Gender bias in genital terms?

sweetnpetite said:
I would say most on the AH don't write this kind of drivel
Dear SnP,
Oh, thank you very much. It's always lovely to hear the heart and soul of one's art refered to as "drivel."
Harumph,
MG

Originally posted by dr_mabeuse
It's not the fact that the word has derogatory connotations that makes me avoid it. It's the sound of the word: blunt, brutal, and ugly. Almost the direct opposite of what I think of when I think of the object it refers to. It gives a certain tone to a piece of writing, one which I personally don't like or use much, though on occasion I do want the aural punch the word conveys.
I'm in complete agreement over here. You can call someone a pussy, but it's hardly as offensive a sound; it just doesn't have the same slap-in-the-face whipcrack that "cunt" does. And I refuse to use the word, whether in writing or in speech, because I know it was MEANT to have that sound, and I don't want to be the type of person who demeans women that way. I have similar sentiments for "twat," which isn't much better.

...Of course, in a few hours, I'll be writing my first non-consensual scene, and those words may show up a lot. Offensive as they are, they're still perfectly appropriate. But I don't have to like it.

sweetnpetite said:
So you can say, "she was covered in sperm" I guess but you can't say, "he could see his sperm all over her body. Nit picky of me maybe, but a sticking point nontheless.

'Sticking' point or 'sticky' point?

Sorry. It was just asking for it.

---dr.M.

LOL Doc. I was struggling to behave myself and not risk putting the sticky point in a vacant dialogue box where it has no business, but being terribly weak on willpower I was bound not to succeed. Happily I didn't have to point my sticky bit anywhere, however, because you beat me to the punch.

This is not to say, of course, that sweetnpetite's overall posting was not enlightening. It's just hard to resist giving a dangling pun a little flick to see if it spins. I actually agree with sweetnpetite that none of the words should offend if used in a correct context, but I also agree with Dr. Mabeuse that some just have a harsh sound, and I just don't like to refer to the tunnel of love that way.

GaryBob2 said:
. . . I just don't like to refer to the tunnel of love that way.

Then, I suppose, "taking the skin boat to tuna town" would be completely out of the running. :eek:

Quasimodem said:
Then, I suppose, "taking the skin boat to tuna town" would be completely out of the running. :eek:
Dear Quaz,
Burgess Meredith came a long ways from "Of Mice and Men," didn't he?
MG
You're the expert. Who played for foreman? Tim Holt? Bob Steele?

MathGirl said:
Dear Quaz,
Burgess Meredith came a long ways from "Of Mice and Men," didn't he? MG
You're the expert. Who played for foreman? Tim Holt? Bob Steele?

Lon Chaney Jr. crushed the hand of Bob Steele while Burgess Meredith tried to make his stop, but not even having George tell him about the rabbits got Lennie out of that fix.

I was never able to understand why Steinbeck didn't call his book, "Of Rabbits and Retards." :rolleyes:

Dear Quaz,
I was sure you'd know. It was Tim Holt who played Oscar de la Renta's mistress in "The Treasure of the Sienna Mammary."
MG

DurtGurl said:
Dear . . . bittch!!!! . . . Up yers, alla you. I'm leving.

Should have known if we publish a screenplay, we will attract the 'beautiful people' who hang out in the cinema crowd. :rolleyes:

Back