I just took stock

MathGirl said:
Dear Dr M,
I can tell you're in the holiday spirit, already.
MG

You're damn tootin'. Grease up those dreidels and bring on Channukah Bill!

---dr.M.

I'll have you know I took MY two kids out trick-or-treating for about an hour and a half (when they had scored four and a half pounds each and Mama's legs gave out). I cannot resist the chance to re-enact my childhood and steal all the Junior Mints from their bags. :) I hated Sugar Daddies, I recall. Do they still make those? Sometimes I wanted to firebomb the factory so that I would never get another rock-hard, tooth-extracting caramel pop in my bag. Some years they accounted for fifty percent of my haul. :p

But no, there were not a lot of people working our immediate neighborhood. The bigger street near us, the one with the million-dollar houses and the fancy light-up decorations, had a moderate throng. This is a quiet neighborhood on the whole--I've seen only one smashed pumpkin in the street this week.

MM

But Jenny, the tradition can't stop - how else will we be able to see your wonderful costumes?

dr_mabeuse said:
Heath bars are good... I heard that they tile the outside of the space shuttle with Heath Bars for re-entry. The creamy chocolate burns away in the upper atmosphere but the rich toffee filling is stable at temperatures of over 3000 deg F.

Hey Doc - that'd make for a really funny SF story - kind of the Space Balls genre. After they land you could have the astronauts try to eat their way out of the shuttle. I could see the legal ramifications - the candy company suing the makers of the tiles for overtesting the product - people up and down the assembly line eating Heath bars instead of attaching them to the tiles.

-FF :D

Last edited:
ffreak said:
But Jenny, the tradition can't stop - how else will we be able to see your wonderful costumes?

Hey Doc - that'd make for a really funny SF story - kind of the Space Balls genre. After they land you could have the astronauts try to eat their way out of the shuttle. I could see the legal ramifications - the candy company suing the makers of the tiles for overtesting the product - people up and down the assembly line eating Heath bars instead of attaching them to the tiles.

-FF :D

More like veggietales.

You have the USS Applepies and the re-entry ships covered in the toffee!

DO I ever regret watching the series... maybe..

Holiday spirit

Originally posted by dr_mabeuse You're damn tootin'. Grease up those dreidels and bring on Channukah Bill!
Dear Dr M,
Are you gonna blow the shofer again this year or just give him a tip?
MG

Re: Holiday spirit

MathGirl said:
Dear Dr M,
Are you gonna blow the shofer again this year or just give him a tip?
MG

My chauffeur does circumcisions on the side. He doesn't need any more tips.:D

---dr.M.

I've never actually seen a trick-or-treater.

I dunno. Halloween always seemed like a very American thing where I lived. This year was the first that I'd ever dressed up for Halloween.

The Earl

Hi, all,

We live in a relatively new neighborhood, developed out of farmland and as it is a cul de sac, it is very safe area to spend an hour or so collecting four or five pounds of candy. It was delighful weather this year, so that was definitely in the trick or treaters favor.

This year we did not have the number of visitors as in the past, but when we did they were large groups of kids. Did have some candy left over, but not as much as my teenagers had hoped to have to 'help with'. We attributed the decline to it being a Friday night and a lot of folks having parties.

As for Halloween ending, no chance of that here. Folks take their Halloween decorations VERY seriously and there are a few that compete at a pretty high level. Most have multiple carved Jack O' Lanterns and lights. We usually have a Giant Pumpkin that gets carved, but did not this year. My favorite decorations are the 'crashed witch' on our fence and our Bates Motel sign.

As for Frozen Snickers, MG, have I got a treat for you. Klondike/Breyers/Good Humor now makes a Planters Ice Cream Bar that includes caramel and real peanuts. Check it out in your grocers Specialties freezer and if they don't stock it, get them to order it. They come 24 to a box if you buy it by the case.

OldnotDead said:
As for Frozen Snickers, MG, have I got a treat for you.
Dear OnD,
There's a Dryer's ice cream with busted up Snickers bars. I buy by the half gallon. Another favorite: Melt Heath bars in a pan and use that for topping on vanilla ice cream. Yumm
Hungrily,
MG

MathGirl said:
Dear OnD,
There's a Dryer's ice cream with busted up Snickers bars. I buy by the half gallon. Another favorite: Melt Heath bars in a pan and use that for topping on vanilla ice cream. Yumm
Hungrily,
MG

OK, you caught me after supper as I sneak off to the freezer to reduce the inventory of Planter's ice cream bar's by one. . . maybe two :)

As for KILLER desserts, I offer up two.

1) Served at the best seafood restaurant in Connecticut - The base is a on inch thick brownie pie, topped by coffee ice cream (but you can make it whatever you prefer) of about 3-4 inches, topped by another three or four inches of very stiff whipped cream. Sliced into 'slivers' of only a couple of inches at the circumference, then generously drizzled with chocolate sauce and topped with nuts, again of your choosing.

Skilled regulars can eat it without it toppling. Some of us don't care :)

2) Chocolate decadence. While we have been tempted to use this as a base for all kinds of depraved desserts, this is another 'pie' that is only an inch thick, and baked in an 8 inch round cake pan. but when I tell you that there is no other ingredient of any substance other than the various chocolate, to a total weight of two pounds, is it any wonder that most people have trouble finishing more than a small slice?

Deliciously,

I think if we're ever contacted by extraterrestrials, it'll be because they want our chocolate.

---dr.M.

Back