I am Music

Bob Dylan turned 80 today. Woah.

Post a favorite of yours if you have one. :rose:

I have to confess not knowing a great deal of Dylan's catalog, but I do have a sentimental favorite, Blowin' in the Wind, which I think I've known since I knew what music was, and when I first started learning to play piano, it was one of the first I learned to play. Coudn't play it right now if I had to, unfortunately.

My very favorite Dylan song is Never Say Goodbye, from the Planet Waves album. Unfortunately only covers are on YouTube. Alas.

I also really, really love Visions of Johanna and the whole Nashville Skyline album.

When I met eagleyez he had a small black-and-white postcard of Dylan tucked in a mirror. He was a big fan and loved Buckets of Rain from Blood on the Tracks (among many others).

My favourites would be All Along the Watchtower (electronic version(with inspiration from Jimmy Hendrix)with the Band, I still remember seeing them in Montreal in the 1970's),

Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands,

and Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (sorry all you tube too).

I just come to realize Bob did not originate the saying "Never trust anyone over thirty." Turns out it was Jack Weinberg of the Berkeley Free Speech Movement.

I happen to like cover versions, quite often more than the originals, but whatever. Here's a selection of them, along with Bob singing the same song, and some other weirdnesses thrown in.

All Along the Watchtower

Highway 61 Revistited

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Mr. Tambourine Man

One More Cup of Coffee

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

One of the weirder "versions" of Dylan is Mr Tamborine Man, a song cycle by the composer John Corigliano, based on seven "poems" of Bob Dylan (meaning song lyrics, of course). Corigliano's liner notes to the Naxos recording state: "A colleague suggested that I look into the poetry of the songs of Bob Dylan. Having not yet listened to the songs, I decided to send away for the texts only. . . and found many of them to be every bit as beautiful and as immediate as I had heard—and surprisingly well-suited to my own musical language. . . these would be in no way arrangements, or variations, or in any way derivations of the music of the original songs, which I decided to not hear before the cycle was complete." Given that Corigliano is just three years older than Dylan, I find the statement that he had "not yet listened to the songs" perhaps disingenuous or at least difficult to believe, but maybe he managed to avoid pop radio for most of his life. Anyway here's a performance of the compelte work, if you're interested.

Finally, here's Dylan covering a Warren Zevon song, along with zevon's original version:

Last edited:
I happen to like cover versions, quite often more than the originals, but whatever.

Cover versions can be amazing, and I also favor some over the originals. There are some songs I wouldn't have paid much attention to if not for a cover version. When I have more time, I'm going to go through some of your links. A few I'm familiar with, and some others have piqued my interest.

Cover versions can be amazing, and I also favor some over the originals. There are some songs I wouldn't have paid much attention to if not for a cover version. When I have more time, I'm going to go through some of your links. A few I'm familiar with, and some others have piqued my interest.
I need to go back and annotate that post. Not all of those covers are included because I think they're good (I'm looking at you, William Shatner). But I think they're all interesting.

I also want to recommend Todd Haynes' semi-biopic I'm Not There in which Dylan (or, technically, a Dylanesque character) is played by several different actors including Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and Cate Blanchett(!).

It is a Weinstein Company movie, just to warn anyone whom that might offend. Great movie, though.

Thank you poets, those who've responded this far and anyone else who joins in. I'll be listening to your posted music (though mercifully not William Shatner) over the next few nights. :heart:

It's hard for me to wrap my head around Dylan's influence, not only on music but modern culture. When I was in elementary school I remember learning to sing songs like Shenandoah or This Land Is Your Land because they represented American history and heritage. And now I know from raising my own children that they also learn Blowin In The Wind and Mr. Tambourine Man for the same reasons. It kind of blows my mind that Dylan is up there with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Oh and as to covers I'd add Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan. This CD/DVD brings together a great cast of gospel singers and studio musicians to perform songs from Saved and Slow Train Coming, Bob's albums from his born again phase. You don't have to be any kind of believer to appreciate these performances. They're just so good. Listen to Helen Baylor's cover of What Can I Do For You or Shirley Caesar just tearing up Gotta Serve Somebody .

My very favorite Dylan song is Never Say Goodbye, from the Planet Waves album. Unfortunately only covers are on YouTube. Alas.

I also really, really love Visions of Johanna and the whole Nashville Skyline album.

When I met eagleyez he had a small black-and-white postcard of Dylan tucked in a mirror. He was a big fan and loved Buckets of Rain from Blood on the Tracks (among many others).

Once a year or so, I end up doing a deep dive that might last for days that might stretch into weeks. I remember first listening to Blood on the Tracks at 17 or 18 and thinking "That's a weird name for a greatest hits record." and then, later, finding out: Oh, nope. They're all greatest hits records.

