Is there a long delay in stories getting reviewed for publication?

If there's a bot reading it looking for underage material, one of the characters tells a story from childhood. It has nothing to do with sex, which would be blatantly obvious to a reader.
That could easily be enough to bounce that chapter sideways, to put it into the "human eyes" pile, depending on what words you used.

Keep in mind a word finding bot isn't a reader, it can't see context, just a word. Writing "thirteen racing cars" could easily trigger a bot thats looking for ages under eighteen.

Comparing it to the actual number of stories getting published. Based on Electric's logic, it would be an infinitely expanding queue.
My logic was misleading, on face value. If the site publishes a hundred stories a day, that's the queue throughput, but what we don't always know is the queue duration, how fast the conveyor belt moves.

If my stories regularly take 2 - 3 days to get published, I can reasonably infer there's a couple hundred stories ahead of mine, if everything moves at the same pace. But we know that's not true, because some stories go up in a day, some go up in a week.

You also need to factor in that Laurel tries to keep the category uploads fairly steady - which means for some of the smaller categories you might be in a batch, or in a lull between batches.

There are too many variables to predict it, but one thing is certain, you won't get any personalised feedback unless it's been hauled out of any crack it's fallen through. Laurel acknowledging a long delay in a PM response is fairly unusual, I think (as has happened to me).

Ten days is still within the realm of random variance. I've got a submission take this long to get approved, even if these days it only takes a day or two. New authors very likely receive additional scrutiny.

The feedback section in your profile is for readers to send you feedback, not for you to send a query to the site. To quiz the site, you should send a PM to Laurel
Sorry, I have confused you. Your home page is in the private section, not the public profile page. Under the help tab, you have a feedback message you can send to I assume tech support. I have done this and am resending the waiting chapters. Fingers crossed it is not a glich.

Sorry, I have confused you. Your home page is in the private section, not the public profile page. Under the help tab, you have a feedback message you can send to I assume tech support. I have done this and am resending the waiting chapters. Fingers crossed it is not a glich.
That might go to an email link, which hasn't been reliable in the ten years I've been on Lit. I'd suggest you send a PM to Laurel, who is the site editor.

FYI- this occurred on my very first submission of an essay recently. I thought maybe because I’m a newbie, but after more than a week I found this thread and decided to edit and resubmit. Got published within 2 days. Sometimes things get stuck in the intertubes.

That could easily be enough to bounce that chapter sideways, to put it into the "human eyes" pile, depending on what words you used.

Keep in mind a word finding bot isn't a reader, it can't see context, just a word. Writing "thirteen racing cars" could easily trigger a bot thats looking for ages under eighteen.

FYI- this occurred on my very first submission of an essay recently. I thought maybe because I’m a newbie, but after more than a week I found this thread and decided to edit and resubmit. Got published within 2 days. Sometimes things get stuck in the intertubes.
I submitted a story on 7/25, and I was still waiting some response when realized that I used a lot of references to numbers in my story. I also couldn’t be sure that I didn’t fall victim to the glitch people are talking about. I carefully edited my work to remove these references and resubmitted. Crossing my fingers. ✌️ Will update on what happens.

I also couldn’t be sure that I didn’t fall victim to the glitch people are talking about. I carefully edited my work to remove these references and resubmitted. Crossing my fingers. ✌️ Will update on what happens.
Good luck. Resubmitting seems to be what causes the glitch - I haven't seen anyone where they didn't edit and resubmit say they got caught by the glitch.

But it seems to be a low likelihood. Most edit/resubmits seem to work fine, though it does kick you to the back end of the queue again.

I haven't seen anyone where they didn't edit and resubmit say they got caught by the glitch
Partial take-back! Just now I saw someone say that a glitch like this can happen without being caused by a resubmit, and that resubmitting will fix it.

They didn't say it happened to them, though, so, it's possible that we're playing a game of telephone and who even knows what causes the glitch or what fixes it.

All I can say for sure is that I've seen people say that, if it's been a while and someone PM's Laurel about it, she will fix the glitch promptly if it's really "the glitch" where the story isn't in the queue at all.

If it is in the queue and just taking a long time, you never hear back from her and still just wait your turn.

Back