Help me decide.

unpredictablebijou said:
...and while this is my first Poetry Forum, ...
I've been on 6 poetry forums over the past 4 years. Most of these sites center around some "workshopping" mechanism to justify their existence. That is, you workshop some poems and then you are permitted to post one of your own for critique. It is very dull, very prosy, very much "bully-driven", and, thanks to them, I've come to the conclusion that "real poets don't workshop".

Here, there is no requirement to workshop. You can chat about sex without offending the wife of some reverend. And, to my knowledge, most of the moderators do not publicly interfere with what someone has to say. To put it another way, this is, thankfully, not a professional poetry forum. If you can find a professional poetry forum like this, please let me know.

To keep discussion diverse, you need to be able to tolerate people with diverse interests, even if they annoy you. Some people like to chat about sex, some like to discuss poetic theory, some like to play bully, some like to tease the bullies and watch them make an ass out of themselves, and others--really the most interesting ones of all--have got serious personal problems and can only really focus on these things. Their poetry I find the most touching and memorable.

This message is hidden because Eluard is on your ignore list.

Problem solved

I'll continue to write in the " Not sure" thread, as I've been doing, continue to flirt with the people I always have , and continue to make bad jokes knowing full well someone may think I'm planting secret hate messages in the text that only They know the real meaning of.

I hope this clears things up.

FifthFlower said:
I've been on 6 poetry forums over the past 4 years. Most of these sites center around some "workshopping" mechanism to justify their existence. That is, you workshop some poems and then you are permitted to post one of your own for critique. It is very dull, very prosy, very much "bully-driven", and, thanks to them, I've come to the conclusion that "real poets don't workshop".

Here, there is no requirement to workshop. You can chat about sex without offending the wife of some reverend. And, to my knowledge, most of the moderators do not publicly interfere with what someone has to say. To put it another way, this is, thankfully, not a professional poetry forum. If you can find a professional poetry forum like this, please let me know.

To keep discussion diverse, you need to be able to tolerate people with diverse interests, even if they annoy you. Some people like to chat about sex, some like to discuss poetic theory, some like to play bully, some like to tease the bullies and watch them make an ass out of themselves, and others--really the most interesting ones of all--have got serious personal problems and can only really focus on these things. Their poetry I find the most touching and memorable.

Completely agree with this — and, yes, real poets don't workshop. It's a fairly barbaric idea to foist this on contributors, and I'm glad it doesn't happen here.

Eluard said:
Completely agree with this — and, yes, real poets don't workshop. It's a fairly barbaric idea to foist this on contributors, and I'm glad it doesn't happen here.
Oh we do workshoppe... it's just not a requirement for membership. The simple rule that you only get back what you put in still stands firm at Literotica. Good quality critique to good quality critiquers will always get you at least one decent commentary to work through your edit with.

champagne1982 said:
Oh we do workshoppe... it's just not a requirement for membership. The simple rule that you only get back what you put in still stands firm at Literotica. Good quality critique to good quality critiquers will always get you at least one decent commentary to work through your edit with.

I agree that if you want a critique it is a good thing that you can get one here — but forcing people to be critiqued is just dumb, I think. I'm glad that doesn't happen.

I have a vivid memory of a poetry group a few years ago that met in a warehouse space. A reasonably well known Australian poet read a longish poem on a walnut tree that was outside his window. It seemed to go on and on and was clearly meant as a metaphor for something larger. But then we got to the possum in the tree amid the blossoms eating the nuts and the whole thing seemed like a metaphor that was out of control.

At the end there was the obligatory request for comments and, after a long silence, a middle-aged woman piped up with "But possums don't like those nuts!" I'm sure she was right — and I decided that night that I didn't like those nuts either.

Eluard said:
I agree that if you want a critique it is a good thing that you can get one here — but forcing people to be critiqued is just dumb, I think. I'm glad that doesn't happen.

I have a vivid memory of a poetry group a few years ago that met in a warehouse space. A reasonably well known Australian poet read a longish poem on a walnut tree that was outside his window. It seemed to go on and on and was clearly meant as a metaphor for something larger. But then we got to the possum in the tree amid the blossoms eating the nuts and the whole thing seemed like a metaphor that was out of control.

At the end there was the obligatory request for comments and, after a long silence, a middle-aged woman piped up with "But possums don't like those nuts!" I'm sure she was right — and I decided that night that I didn't like those nuts either.
LOL! Welcome to the peanut jar.

Tathagata said:
This message is hidden because Eluard is on your ignore list.

Problem solved

I'll continue to write in the " Not sure" thread, as I've been doing, continue to flirt with the people I always have , and continue to make bad jokes knowing full well someone may think I'm planting secret hate messages in the text that only They know the real meaning of.

