How often does your poetry reflect who you... aren't?

WickedEve said:
Hmm... I'm thinking about my bob Finds Love poems, where I write about a loner who has a passion for silent (dead, unconscious?) women and their lipsticks. I'm not bob, obviously, but is there a sliver of bob hidden inside me somewhere? Do we, as writers, tap into our dark side, crazy side, etc, when we write? Even though I'd never do what my bob does, I must have some darkness in me to create this character.
I wrote a lot of dark poetry that my ex inspired. (He actually inspired the bob poems.) Instead of writing too many poems about what actually bugged me or upset me about my time with the ex, I focused that energy into poetry like bob and Betty from Little Escapes, and other poems. Oh, the Let Me Out of This Box poem that was posted recently. I remember writing that a couple of years ago. I was quite pleased with the image of him tumbling down the stairs. :rolleyes:

good lord, I totally missed this post, good thing I did an egosearch. :D

ah HA! yes! it wouldn't come out of you, if it wasn't in you in some way! I totally related to your thought process of characters. I'm writing this story right now, about an innocent girl, a girl who does what she's told and is completely naughty and a man who is aggressive intelligent and knows what he wants and takes it. For all three people, I'm writing from my perspective. They are all me, and yet, none of them are me. I think our poems are "characters" too, they may not be me, but there is definitely something in me that makes them. *nods* I love when someone else helps me clear things up in my own head. Great discussion, Eve.

This discussion comes at a good time for me. For a while now, I have been trying to decide what POV to write a story about my great grandmother's murder. I wrote it down hurriedly on the dark poetry thread, but it really needs to be a story I think.

any suggestions on how I could make my decision? other than tossing a coin...:rolleyes:

Maria2394 said:
This discussion comes at a good time for me. For a while now, I have been trying to decide what POV to write a story about my great grandmother's murder. I wrote it down hurriedly on the dark poetry thread, but it really needs to be a story I think.

any suggestions on how I could make my decision? other than tossing a coin...:rolleyes:
murder? oh goodness. I'll go check it out on the other thread, first.

I just read it. Powerful stuff. It needs some work, but it's all there. I have ones like it that are waiting on me to fix them. One about a family member who broke out of jail (early 1900s) and took an old lady hostage. He put on her dress and tried to get out the front door but the police shot him down. Stuff like that. You understand, don't you, southern sister. :)
I'd stick with the pov you used. I love the refrain. I can't wait to see the final poem.

I first wrote the poem "the weight of tools" in a semi conscious state. When I typed it into the computer, I had this feeling it was not me in the poem.... I realized later that this poem was about two of my close friends, from her voice.

Seattles two "shopping "poems are written from the point of view of the shopper, who is not me, but a man who likes to buy everyday gifts for his lover, who will get to experience them in a way other than intended by God or the manufacturer.

"somewhere pinned below consent" is a combination of events that were shared in college freshman year.

I often do not know where my poems come from, often they biographical, but I hope that the variety of poems lets people know they are not all about ME! My goodness.

I have had to tell my husband "It is just a POEM" (even when sometimes it was more than just a poem)

Some like "Glass walkway" are half real, half fantasy, this did kind of happen to me, but behind a sliding glass door. Written from the perspective of the women he thought I was, not by my actual self.

Acting.

I often wonder what anyone here who has read my poems thinks about me and how close it is to how I see myself. Damn poets, so multi-faceted and hard to get a clear view of who they really are, probably because many of us are still trying to figure that out.

:heart: anna

WickedEve said:
Do you have poetry where the point of view may be from someone with a different sexual orientation, different race, gender, etc? Maybe poetry involving proclivities, beliefs or actions that are alien to you? Have you ever publicly shared a poem that caused you minor concern over the subject matter? Perhaps, you shared a poem about urinating on the neighbor's flowers--this sounds plausible. Of course, you didn't do it, but isn't it possible the reader will assume you did? Are there poems, with certain subjects, you simply won't publish for fear, or embarrassment, that the reader will come to an incorrect conclusion about you, the poet?

Yes

that is the feeling I had when I wrote STREETS ANNA

annaswirls said:
I first wrote the poem "the weight of tools" in a semi conscious state. When I typed it into the computer, I had this feeling it was not me in the poem.... I realized later that this poem was about two of my close friends, from her voice.

(i.e. the feeling above--this line is JC's bit--not part of the quote)

Seattles two "shopping "poems are written from the point of view of the shopper, who is not me, but a man who likes to buy everyday gifts for his lover, who will get to experience them in a way other than intended by God or the manufacturer.

"somewhere pinned below consent" is a combination of events that were shared in college freshman year.

I often do not know where my poems come from, often they biographical, but I hope that the variety of poems lets people know they are not all about ME! My goodness.

I have had to tell my husband "It is just a POEM" (even when sometimes it was more than just a poem)

Some like "Glass walkway" are half real, half fantasy, this did kind of happen to me, but behind a sliding glass door. Written from the perspective of the women he thought I was, not by my actual self.

Acting.

I often wonder what anyone here who has read my poems thinks about me and how close it is to how I see myself. Damn poets, so multi-faceted and hard to get a clear view of who they really are, probably because many of us are still trying to figure that out.

:heart: anna

Unless referring to something very specific, some of the things I write about only happens in my mind. Contemplations, dreams, fantasies, fears and nightmares. If that makes it more or less real than what happens outside of my cranium, I have no idea.

Yes, I'm nuts. So?

What's a poetry???

I feel I should know.....but I forget...

:(

The_Fool said:
What's a poetry???

I heard a rumor that you were abducted and taken to a very primitive country--without computers.

The_Fool said:
What's a poetry???

It's like um sonnets and sestinas. Go write some. You'll remember.

:D

:rose:

WickedEve said:
I heard a rumor that you were abducted and taken to a very primitive country--without computers.

Fooly was abducted? By whom? Aliens? Had they no paper? No pencils? ;)

UNDER STALIN

WickedEve said:
Do you have poetry where the point of view may be from someone with a different sexual orientation, different race, gender, etc? Maybe poetry involving proclivities, beliefs or actions that are alien to you? Have you ever publicly shared a poem that caused you minor concern over the subject matter? Perhaps, you shared a poem about urinating on the neighbor's flowers--this sounds plausible. Of course, you didn't do it, but isn't it possible the reader will assume you did? Are there poems, with certain subjects, you simply won't publish for fear, or embarrassment, that the reader will come to an incorrect conclusion about you, the poet?

(pronounce stalyeen)

it HAD to be who you weren't

Barush

(who is who he aren't at times)

WickedEve said:

Unfortunately no, I was not abducted. I have been chained to my work. Flogged incessantly with demands to get stuff done. Had my head squeezed dry of any information, useful or otherwise. And sent to bed late without supper...

The_Fool said:
I have been abducted by Suits...

Just so long as the Scotch is a good one. - preferably several. We may never see you again. :(l

Back