My first submission

well first of all, i wouldn't call that a critique, let alone a constructive critique. what i would call it, is an opinion that is fairly bland in and of itself; having said that, if i got a opinion like that on one of my pieces, it would certainly push me into looking at how things might be changed or, at the very least, if they really did need to be changed. it would have to depend on the source of the opinion, of course. the very fact the writer got a reply at all is, to be fair, something to be appreciated as it gives some insight as to how even one individual is receiving their writing.

a constructive critique offers a well-balanced view of a work, highlighting its strengths as well as its weaknesses and pointing out where/how improvements might be made, giving the writer that insight as to how their piece affects the reader so they know if something works in the way they'd intended it to. too many 'critters' offer only jaundiced, throw-away comments which are more about making themselves look smart/witty/jaded with those not at the same lofty cloud of literary achievement as themselves than about the piece of writing they should be addressing. a well-balanced crit can make all of the points that SJ's post did, but offer encouragement for the aspiring writer.

The uni writer's program I'm in requires that we participate in giving and receiving creative criticism. The general guidelines are the you try and sandwich negative comments between positive and try to balance the number also that the criticism should be limited to that which will help the writer improve the piece. Simply telling someone that their piece sucks does not help at all. Frankly I tend to go by the old rule 'if you can't say ANYTHING nice, don't say anything at all'.....

Last edited:
The uni writer's program I'm in requires that we participate in giving and receiving creative criticism. The general guidelines are the you try and sandwich negative comments between positive and try to balance the number also that the criticism should be limited to that which will help the writer improve the piece. Simply telling someone that their piece sucks does not help at all. Frankly I tend to go by the old rule 'if you can't say ANYTHING nice, don't say anything at all'.....
;)
it's pretty hard to find a piece where there's not one positive thing to mention about it, even if it's a case of mentioning the few well-placed words or the sense of passion you feel the writer's written from, even a line-break that makes the phrase/s work better than they might have otherwise. if you really can't find a single thing (more forum-wise than in face-to-face situations) as a positive, then suggestions about reading material/forum participation/continue with writing are a good standby.

This poem was submitted six years ago. Maybe Jennifer can grace us with an update, show us if she's grown as a poet.

I rather liked this:

returning to the kiss
it's all
playing out
in the kiss
moaning
playing out in the kiss

well first of all, i wouldn't call that a critique, let alone a constructive critique. what i would call it, is an opinion that is fairly bland in and of itself; having said that, if i got a opinion like that on one of my pieces, it would certainly push me into looking at how things might be changed or, at the very least, if they really did need to be changed. it would have to depend on the source of the opinion, of course. the very fact the writer got a reply at all is, to be fair, something to be appreciated as it gives some insight as to how even one individual is receiving their writing.

a constructive critique offers a well-balanced view of a work, highlighting its strengths as well as its weaknesses and pointing out where/how improvements might be made, giving the writer that insight as to how their piece affects the reader so they know if something works in the way they'd intended it to. too many 'critters' offer only jaundiced, throw-away comments which are more about making themselves look smart/witty/jaded with those not at the same lofty cloud of literary achievement as themselves than about the piece of writing they should be addressing. a well-balanced crit can make all of the points that SJ's post did, but offer encouragement for the aspiring writer.
without disagreeing too much, mainly because I do agree with everything you have said.

"A bit LONG and boring" should force the writer to look for things to trim, the operative phrase is "a bit long". Boring by itself does not send a useful message.
True it would have been more helpful IF he would have said starting here....chop, chop, chop

I almost, but exercised a bit of rare restraint and didn't, left a comment in NPR where I would have said: This is the best argument for a Haiku, because mercifully it would have been over in 3 lines. But that type of writer unlike JM is best ignored, a one shot wad.

I liked your poem quite a bit, but I found it led me to a question...

If you were to try to convey the same thoughts but in a much shorter form, (say, 10-20 lines), how would you go about it- what would you take out, what would you add - in short, how would you crystallize it?

I think you have real talent, and would be curious to see what you came up with. If you ever do such a thing, repost! I'd love to see...

After all these years my heart still aches for this moment...still slides into that familiar, sensual place so easily. What I would do to relive these words with you again...

Back