I hope this clears things up.

Is that chimp one of the Nairobi Trio? He looks familiar.

Oh. I just engaged in middle-aged badinage with no direct poetic purpose. And I haven't written much in a few months--though I've written at least a thousand poems since I've come here--because I'm going through a horrible divorce and I'm stressed out. I'll just go stand in the corner. :cool:

Angeline said:
Is that chimp one of the Nairobi Trio? He looks familiar.

Oh. I just engaged in middle-aged badinage with no direct poetic purpose. And I haven't written much in a few months--though I've written at least a thousand poems since I've come here--because I'm going through a horrible divorce and I'm stressed out. I'll just go stand in the corner. :cool:

Angeline, you don't need to stand in the corner. and just for you, though its pure doggerel, I will paste here a little piece i wrote for a divorce party many years ago:

Ode on the Occasion of E’s Divorce Party
or
Don’t try this at home

by ogden nauseous

Now that you’re a divorcee
you might want to make him pay
Just remember, do no harm-a
So you will not have bad karma

We’re all tempted, it is true
to think of nasty things to do
But you must have strength and virtue
Or the threefold law will hurt you...

So here’s a list of things that you
Should never never never do:

NEVER take an apple red
imagine it to be his head
chant a spell that’s really simple
and curse him with a great big pimple

NEVER take a little bag
put in two pins and a rag
and send him, with a spell you know
excessive nose hair and B.O.

NEVER take a piece of string
and tie a knot into his Thing
or make a poppet six feet tall
and treat it like a soccer ball

NEVER burn a lock of hair
to give him baggy underwear
or bury pepper in a box
to give him scads of unmatched socks

NEVER burn some cedar grass
to curse him with incessant gas
or bury spoons from every State
to make him gain a lot of weight

NEVER make him smell like meat
or give him corns or stinky feet
or missing buttons or a rash
or fireplaces full of ash

NEVER make him lose his keys
or have the feeling he must sneeze
don’t give him a coolant leak
or a charley horse at passion’s peak

The list could go for pages more
of very Un-forgotten lore
But if you truly motivate
There’s endless things you can create

Just remember, what you do
will come back threefold to you
Revenge will bring you naught but sorrow
And if you want more ideas, just call me tomorrow.

unpredictablebijou said:
Angeline, you don't need to stand in the corner. and just for you, though its pure doggerel, I will paste here a little piece i wrote for a divorce party many years ago:

Ode on the Occasion of E’s Divorce Party
or
Don’t try this at home

by ogden nauseous

Now that you’re a divorcee
you might want to make him pay
Just remember, do no harm-a
So you will not have bad karma

We’re all tempted, it is true
to think of nasty things to do
But you must have strength and virtue
Or the threefold law will hurt you...

So here’s a list of things that you
Should never never never do:

NEVER take an apple red
imagine it to be his head
chant a spell that’s really simple
and curse him with a great big pimple

NEVER take a little bag
put in two pins and a rag
and send him, with a spell you know
excessive nose hair and B.O.

NEVER take a piece of string
and tie a knot into his Thing
or make a poppet six feet tall
and treat it like a soccer ball

NEVER burn a lock of hair
to give him baggy underwear
or bury pepper in a box
to give him scads of unmatched socks

NEVER burn some cedar grass
to curse him with incessant gas
or bury spoons from every State
to make him gain a lot of weight

NEVER make him smell like meat
or give him corns or stinky feet
or missing buttons or a rash
or fireplaces full of ash

NEVER make him lose his keys
or have the feeling he must sneeze
don’t give him a coolant leak
or a charley horse at passion’s peak

The list could go for pages more
of very Un-forgotten lore
But if you truly motivate
There’s endless things you can create

Just remember, what you do
will come back threefold to you
Revenge will bring you naught but sorrow
And if you want more ideas, just call me tomorrow.

You are a darling! <sneaks back to your post to read how to not--ahem--give him that big nose pimple>

Angeline said:
You are a darling! <sneaks back to your post to read how to not--ahem--give him that big nose pimple>

I think the feeling of having to sneeze is a particularly evil one. that's a very distracting sensation. and a baggy underwear spell doesn't bring TOO much bad karma...

bj

Sara Crewe said:
Heyyyyy, you told me that I was the only one!

*leaves in a jealous snit*

P.S. I miss Fly and Cali too. Good people and talented writers.

Hey SC:)

I correspond with Fly pretty regularly. He is very busy working ( travels with his work) and spending time with his family. he did mention that he misses this place.

unpredictablebijou said:
I think the feeling of having to sneeze is a particularly evil one. that's a very distracting sensation. and a baggy underwear spell doesn't bring TOO much bad karma...

bj

I'll go for it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who has to worry about karma in that relationship thus far.

Back