Have you ever?

Sob

gauchecritic said:
I read one of the 'Discworld' series where the werewolf Angua after seeing her uncle being slain by the simple expedient of throwing a lit stick of dynamite in the air and shouting 'FETCH' has his head blown off, then turns to her beloved Carrot and asks of him "if I go wild promise me I'll die as quickly". That bastard Pratchett made me cry in the middle of a comedy.
Gauche

That scene with Angua von Uberwald and Carrot had the same effect on me. I think that's the most memorable scene Terry Pratchett ever wrote. I'm amazed at how you totally caught the scene in so few words.

The only thing that genuinely made me want to cry was the September 11th attack on New York. I could explain why but I don't think I need to.

Recently I read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy; each book is a fantastic sci-fi work in its own right, but the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts. The end of the final chapter ties together a sub-story that has been running unnoticed through-out, and makes a close to the story that chills and uplifts at the same time. It is the greatest love story I have ever read, and the final paragraph made me cry myself to sleep.

ax

SF: I'll call you by the two letters (if I remember :rolleyes:). To call you Svenska would be to ape the annoying American custom of calling a foreigner by his country. I got called England by tons of my American friends. I felt like pointing out that I'm not a rarity; there are more of us.

The Earl

I made it through the first 25 years of my life without as much as going to a funeral and then in 1994 I quit my job as an artist to go to nursing school. Since graduating in 1998 I have worked in two disciplines: Oncology (cancer) and Intensive Care. Now I watch people die everyday. Many are elderly but to often I see my share of young people as well.

If you have read my stuff you know most are poignant love stories of loss and longing. I truly believe this was my way of coping with the sadness I witness every single day. Last fall I finally buckled down and wrote “A Promise for Keeping”, a semi-autobiographical tale about a nurse and his dying patient. It was truly the most cathartic experience of my life.

Since “APFK” I have written and posted only one ‘Lit’ type story. What I now find myself writing are stories about (and this will sound depressing, but it is truly not) death: how people cope with the reality of it and find some purpose and meaning in it. So far I have not posted any of these but perhaps I will one day in Non-Erotic.

Like some of the post above said, writing about feelings such as these is a wonderful way of exploring your emotions and helping you cope. Plus it is a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy.

moved to tears?

I listen to opera regularly. There is passage at the end of Act One of Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss that can easily bring a tear to the eye. The Marschallin is an older woman who is in a relationship with a younger man. In a poignant moment she muses about getting older and the inevitability of her losing her lover to a younger woman.
The orchestral sound of Richard Strauss is very rich and the music is utterly beautiful. The combination of this and the sentiments of the Marschallin, make for a very moving experience.

Octavian
Bearer of the Silver Rose

Last edited:
Back