length of story

Weird Harold said:
If you submit a text file or Word document, you can exceed that limit by whatever amount you want -- up to 32,000+ lit pages. (NOT that I'm recommending submitting an entire saga as one story. ;)) However, there is at least one story here at Lit that is 150,000+ words in single submission.

Did we really need to know that?

In future, please censor your comments for the weakhearted WH.

*faints*

Sugarpuss said:
Thanks for the information, I didn't even realize I had a word count function (duh--take the tutorial, Sugarpuss). My word count is 6,141 and the character count (with spaces) is 32,969.

That's well within the range for a short story -- not quite two Lit pages.

For a print publication, 6,000 words is actually on the short side of a "Short Story" and verges on being a "Short Short Story." For online publication, 5,000-6,000 words is about average for the stories I find on the various erotic story sites I visit.

The problem with using MS Word's character count is that Lit (and HTML format in general) strips out a lot of the spaces that Word counts. HTML ignores leading and trailing spaces, but Word counts them all.

Sugarpuss said:
Thanks for the information, I didn't even realize I had a word count function (duh--take the tutorial, Sugarpuss). My word count is 6,141 and the character count (with spaces) is 32,969.

As I stated before, this is well within the normal range for short stories posted on this site. You shouldn't have any trouble at all submitting it as long as it isn't full of spelling, and grammatical errors. By the way, don't just do a spell check, read the story again and check for words that have been substituted wrongly by your word processor, and change them.

DS

Back