Favorite type of poetry to write about...

Interested... and it may sound naive and dumb, but ... is there a specific Jewish form of poetry beyond the parable?

I did a challenge a few years back for a Hebrew form. I can't remember it now and I haven't unpacked my dictionary of forms yet so I can't look it up, but I do recall that one. And I don't know if you can call ikt a form, but the Song of Solomon is very beautiful poetry.

ETA: Here. I found the challenge thread.

i knew it! i mean, just when DID he become a christian? :D

did you wash his feet? just askin' *snerk*

Eh I told him to take a hike cause eagleyez was comin in. ;)

Last edited:
I did a challenge a few years back for a Hebrew form. I can't remember it now and I haven't unpacked my dictionary of forms yet so I can't look it up, but I do recall that one. And I don't know if you can call ikt a form, but the Song of Solomon is very beautiful poetry.

That looks like a fun thread to play around with when I get back

Our new master bath shower is gigantic and has two seats in it. I see lots of shower sex in my future. :D I'm generally not a big fan of it when space is very limited, but there's all kinds of possibilities with those seats in there.

Oh I love to write about music, mainly jazz but all music. One thing I love to do when I write is try to make all the sense references strong enough so that the reader can hear music, see the setting and so on (of whatever I'm alluding to) when I write.

Is that a jazzcuzi ?

E-eye E-eye Ooooooh!

For a "daughter of Jerusalem"

"Though art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah,
Comely as Jerusalem,
Terrible as an army with banners.
Turn away thine eyes from me,
For they have overcome me:...

Return return, O Shullammite,
return return, that we may look upon thee."

:)

Is that a jazzcuzi ?

Nope, no jacuzzi, in fact, no tub. Just a big walk-in sauna/shower with bench seats on either side of it. There's a tub in the bathroom upstairs though so I can still have a bubble bath when I want. :)

"Though art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah,
Comely as Jerusalem,
Terrible as an army with banners.
Turn away thine eyes from me,
For they have overcome me:...

Return return, O Shullammite,
return return, that we may look upon thee."

:)

It's gorgeous. I've always thought the Song of Solomon is one of the most beautiful (and erotic) poems I've ever read.

It's gorgeous. I've always thought the Song of Solomon is one of the most beautiful (and erotic) poems I've ever read.

I agree, I attended a performance many years ago (at the Edinburgh Festival if I remember correctly), which featured a 'dramatised performance'. One man and one woman read the main parts with a small group(chorus) as the daughters of Jerusalem. We never saw the main protagonists only their enlarged silhouettes. To add emphasis at certain points some phrases were repeated as a sort of echoing refrain in Hebrew.

It made a powerful impact as a love story and a deeply erotic love story. The other impact for me was the clearly very ancient origins of the Song. If it was written for Solomon that was some 500 years before monotheism was finally accepted by the Jews and a millenium before Christianity was thought of. And yet it is important to both, for one symbolising the bond of God and Israel and for the Christans the link between Christ and his church.

But for me this great poem resonates as an experience of love between a man and a woman rather than religious allegory.

I wondered Angeline if you are interested in ancient poetry/literature whether you have ever read "Hebrew Myths, The Book of Genesis" by Robert Graves and Rafael Patai (Cassell 1963) Although much criticised by some academics this combination of Poet and Jewish mythographer produced a fascinating insight into ancient Jewish thought.

Graves of course is much better known for his " The White Goddess" his masterpiece on poetic muse but I find this lesser known work equally interesting.

What's Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon about? I read it in the Bible, but the King James Lebron language is totally uninteresting. Is it just her version? I've never read it, just saw a bunch of copies of it in the Penguin two dollar book fair. I bought Alicia Keys' poetry book instead because she's hotter.

Sometimes I use translators to hack-translate foreign poets and get good ideas for lines in poems.

Rilke, Cape Verdean, Croatian, Russian. You get crazy translations that usually have nothing to do with the original, so it's more like reading Tarot than thievery.

I agree, I attended a performance many years ago (at the Edinburgh Festival if I remember correctly), which featured a 'dramatised performance'. One man and one woman read the main parts with a small group(chorus) as the daughters of Jerusalem. We never saw the main protagonists only their enlarged silhouettes. To add emphasis at certain points some phrases were repeated as a sort of echoing refrain in Hebrew.

It made a powerful impact as a love story and a deeply erotic love story. The other impact for me was the clearly very ancient origins of the Song. If it was written for Solomon that was some 500 years before monotheism was finally accepted by the Jews and a millenium before Christianity was thought of. And yet it is important to both, for one symbolising the bond of God and Israel and for the Christans the link between Christ and his church.

But for me this great poem resonates as an experience of love between a man and a woman rather than religious allegory.

I wondered Angeline if you are interested in ancient poetry/literature whether you have ever read "Hebrew Myths, The Book of Genesis" by Robert Graves and Rafael Patai (Cassell 1963) Although much criticised by some academics this combination of Poet and Jewish mythographer produced a fascinating insight into ancient Jewish thought.

Graves of course is much better known for his " The White Goddess" his masterpiece on poetic muse but I find this lesser known work equally interesting.

I'm not familiar with the Graves and Patel book but I'll check it out because I am very interested in ancient, bliblical sounding voices in poetry. I think it's a style (if one can call it that) that has influenced my poet's voice a lot. To me it has a timeless lyrical and sensual sound. In fact, I don't know if you're familiar with the Iranian poet Forough Farrokhzad, but I love her poetry because she has that sort of voice. And she has been a big influence on me. I'll be interested to hear what you think of her. :)

Oh and bflag, I've never read Morrison's Song of Solomon, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with its Bible namesake. Well maybe somehow thematically, it must connect but not having read it, I dunno. :eek:

Last edited:
Sometimes I use translators to hack-translate foreign poets and get good ideas for lines in poems.

Rilke, Cape Verdean, Croatian, Russian. You get crazy translations that usually have nothing to do with the original, so it's more like reading Tarot than thievery.

I heard that "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"
got translated into Russian as "the liquor is good, but the meat is bad"

I heard that "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"
got translated into Russian as "the liquor is good, but the meat is bad"

I don't trust any translated poetry. Most people are incapable of translating a poem from poetry English to every day English.

Thank you. Investigating ... :kiss:

I'm just curious about this, but what do you guys like to write about when it comes to poetry? Can you guys please be specific like "emotions", "scenery","life", etc. Is there an specific type of poetry that you guys like the most (to write about of course)?

For example, i like to write about emotions because i can find most of the time a way to relate myself to them. My favorite emotions to write about are "solitude","hate", "strength" and "passion".

Also is there any specific reason of why you guys usually write about it?

I like to try to write lines that sound like they occurred in conversations. I prefer to get many of the words and some of the forms from sources outside of myself, such as books, songs, things seen on the tv, other poems, books on rhetorical devices, etc.

In the movie straight no chaser, a reporter asks thelonius monk if he likes music other than jazz. monk says “i like all kinds of music.” the reporter says “even country and western? do you like country and western?” and he stops and looks at her and says “i said i like all kinds of music.”

There's a part in the movie Bird, I believe, where they're listening to some parade march music with basically the same attitude. All the sounds and everything the musician ever experienced goes into the music.

I like to write poetry that acknowledges all my life experiences, feelings, etc. and accepts them as valid.

Back