I love Shelter from the Storm, and Not Dark Yet, I Shall Be Released (but I like it better when Nina Simone sings it) Forever Young, All I Really Want to Do, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Every Grain of Sand (but I like it better when Emmylou Harris sings it) Hurricane, Duquesne Whistle, I even love Gotta Serve Somebody.

But the one that undoes me, the one that's like hearing it for the first time, almost every time I hear it, is: Most of the Time.

Bob's version

A cover by Sophie Zelmani

Once a year or so, I end up doing a deep dive that might last for days that might stretch into weeks. I remember first listening to Blood on the Tracks at 17 or 18 and thinking "That's a weird name for a greatest hits record." and then, later, finding out: Oh, nope. They're all greatest hits records.

I love Shelter from the Storm, and Not Dark Yet, I Shall Be Released (but I like it better when Nina Simone sings it) Forever Young, All I Really Want to Do, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Every Grain of Sand (but I like it better when Emmylou Harris sings it) Hurricane, Duquesne Whistle, I even love Gotta Serve Somebody.

But the one that undoes me, the one that's like hearing it for the first time, almost every time I hear it, is: Most of the Time.

Bob's version

A cover by Sophie Zelmani

I love Not Dark Yet. :rose:

Today is the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell's seminal album, Blue. It's not my favorite album of hers (that would be Hejira...or sometimes The Hissing of Summer Lawns), but the beauty and poetry of those songs and their poetical lyrics are undeniable. All I Want has been my go-to sing in the shower song for decades. eagleyez used to say it was the only time I sounded good singing. Sadly that is true.

I've read that Case of You was written about Leonard Cohen but who knows but Joni? Whoever it's about it's an exquisite lyric.

Anyway happy 50th to Blue!

Today is the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell's seminal album, Blue. It's not my favorite album of hers (that would be Hejira...or sometimes The Hissing of Summer Lawns), but the beauty and poetry of those songs and their poetical lyrics are undeniable. All I Want has been my go-to sing in the shower song for decades. eagleyez used to say it was the only time I sounded good singing. Sadly that is true.

I've read that Case of You was written about Leonard Cohen but who knows but Joni? Whoever it's about it's an exquisite lyric.

Angie, I would agree with your choice of favorite Joni Mitchell albums (though I would also include Turbulent Indigo as among my favorites), but Blue is clearly a high point in Joni's career--in many critic's assessments, the high point of her career.

And "All I Want" is probably my favorite cut on the album. It showcases the kinds of things I really like about Joni's music--her vocal phrasing; now lagging behind the beat, now accelerating to catch up or pass the beat, which gives the song it's kind of jazzy feel. And the use of the dulcimer, with its sweetly thin and tinny sound--a very folky instrument used in a very unfolky manner.

After reading your post, I got my old LP out and have now listened to it, full through, three times.

Great music. Thanks.

Angie, I would agree with your choice of favorite Joni Mitchell albums (though I would also include Turbulent Indigo as among my favorites), but Blue is clearly a high point in Joni's career--in many critic's assessments, the high point of her career.

And "All I Want" is probably my favorite cut on the album. It showcases the kinds of things I really like about Joni's music--her vocal phrasing; now lagging behind the beat, now accelerating to catch up or pass the beat, which gives the song it's kind of jazzy feel. And the use of the dulcimer, with its sweetly thin and tinny sound--a very folky instrument used in a very unfolky manner.

After reading your post, I got my old LP out and have now listened to it, full through, three times.

Great music. Thanks.

It really is amazing music. And I love that Joni has occasionally credited Laura Nyro as a source of early inspiration.

Part of what makes it so good imo is its minimalist feel.

I recently read an article where James Taylor talked about his love for "All I Want," and how it speaks to the conflict between wanting the more mundane things with her desire for freedom. I think that has been the underlying theme in much of her music, across albums.

He also said he believes that was her goodbye song to him. They were a couple when she wrote it. And then she left him at the airport when they were on their way to meet his parents. He says in retrospect she made the right decision as he was at the time about to succumb to years of serious substance abuse.

I also really like "Little Green," the lovely song she wrote for the daughter she gave up (they're now reunited).

Another Hooray for Joni but I'm a biased Canuck. I agree with Blue but have a soft spot for Court and Spark

Ahead of the 50th anniversary of Jim Morrison’s death, the Guardian ranks the top 50 Doors songs. I agree with Riders of the Storm but freely admit to a C&W bias.

All these look backs harkens back to a time when my hair was even longer than it is now in these not quite open covid times.

Ahead of the 50th anniversary of Jim Morrison’s death, the Guardian ranks the top 50 Doors songs. I agree with Riders of the Storm but freely admit to a C&W bias.

All these look backs harkens back to a time when my hair was even longer than it is now in these not quite open covid times.

Thanks for sharing that article. I'm not a big Doors fan but I really liked the the Light My Fire album, mainly for Soul Kitchen, Break On Through, and their take on Whiskey Bar.

