Is Literotica a 'Male Centric' site?

Not a lot of female nymphomaniacs willing to admit what they are and enjoy it in real life.
No, though I tend to write women more open to it than most women in real life are. And my Aces universe, which my WIP vaguely happens in, one of the consequences of the whole 'pocalypse is that the social and cultural hangups have been swept away.
I don’t think I’ve ever written a character as a faceless prop, though opinions may vary as to what that is.
It's a very short story, ( At the Big Bay Window - He was just a reflection in the glass, a black silhouette ) about a completely anonymous consensual encounter at a party, that kind of party. She never sees his face, before, during or after, and they never speak. Told from her POV. He's a prop, for the purpose of the story, but he has agency, he takes the initiative.

Every couple months I will open about 50 stories, and at least 40 of them will then get closed within half a page. That's say an hour of my time? Followed by another hour or so of reading enjoyment, ideally.

I imagine many people are the same. Views (how many people click on a story) certainly don't represent reads - actual reads probably are closer to the numbers of votes, sadly.

Given the stories I don't even click on because the descriptions are so banal, vs some stories that are adequate but just not my thing, I'd certainly hypothesize that 90% of Lit stories are, indeed, crap. Some are fun crap, most are just tedious if you aren't the author visualising certain things as you read.
Thread derail, but, see, this is where lists could really work. If an established author with a large following (or even a respected commenter) curated several lists that could be an absolute boon for avoiding the dross. Of course, I appreciate that they would have to read a lot...

I'd love to read a list created by @onehitwanda or @Jackie.Hikaru for instance (I mean, I've read every thing on their favourites lists already...)

Every guy I have talked to that was not an author said they hadn't read any of the stories :)

I wonder if we're still seeing a difference in the sexes when it comes to older generations being online? Government policy claims that many 'elderly' struggle to use the internet because they've never had to, especially women. I suspect we're now getting past that, seeing as even my mum in her 80s now loves her iPad (having previously been the type to phone up and demand IT support from the penis-wielding spouse, along the lines of 'where have all my little pictures gone? What do you mean, minimised?'), but it's probably still relevant.

Fanfic on large sites seems to skew mostly female-produced and female-read, with huge variation in age and education level depending on which fandom you look at (Peter Wimsey vs Harry Potter fic are very different... and K-pop fic often makes the HP stuff look erudite). I can't recall ever once tripping over a fanfic that's hugely misogynistic, even though a leading fic site permits all sorts of abuse and also underage stuff to be written about. There's probably other sites that would have potential readers of such material.

I think the whole "old people can't use computers" thing is rapidly becoming an outdated stereotype. We've sort of locked in this caricature of "old people". There was a news story here a few years ago about a woman upset because she had ordered a graduation cake for her son and the automated system had kicked it back for profanity. Seems the computer didn't know Latin and was thrown off that the lad had graduated Magna Cum Laude.
The mom was talking about how embarrassing it was to have to explain the problem to her own 60 whatever year old mom.
I did the math, she'd turned 18 in 1965, pretty sure she'd heard that word before in both contexts.
By that same token, computers were becoming common by the mid 80s, and that was 40 years ago. So most 60 and even 70 year olds were exposed to them their entire working lives.
Plenty of 80 year olds on their smart phones and tablets.

I think the whole "old people can't use computers" thing is rapidly becoming an outdated stereotype.

Definitely. I'm in my 50s and have been using computers since the 1980s. My parents use computers daily. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were born before me. I'm not an especially technological person and have never learned how to program or anything like that but I've used computers almost daily for decades.

Thread derail, but, see, this is where lists could really work. If an established author with a large following (or even a respected commenter) curated several lists that could be an absolute boon for avoiding the dross. Of course, I appreciate that they would have to read a lot...

I'd love to read a list created by @onehitwanda or @Jackie.Hikaru for instance (I mean, I've read every thing on their favourites lists already...)
Lists can be made public now. Authors could do this if they wanted to.

In the present and near future, the 'old people can't use computers' stereotype is still somewhat true, but it's not because they don't know how to use any computers, it is/will be thanks to the rapid pace of redesigns and software sunsets and increasing reliance on AI 'assistants' to compensate for not wanting to take the time to test products with the public to make sure they're intuitive or at least generally navigable.
ea15b8d1-3e9e-41a9-be43-38ca7c40529d_text.gif

Oh no. People are reading my favorites list? 😳
shit shit shit HULL BREACH PURGE IMMEDIATELY shit fuck bugger cunt fuck...

