how often do you read your old poems

Data Settlement

Gentle men, Thanks for all your suggestions, but I fear it is all too late. Here is what happened.

My old Dell was too slow (200 MHz) and since it originally ran under Windows 95 its 4 gig HD was partitioned into two virtual drives, C and D, of 2 gigs each. When he "built" the new system he didn't even reinstall the old 4 gig drive, just used the 20 gig that I had supplied originally. - I had wanted everything the same, just faster and with 20 gigs of back up. It originally was to be a processor and HD upgrade, but most of the old parts would not work with the new stuff. It either wouldn't physically fit, or something about 16 vs 32 bit stuff.

When I got it back, not only was all my data missing, but so were all my software programs, (Word, Excel, virus protection, etc., everything) and my desktop was completely different. I complained of course, and he took the system back to port my software onto the 20 gig HD and make the old 4 gig HD the backup (his decision for technical reasons that I do not completely understand.) He moved my old C drive data onto the new drive by way of one of his shop storage drives. He says he also moved D (my data drive) onto his shop drive and then onto my 20 gig HD in the form of a massive folder which I could play with at my leisure. Then he did a complete scrub and reformat on my old 4 gig HD removing the partition and making it just a D drive. Finally he did a deep erasure of his shop drive. He says he does this every time he moves clients data in order to insure confidentiality.

When he fired my computer up the monster folder was not there on either drive and neither he nor I can find it. :( :(

well gosh Rybka, that totally sucks <big hugs> and a :kiss: hope you find it somewhere some day

and if string theory is correct, you have only 9 more dimensions in which to search for it..its out there :)
good luck, maria

Re: Data Settlement

Rybka said:
Gentle men, Thanks for all your suggestions, but I fear it is all too late. Here is what happened.

. He says he also moved D (my data drive) onto his shop drive and then onto my 20 gig HD in the form of a massive folder which I could play with at my leisure. Then he did a complete scrub and reformat on my old 4 gig HD removing the partition and making it just a D drive. Finally he did a deep erasure of his shop drive. He says he does this every time he moves clients data in order to insure confidentiality.

When he fired my computer up the monster folder was not there on either drive and neither he nor I can find it. :( :(

Hmmm is it then a case of a hidden file or folder/

That is what happened to Me some time back I run win2k and my profile on it was corrupted and could not locate My old email and contacts and folders that were all work related and I was dead without them. there is a search program out there that I used to find the files....and was able to retrieve all the data I had "lost"

If that is the case you may be in luck if the porting process did actually work in transferring your data onto the 20 gig..

It was a dos level program that I had to run. not a windows gui type one.

if it helps Try anything I am sure your data may still be around on that drive....

Razz

Last edited:
Re: Data Settlement

Rybka said:
Then he did a complete scrub and reformat on my old 4 gig HD removing the partition and making it just a D drive. Finally he did a deep erasure of his shop drive. He says he does this every time he moves clients data in order to insure confidentiality.
Then you have the actual drive that you had your data on once, but it has been reformatted? The most common ways to reformat a HD actually leavess all old data on the drive, but erases the info of where it lies physically. This means that someone with the right knowledge and the right software might be able to extract files and data from the "wiped out" old disk. Unless your guy did the same to you 4 GB as he did to the shop drive. But I see no reason why he would had needed that. I still suggest you find your local data recovering pros and let them take a look at the actual old disk.

Back