Got Flash?

the borders

Someone told me that I could turn them off. I do not remember who it was. I do know that her one fingernail was longer than all of the others. It was the one next to her pinky. I kept wondering what happened to the other nine to make them so ragged and short. Or what happened to the long one, maybe the others were the normal ones. But she told me how to turn them off. I am pretty sure it was her.

It was bad enough when the news stations started running scrolling text along the bottom of my screen, bringing me important information about Ben ad Jen and the dresses that walk down red carpets and Alert Colors. I have yet to be able to pay attention to a thing the man says in the middle. Letters are marching across my screen and disappeariing. Lets face it,I am not the fastest reader and if I look away for a moment they fall off the screen and it takes an hour for them to come back. Sometimes there is weather in the corner, which brings a lightning bolt flash, which is my favorite except the thunder shakes my head. Sometimes it is rain and that is almost as distracting as the : that blinks out the time in the lower corner as the numbers go up by one, I have to sometimes make sure they don't miss any.

There was something strange about her fingernails, I could not stop thinking about them. They were not even. It was the one next to the pinky, the ring man they call it. So she told me I could turn them off, the ads and pop-ups on my computer screen, but I don't remember how. But the adds flash from one thing to another, one has shorts turning into a t-shirt and then back to shorts, and I have to watch to see what they really are. Rainbow letters move from one color to another and that I cannot stop either. They make a pattern, it moves in a wave and then the pattern starts again. So you see my problem. The things around the edges are always more interesting than what it is I am supposed to be paying attention to.

They say it is the autism. I say I guess I say stick to books. Except under flourescent lights. They flicker. Sometimes hum too.

Last edited:
My First Flash Fiction

Let the Dog Drive
Hell, he can’t do any worse than you. Paws propped on a spit-slicked wheel—look at him! He wiggles like an eighteen wheeler three days without sleep. He’s squeezing water out both ends, he’s so excited. We’ll clean the upholstery tomorrow. Toss him the keys; let him see how a fancy key fob tastes.

Grrrrr! Vrooom! Not so different, after all.

He has waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited for this day. Marking time on the hydrants. Sniffing that new-car smell on the butts of our guests. And with his good grades at Obedience School we’ll get an insurance discount.

See how he checks the mirrors, signals his turns. He eases the car back down the driveway and shifts into forward. He’s waving his tail as he passes—Good job, Buddy! Now he hits the gas, swerves up over the curb into the yard and, despite my frantically waving arms, carves a big swath out of the front lawn before finding the brakes and screeching to halt on top of my other foot. See? I was right.

Back