Holiday Gift Ideas: books books books

flyguy69 said:
Yes, Julie does! In contrast (for cross-dressing celebrities writing children's books), John Lithgow writes crap.

Will he never be allowed to put Roberta behind him?

;)

Curiouswife said:
My son's favorite so far has been The Catcher in the Rye. An oldie but goodie.

And on the lighter side, I already bought Emily the Strange to give as a Christmas gift.

Julia
I should have known you would have some good book ideas! At what age group is Emily aimed?

Alice the Fairy by David Shannon is a great read-to-me book.

I wouldn't buy the Emily series for young kids...not unless you want to give them nightmares. :rolleyes: I'd say it's aimed at early teens through adults. It really matters how much your kids have been exposed to, I guess. I have a very street-wise 9 year old niece who puts on my high heels and lipstick whenever she comes over. She gets a kick out of the Emily series.

Julia

Curiouswife said:
I wouldn't buy the Emily series for young kids...not unless you want to give them nightmares. :rolleyes: I'd say it's aimed at early teens through adults. It really matters how much your kids have been exposed to, I guess. I have a very street-wise 9 year old niece who puts on my high heels and lipstick whenever she comes over. She gets a kick out of the Emily series.

Julia
My kids give me nightmares. It only seems fair to return the favor. :D

I guess I'll stick with Pooh Bear for now.

wildsweetone said:
i have to add...

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. A wonderful series that can be read to younger children and older ones. *smile*

cool thread! i know a teen who wont pick up a book. it's hard work finding reading material to suit.
Cool teen books in the midst of a series' creation, (so you get the anxious waiting for the next to be released thrill) would be Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series. Book One is called Eragon and is about a 15 year old teen boy who finds a dragon egg and when it hatches his life changes from mundane farming to magical dragon riding. It is a brilliant book, written when Paolini was 16 years old himself! This book is available in paperback.

Book Two is titled Eldest. Eragon's adventures continue and he's taught, primarily, that you can't judge other's through their appearance. It is full of battles and magic and really is a fit sequel to the first book.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Book Three although Book Two has only been on sale, in hard cover for about 2 months. I really think this series would inspire your teenaged friend, WSO since first, it's about boys and swords and magic and dragons and second, the author being a boy himself, tends to avoid mushie love scenes and gratuitous sex.

some oldies but. . .

If any of you have any like 5th, 6th graders the Susan Cooper series incorporating some Arthurian legend are quite nice.
Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark Is Rising
Greenwitch

The Grey King
Silver on the Tree

And any Lloyd Alexander--my 4th grader just finished them up and adored them.

Plus if you are looking for any picture books for slightly older kids there is always Polar the Titanic Bear by Daisy Spedden. I love that one and so do both my kiddos. It's the true story of a family who survived the Titanic told from the point of view of a Steiff stuffed Polar Bear. Lots of real photos and nice informative bits plus great art, and a nice story.

Nothing too new there i'm afraid--but some of my favs. lol

Last edited:
The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville

About:

The Unicorn Chronicles follow the journey of Cara, a girl sent on a mission by her grandmother into Luster, the land of the unicorns. There she discovers the mysterious connection between her family and the unicorns and must battle the evil that threatens both their worlds. With the help of an unlikely band of friends and a magical amulet, Cara takes up the quest to save Luster and uncover the dark secrets of her family's past.

~~

My twelve year old has been waiting on book three of this series for over a year. She checked the websight for months. It's now done, Woohoo. Now to order a copy, lol.

:rose:

Bump for Boo!

Have I told you lately how much I adore you? How the HELL did you find this? I will read it in it's entirety TODAY!!

I'd like to ask- if anyone else adds here, and I hope you do, could you put an age range in? I have one 12yr old w/ his own Kindle, 1 11 year old who's a bit ambivalent about reading and a 4 yr old I don't know about yet. He likes to be read to at night, but I think that may be a ploy to stay up a little later.

But I HAVE to share this about him. I was sitting reading MY book one quiet rainy day and he went and got a book and sat on the other end of the couch. I hear him reading and w/o looking at him (cuz I didn't want him to stop) I hear "ramma ramma. Momma wamma wamma ramma and damma. Bamma wamma ramma, lamma pamma. ( I have my face buried in my book by this time cuz he's really reading w/ lots of expression and I was shaking laughing so hard. (He was 3) He goes on... jamma wamma wamma damma. The end.

I told him that was a very very good job! He says he learned it at school. (He wasn't IN school yet.) A couple days later I tell his Mom and she cracks up too. About an hour later she calls me and said "I figured it out!" Well, I said "Figured out what?" " He was reading Mama Llama And The Red Pajamas to me!" Ohhhhhh... I said. And the next day I got the book and read it because I had never even heard of it.

The moral here is PAY ATTENTION! You never know what you'll learn next!

Thank you, all of you who have contributed to this thread. Now I have to go look and see if I did! lol

Back