😥

that was too close.

in all seriousness, Jackie H and JCMcNeilly get two thumbs up from this Iguanadon. Jackie's Star Crossed made me blub, and JC's A Girl Named Mitch is just chefs-kiss-gorgeousness HEA stuff.

Then, from the male-but-definitely-in-touch-with-his-inner-lesbian is Bramblethorn, who wrote the sublime Anjali's red scarf that is so very, very much my guilty pleasure. It's like chocolate body paint for my soul.

I'd suggest reading anything by these three. AND THEN READ THEIR FAVOURITES MUAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I would say yes to the original question. I am new here and have been reading a lot of the threads up to now and what I have noticed is that men here are way too gullible and lazy it seems, a reverse image search is one of the easiest things to do. Also I would guess that the women here are way less than what the stats would indicate as there seem to be men pretending to be women for whatever reason everywhere!!
A reverse image search on what? I don't understand what that gets you. From an avatar? Most are cartoons or graphics, and surely you don't think people use real pics in avatars?

A reverse image search on what? I don't understand what that gets you. From an avatar? Most are cartoons or graphics, and surely you don't think people use real pics in avatars?

On this page alone I count at least three people using photographs of real people as their avatars. I don't think any of them are being deceptive, but some people will swipe a stranger's photo from some other site and try to pass it off as their own. On the other side of things, some will assume any sexy-lady pic is a real photo of the user, even when the user didn't intend it to be taken that way.

It's particularly big with lonely-hearts scammers on places like Facebook and LinkedIn. Some use AI-generated "photos" but many still yoink a pic from somebody blameless and use it as their own. In that case being discoverable may be intentional; anybody canny enough to use an image lookup is probably not a good mark for a scam, so the scammers can let them weed themselves out early and not waste time on a bad prospect.

In the present and near future, the 'old people can't use computers' stereotype is still somewhat true, but it's not because they don't know how to use any computers, it is/will be thanks to the rapid pace of redesigns and software sunsets and increasing reliance on AI 'assistants' to compensate for not wanting to take the time to test products with the public to make sure they're intuitive or at least generally navigable.
ea15b8d1-3e9e-41a9-be43-38ca7c40529d_text.gif

I'd disagree with that, if anything computers of any sort have gotten consistently easier to use.
3 year old kids can navigate a tablet, and it's only going to get easier.

I'd disagree with that, if anything computers of any sort have gotten consistently easier to use.
3 year old kids can navigate a tablet, and it's only going to get easier.
They're being raised with them. My mother still types e-mails with all caps.

But no one trained them how to use them. People literally hand the kid a tablet and let them go. It's that easy.

I've worked with immigrants and refugees. The kids learn English in weeks and the parents struggle for years. Kids are learning machines.

Definitely. I'm in my 50s and have been using computers since the 1980s. My parents use computers daily. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were born before me. I'm not an especially technological person and have never learned how to program or anything like that but I've used computers almost daily for decades.
This for me too. I was involved in uses for (and problems of using) the Internet as soon as it was coming in.

I'd argue that KeithD and Simon are actually far more tech savvy than my generation, the "digital natives" who grew up with it.
Had a Computer Science Prof in college who wrote WYSIWYG on the board and asked if any of us knew what it meant. 60 some odd Freshman and Sophmores, one guy raises his hand, the old guy in the class, in his 40s.
He went into the history of word processors, back in the day with no mice you just had to know a bunch of commands to make anything happen. And no Googling or YouTube to bail you put.
Told my Great-grandmother about it later, she's in her 90s and she laughed and told me about learning Word Perfect and Lotus 123 when the office she worked in went to computers.
I realized really quickly my generation is on easy mode.

And no Googling or YouTube to bail you put.
Yeah, I had to learn programming from books. Spent a lot of time in B&N agonizing over which one to spend my last twenty bucks on.
I'd argue that KeithD and Simon are actually far more tech savvy than my generation, the "digital natives" who grew up with it.
"Tech" is no longer a single category. I can write code, but I don't know much about using a tablet/phone beyond basic stuff. I can't physically repair a computer, aside from the most basic stuff. I use Linux, but mostly because it makes programming easier. And because it's free, it has better security, it doesn't do wierd shit when it updates, and for other uses it isn't much different than other desktop OSs now. I can't do much fancy stuff with it. But put me in front of a Windows computer now, and I'm lost. And I never really did get Mac's way of doing things.

'Savvy' comes in a lot of nearly unrelated flavors.

Back