How many BDSM’ers are out there?

BlondGirl said:
I know that "lesbianism" is listed in my code book. (Code referring to the codes used by insurance companies to refer to your illness(es) in their computer databanks.)

"Worn out" is also listed. I never found the right patient to use that one on though....
Oh, man, that is OLD! It's in the fourth edition now, and the fifth will come out in the next few years. Homosexuality hasn't been listed for a long time now.

And it's not just insurance companies that use the "codes", they're diagnostic measurements. I'm 314.01 (ADHD combined type), 296.33 (Depression, recurrent, severe without psychotic features), 300.02 (generalized anxiety disorder), and 307.42 (insomnia). Been diagnosed and medicated for all of 'em.

If you look at the first edition (1952) of the DSM of mental disorders, fellatio, cunnilingus, and masturbation are all mental illnesses. By 1980, with the third edition of the DSM, you find as mental illnesses reduced desire, incapacity, and so forth. And it's changing again. Psychology, in this sense, is very much a sociological creature. We follow the scripts of the society. When the society says it's good to have sex then it's psychologically sick not to, and when the society says it's bad to have sex then it's psychologically sick to [have sex].

- William A. Henkin

From the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

The DSM-IV defines mental disorders. Previous editions of the DSM listed sadism and masochism as diagnosable disorders just for having such fantasies or urges over a period of time. The new edition adds modifying criteria: with both masochism and sadism, both A & B criteria must be met in order to make a diagnosis. That is, you must have the fantasies, urges, etc., and the fact that you have them must make you effectively dysfunctional in an important area of your life.

Diagnosic criteria for 302.83 Sexual Masochism

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving the act (real, not simulated) of being humiliated, beaten, bound or otherwise made to suffer.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Diagnostic criteria for 302.84 Sexual Sadism

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving acts (real, not simulated) in which psychological or physical suffering (including humiliation) of the victim is sexually exciting to the person.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

catalina_francisco said:

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving acts (real, not simulated) in which psychological or physical suffering (including humiliation) of the victim is sexually exciting to the person.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.[/i]

From http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/sexsadismTR.htm -
(cautionary statement)
A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving acts (real, not simulated) in which the psychological or physical suffering (including humiliation) of the victim is sexually exciting to the person.

B. The person has acted on these urges with a nonconsenting person, or the sexual urges or fantasies cause marked distress or interpersonal difficulty.

Reprinted with permission from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Copyright 2000 American Psychiatric Association

Interesting that those parts are different.

Park Elliot Dietz (1990)
[P.E. Dietz is a forensic psychologist who consistently tries to point out the absurdity of the link between s/m devotees and psychotic criminals.]

According to Dietz, the five main differences between psychotic sadistic serial murderers and SM devotees:

1. Psychotics search for unwilling partners. S/M devotees use a "safeword" that the submissive can say at any time to end the scene, thus the submissive retains real control throughout the encounter.

2. Psychotics force their acts on the victim rather than aiming at pleasing the submissive (as in s/m). The psychotic sadistic acts are quite different from s/m practices, and usually include: forced anal penetration, forced fellatio, or violent vagina-penetration with various foreign objects -rather than the penis.

3. The sadistic offenders' demeanor is diametrically opposed to s/m devotees: usually the psychotic is detached and unemotional throughout the torture, while the s/m dominant appears to achieve a "high" or pleasure equivalent during the scene.

4. Psychotic criminals torture their victims, inflicting serious and permanent injury, trying to arouse terror in their victims. S/M devotees skillfully enhance the sexual arousal of their partner, following the rules and guidelines that were established before the scene, thus creating only the illusion that the submissive is not in control.

5. Psychotics usually have a past history of sexual crimes such as rape or incest. S/M devotees are average people who typically don't have criminal pasts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sociologists took their lead from the anthropologist Paul Gebhard, whose 1968 essay "Fetishism and Sadomasochism" undermined the idea of individual pathology by pointing to sadomasochism's cultural roots, and the futility of defining a widespread and diffuse sexual practice by reference to a few "extreme" examples. He stated that S/M practices were "only prevalent in its organized form in literate societies full of symbolic meanings." This means that far from being a manifestation of a base instinct, sadomasochism required a considerable amount of intelligence and organization.

Croctden said:
I'm just waiting for someone to talk about "curing" gays.
I think first you have to permeate them with seasoned salt, then wash and dry them, then age them. Or you can just immerse them in seasoned brine. :eek: ;)

Etoile said:
I think first you have to permeate them with seasoned salt, then wash and dry them, then age them. Or you can just immerse them in seasoned brine. :eek: ;)

Can I immerse you in seasoned brine? You are so hot.......lmao

Back