How do you react to negative feedback about your stories?

It depends on the poster's purpose of commenting. I like when they give me nuts'n'bolts items. "Hey, edit better because I saw some errors and it detracted from a decent story." Okay, cool, thanks. Even character comments are good, "I don't think the person would actually have done X and Y since their personality seems more like Z and I lost the engagement." That's great, thank you.

"OMG this is utter garbage and I hope all your characters and you die in a fiery car crash with an oil tanker on the interstate." That's specific and aggressive. I take that as a compliment because someone spent the actual time to tell me they don't care much for my words. I remember thinking once, "I own that person's time. Just a bit of their life belongs to me because they actually clicked and typed and wrote and felt emotions." I elicited something. Great. It's a compliment.

There is the odd useful bit I take note of, but by and large it provides me with a barrel of laughs on my commute to work with my coffee in hand :)

I received the ultimate negative feedback one on my oldest stories last week. He said, "I hate you and all that you stand for. Your activities disgust me". Actually quite proud of the extreme reaction I got.

If it's negative, I place upon them the curse of everlasting diarrhea, and delete.

If it's criticism in a helpful way, I don't delete, and I only think about placing the curse of everlasting diarrhea.

Back