online at bibliomania.com, BTW.

MM

Mathgirl: HST continues to write, but he's regarded as a literate crank these days. Still an adventurer, though.

William S. is certainly difficult to follow, bless him, but he, along with the other Beats, created the hippie movement. Most of those greasy flower bastards didn't have a clue.

Trends... ugh!

HST (Not Harry S Truman)

karmadog said:
Mathgirl: HST continues to write, but he's regarded as a literate crank these days. Still an adventurer, though.
Trends... ugh!

Dear KD,

Hunter Thompson is a self-admitted literary crank. I love his "up yours" style. He always makes the reader think he know something that nobody else does.

Diane the Bibliophile

Mathgirl, have you seen his artwork? My favorite is the cardboard Ronald Reagan that he splashed with red paint and shot with his shotgun.

Last I heard, his neighbors in Co. were pissed because he kept blowing shit up.

I love his writing, but I'm glad I don't live next door.

Re: Re: Novels

daisie said:
Harry Potter? No way. Give me Pippi any day.

D

agreed.

pippi longstocking because she's so super cool and every little girl ought to want to be her = )

Pippi, my role model when I was a kid, can carry a horse on her arms, but she can't disarm robbers simply by pointing a stick at them and yelling Expelliarmus!

Hunter S T

karmadog said:
Mathgirl, have you seen his artwork? My favorite is the cardboard Ronald Reagan that he splashed with red paint and shot with his shotgun.

Last I heard, his neighbors in Co. were pissed because he kept blowing shit up.

I love his writing, but I'm glad I don't live next door.

KD,
I think I'm about as well acquainted with Hunter Thompson as I'd care to be. Not at all. I'll bet he's a hoot to visit, though.

No, not next door. Be like living between a munitions test range and a Hell's Angels clubhouse.

Adventures

Two of my favorite adventure stories and writers:

Jack Higgins "The Eagle Has Landed"

Alistair MacLean "The Guns of Navaronne"

Both those guys write really good adventure stories.

Eric van Lustbader?

Alistair MacLean "The Guns of Navaronne"

Anything by Alistair Maclean is branded Adventure, isn't it? As for the Harry Potter series, I've always thought of childhood, and adolesense as an ongoing adventure. Add a wizard, or a Jedi Knight to the mix and you have quite a mixture of imaginative adventures to work with. The growing up process is rife with learning the difference between good and bad/evil. Everything is in black and white, even the cowboy hats. But that's what makes it all so special, you see. Because by the time we become adults we've learned that there are a lot more gray areas in between the black and white that take all of the fun out of life's absolutes.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

'Spirit House' by Christopher G. Moore.
It's set in Bangkok, the main character is an alcoholic detective, and it's all about the seedy underbelly.
I love the seedy underbelly!
:p

NorthwestRain said:
I love the seedy underbelly!
:p

Now that would be an interesting contest. We could all vote, collate the results, and announce the:

"MS/MR SEEDY UNDERBELLY OF THE LIT DISCUSSION BOARD, 2003"

Any nominations? Should this be a separate thread?

Last edited:
Adventure Novels

I might be old fashioned, but I don't think you can't beat the adventure of real life when well told... books like In the Heart of the Sea, orGhost Soldiers, The Killer Angels or Into thin Air are as exciting as any fictional adventure I have ever read.

Congrats

NorthwestRain said:
Why, thank you... How sweet.:rose:

Dear NWRain,
Congratulations on your nomination as Ms SEEDY UNDERBELLY. You may be the only candidate and win by default.
Diane the Congratulatory

Actually sweetie,
Sorry to burst your imagination balloon, but that's a Mr. Seedy Underbelly to you. (I thought the AV would have given it away.)

Anyway what's my prize? :p :p

Adventure lovers would be remiss if they never experienced George MacDonald Fraser's *wonderful* character Harry Flashman.

The first published Flashman: Flashman: From the Flashman Papers, 1839-1842 is still my favourite, and an absolute pip.

Written is if they were actual memoirs, the setting presents a ribald view of the 19th Century British Empire, through the eyes of Harry Flashman a scandalous rogue in every sense of the word.

The narrative is tightly wrought and moves along at a perfect pace, never lingering, but not rushing at the same time. The story picks up with Flashman being expelled from England’s premiere Rugby school and follows a chain of events that finds him stuck on the Afghan border during the catastrophic Kabul expedition of 1842.

There are *no* sacred-cows in Mr. MacDonald's work, and I would warn the PC crowd away from these 'lusty' tales. Armchair historians will also find much to savor within these pages as well, as Flashy meets (and takes the piss out of) nearly every major personality of the time.

Flashie

nitelite33 said:
Adventure lovers would be remiss if they never experienced George MacDonald Fraser's *wonderful* character Harry Flashman.

Ewwwww Flashie! One of my favorites. GMFraser is the Terry Pratchett of the Victorian era.

A self confessed craven coward who always ends up being the hero in some very hairy adventures.

Nice to meet another Flashie fan.

Re: Flashie

MathGirl said:
Ewwwww Flashie! One of my favorites. GMFraser is the Terry Pratchett of the Victorian era.

A self confessed craven coward who always ends up being the hero in some very hairy adventures.

Nice to meet another Flashie fan.

Far superior to Aubrey/Maturin, although certain Amazon'ers would have you believe otherwise ;D

Back