I saw a cartoon for the "Purple Haze Retirement Community." And here I am lol.

...freely admit to a C&W bias.
Maybe you'd like one of the other oldies I've been listening to this weekend: Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

That Doors' list was kind of interesting. Like Angie, they're not one of my favorite bands, so I'm not sure what I'd rank first. Probably either "The End" or "Not to Touch the Earth" would be what I would pick because they're both really weird songs. The former is forever linked in my head to the insanity that is Apocalypse Now and the latter ends with the classic Morrison line "I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."

Blue Monk

First
piano slices on your palate,
then black, yes black treacle sliding
on your mind, smooth ‘n sweet.

Now a mustard and honey blend,
piquant, touching every taste bud.

Crisp not rounded, edgy, a new tang.
Indulge in spice, then
palate-cleansing ice cream to finish.

Blue Monk

First
piano slices on your palate,
then black, yes black treacle sliding
on your mind, smooth ‘n sweet.

Now a mustard and honey blend,
piquant, touching every taste bud.

Crisp not rounded, edgy, a new tang.
Indulge in spice, then
palate-cleansing ice cream to finish.

GP in the house!

Thank you. That was indeed delicious, both words and music. Quite the lineup of sidemen. I :heart: Roy Haynes (and you).

Maybe you'd like one of the other oldies I've been listening to this weekend: Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

I know is and have it on vinyl. I'll double down on my C&W bias by adding New Riders of the Purple Sage

That Doors' list was kind of interesting. Like Angie, they're not one of my favorite bands, so I'm not sure what I'd rank first. Probably either "The End" or "Not to Touch the Earth" would be what I would pick because they're both really weird songs. The former is forever linked in my head to the insanity that is Apocalypse Now and the latter ends with the classic Morrison line "I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."[/QUOTE

I definitely share your association of the Doors music and Apocalypse Now but the one that comes first is the helicopter scene with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries (Apologies in advance for the Expedia ad that "takes you there.)

I know is and have it on vinyl. I'll double down on my C&W bias by adding New Riders of the Purple Sage

That Doors' list was kind of interesting. Like Angie, they're not one of my favorite bands, so I'm not sure what I'd rank first. Probably either "The End" or "Not to Touch the Earth" would be what I would pick because they're both really weird songs. The former is forever linked in my head to the insanity that is Apocalypse Now and the latter ends with the classic Morrison line "I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."[/QUOTE

I definitely share your association of the Doors music and Apocalypse Now but the one that comes first is the helicopter scene with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries (Apologies in advance for the Expedia ad that "takes you there.)

I love both those versions of You Ain't Goin Nowhere. To my ear the Byrds version leans more country, whereas New Riders sounds more folk rock/Americana. And of course Dylan hovers over it all.

I saw a compilation video recently (sorry can't find it now) of 100 songs from the 1960s. It didn't claim they were the best, just one hundred quick clips of about ten seconds each. A few things struck me: 1) there was some really sappy crap (cough... Bobby Vinton...cough); 2) there were some glaring omissions (no Stevie Wonder or James Brown!); 3) some artists just stood out as above the fray because they had a unique sound like the Beatles and Stones (duh), but also the Byrds. :)

If you have HULU I can highly recommend two shows:

McCartney, a series wherein uber-producer Rick Rubin (P-Funk, Red Hot Chili Peppers and many more) and Sir Paul hang around an old mixing board and piano and discuss the Beatles, Wings, Paul's incredible long career and more. Mostly it's a songwriting seminar with the songs some of best of popular music (yeah mostly Beatles,but much more). The revelations about how songs came together, last minute choices and experimentation are just astonishing. Yes, I know, I'm really biased but I also know this is really good. It's a master class in artistic expression.

The Summer of Soul is a documentary produced by Questlove (who you may know as drummer/founder of the great soul/rock/jazz fusion...and more!... band The Roots). The doc presents footage from The Harlem Cultural Festival, a series of concerts held in Harlem the summer of 1969 (same summer as Woodstock). Unlike Woodstock the Festival got little press outside the NY metro area and the tapes which showcase amazing performances sat in a basement for 50+ years until they were recovered. It's a terrific doc, not just for the performances but the expression of Black Pride as it flowered in the late 1960s. Really good stuff that has been getting the love it deserves at Sundance and Cannes.

And y'know if you don't have HULU you can get a free 30-day trial. Just saying. :)

Another friend also mentioned the McCartney documentary recently, and he loved it. The other one sounds interesting, too. I'll have to check those out. :)

At a bar last night for a friend's gig, and they covered this song. Right in the middle of my good time, it took the wind out of me for a little bit. Figured that if I couldn't hold back the tears, it might be worth sharing.

This is Million Tears by Kasey Chambers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxRs6VKp4wA

Back