Fuck the sunset, take the horse

ella, I enjoyed the cowgirl pinups but could not find one that suited me. Then Quasi gave me the pink sheep :rolleyes: .

Here's a soldadera from the "unfinished" Mexican revolution, closest I could find for a baca-muchacha.

Perdita

Attachments

• soldadera.gif
    soldadera.gif
    82.3 KB · Views: 13
Your sheep is spectacular, as sheep go. I want a sweater or some mittens when shearing time rolls around, okay?

whispering_surrender said:
Wait a second.......

What about cowgirls? Hmmm? They are romanticized in American western history as well. Do they do the same thing for the guys? Just curious.....

Whisper :rose:

No. Not for me. Not at all.

In fact, there is only one combination of clothes on a woman that I simply cannot abide, and that's cowboy boots and a skirt. I just think this looks so...so...so...so demented.

---dr.M.

dr_mabeuse said:

In fact, there is only one combination of clothes on a woman that I simply cannot abide, and that's cowboy boots and a skirt. I just think this looks so...so...so...so demented.

---dr.M.

Just a case of whatever yanks yer crank, I guess :)

Me, I love cowgirls :devil:

dr_mabeuse said:

---dr.M.

I'm so glad you didn't come into the restaurant I ran in Denver during Frontier Days. I had long dresses and cowboy boots on almost every day. Well, except the day I got talked into tight jeans with gunfighter holsters strapped on....but that's an entirely different story.....

Whisper :rose:

Have you ever had a gawk at a likeness of Belle Starr? Now, there's a hatchet-faced haridan for you.

And Jane Canary was nether handsome, nor chaste.

Only Phoebe Moses was anyone you would not insist, she at least wear a bag over her head (maybe even a plastic bag) and she was from Ohio.

Who is Phoebe Moses? She's better known as the "Little Sure-Shot," Annie Oakley.

But my real objection to cowgirls portrayed in old westerns, is when they show up wearing jeans.

That is SUCH an anachronism! :rolleyes:

Svenskaflicka said:
Dances With Wolves - Wind-in-Hair, Kicking Bird, even that little guy, Laughs-A-Lot...

*drool*
Mmmm... you are so right Svenska.
JJ

dr_mabeuse said:
there is only one combination of clothes on a woman that I simply cannot abide, and that's cowboy boots and a skirt. I just think this looks so...so...so...so demented.

Oh yeah? Well see if I offer to exercise your mustang, Mister Lone Ranger!

Granted, it's not as popular a look as the Nurse in Latex, but that's because the stockings run so easily.

Perdita, I love the pony picture. Here, in case you ever decide to go for the adult cowgirl, is a non-pinup version. A working girl in action:

Attachments

• cowgirlcompany_jpg.jpg
    cowgirlcompany_jpg.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 15
Speaking of "demented..."

This one is lovely also. If mine didn't have the adorable red boots that I wanted when I was a kid (to go with my silver cap-guns and plastic holster) I'd be wearing this cowgirl outfit:

Attachments

• cowgirlstandin.jpg
    cowgirlstandin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 20
Thanks, ella. That's a great photo, looks like me when with a particular former beau ;) .

Thanks, Mack.

yeehawing,

Perdita

When I was coming up I received as gifts two great books, Smoky and Lone Cowboy, by a real honest-to-God cowboy and artist named Will James. The latter was the autobiography of the author, and it was very interesting. He led a very interesting and very rugged life. Orphaned at a young age, he was raised by a friend of his father's, a French-Canadian trapper named Jean Beaupre, and they used to spend winters up in Canada trapping, which Will thought was a pain in the butt, and summers south of the [Canadian] border, working as itinerant cowboys. When his guardian went missing (presumed drowned) one spring, Will, only 13 or 14 at the time, took off south and spent the next several years working odd jobs, honing his riding, roping and horse-taming skills, and developing his skill as an artist. Since this was in the early 20th century, he was out west, and was fiercely independent, the child welfare system just was not there for him, and he would have eluded it if it had tried to be. Sometimes things got very tough for him; he served time in prison for manslaughter at around 17 on a charge that probably would not have stuck if he'd had counsel; later, he served more time for rustling cattle from an old boss who he felt had screwed him over. The number of injuries he suffered in the course of doing his work points up the hazardous nature of the old-time cowboy's life. By the time he became established as an artist and writer, he was pretty beat up and what passed as the medical establishment had advised him to try to find easier work. If you can find these two books in the library or somewhere, I recommend you give them a read. There's no sex in either of them--the nearest thing to it is when, as a teenager, he manages to defend his earnings from a dance-hall girl who tries to rob him--but you can't have everything.

I think a great deal of the Cowboy's appeal is that cowboys embody a great deal of the Masculine ideal. Strong, confident, self sufficient, take your pick. Hollywood romanticizes the cowboy because our old west history is still one of the most intrigueing periods and one of those that is easy to sell as romantic, wild and somehow better than today.

-Colly

I think the pure word "COWBOY" is very americana so to speak. Like when gary Cooper played in all those old cowboy movies he was suppossed to of had many ideal american values like, treating a lady right, being kind to neighbors -I mean fellow homesteaders:) and so forth. I like cowboy movies but I much prefer the likes of Sharon stone as a cowgirl in that western she made. Maybe me and her can ride off into the sunset together?:D

MR. Gibson' sexy tales!

The only thing I can add to this thread is be careful stretching that barbed wire. Ouchie!

Hey Dita!

Where did you find those vintage photos? I love the old time photos they are so revealing of the times especially the derroguatypes.

*HUGS*

-Colly

Colleen Thomas said:
Where did you find those vintage photos?
Colly, the little cowgirl is me at 10, and given my real age I guess they're "vintage", haha.

The soldadera is from a site on women of the Mexican revolution. There are many such, including info on the present Zapatista women, just use 'soldadera' as the search word.

best, Perdita

raphy said:
Not where I live, Mab .. Trust me ;)

I dunno about those weird continental Europeans, but the English tend to look at cowboys (and the 'Wild West' in general) as another example of 'American barbarism'

Not making a comment on my own personal opinions. I wouldn't dress the way I dress if I didn't like horses, riding and the Marlboro Man image, just reporting on what I see in the city I live in.

Oddly enough, The "Wild West" was far more peaceful with murders so limited that people would still talks about a single murder committed 20 years ago. In contrast, the civilized east have much higher rates of crime and murder which I think have a lot to do with many ethic groups crashing together in small space and competiting for favors from WASP. While "The Gangs of New York" is unrealitic with all those claws and other exotic weapons, it have the nasty tension between ethic gangs down cold.

sensualpilgrim said:
Oddly enough, The "Wild West" was far more peaceful with murders so limited that people would still talks about a single murder committed 20 years ago. In contrast, the civilized east have much higher rates of crime and murder which I think have a lot to do with many ethic groups crashing together in small space and competiting for favors from WASP. While "The Gangs of New York" is unrealitic with all those claws and other exotic weapons, it have the nasty tension between ethic gangs down cold.

Ah, I wasn't trying to claim that the american west was barbaric whilst the american east were civilized. From the point of view of much of the UK and Europe, there's really nowhere in the US that's civilized and cultured.

To quote someone I heard a while back "Real societal culture takes a damn sight longer than 200 years to evolve"

:)

raphy said:
From the point of view of much of the UK and Europe, there's really nowhere in the US that's civilized and cultured.

:D

raphy said:
To quote someone I heard a while back "Real societal culture takes a damn sight longer than 200 years to evolve"

...which is also why we get a better result...;)

Back