Name the book/movie/CD/news source that would improve the rest of us.

When it comes to television, you:

• Watch lots and lots of it

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Only watch it because the kids have it on

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Don't own a TV set

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Own a TV set, but I'm waiting for a reason to turn it on

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Fiction: Headlong Hall by Thomas Love Peacock

Non-Fiction: Nansen: Farthest North

Music classical(on 78rpm): Toscanini conducting Rossini's Overture William Tell. He makes it sound fast, precise, building to a climax yet crystal clear. It seems breathlessly fast until you realise he actually takes longer than most performances.

Music not so classical: "Brush up your Shakespeare" from the film soundtrack of "Kiss Me Kate".

Movie/Contemporary: Japanese trucker/noodle western Tampopo

Movie/back in the day: Leni Reifenstal's Triumph of the Will about the Nazi Party rally at Nuremburg. Even subtitled in a grainy print it is difficult to resist the appeal of the message. Dangerous stuff!

News Source: The Darwin Awards.

Og

• Book/fiction- Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

• Book/non-fiction- Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right.

• Music CD/classical (yeah, I know, you have it on vinyl)- it might sound cliche', but I love Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. I hear something new everytime I listen to it.

• Music CD/not so classical (vinyl too)- Cowboy Mouth- All You Need Is Live. No redeeming social value, just a lot of fun.

• Movie/contemporary*- Life As A House. It's one of those movies that when I watched it I went, "Damn, I wish I had written that!" American Beauty comes in a close second.

• Movie/back in the day- The Long Riders. Great Western with famous acting brothers playing the real brothers of the James-Younger gang.

• And/or...the news source that would make us all better informed- Associated Press. One of the few credible news sources these days. Run screaming from Fox News.

Boota said:
• Book/non-fiction- Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right.

If you like Al Franken's non-fiction, read his Stuart Smally novel. Made me exhale mineral water through my nose during an otherwise unpleasant cross-country flight :D

• I love Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. I hear something new everytime I listen to it.

Boot, that's called a flashback.

Run screaming from Fox

I'd like to, but my cable network doesn't carry Comedy Central.

I'll definitely have to read the Stuart Smalley novel. I've read the rest of his books and I loved them all.

Flashbacks, huh? That might explain it. LOL. I'm just really interested and active in recording. I have always been fascinated with how they used to get these great sounds using equipment that is vastly inferior to the average home studio these days. The Beatles made magic on 4 tracks.

Too bad you don't get Comedy Central. The Daily Show is actually one of the more credible news sources, in as much as you know they are joking. :)

Boota said:
The Beatles made magic on 4 tracks.

The astonishing thing is that nobody thought to make amplifiers that went up to 11 until Spinal Tap.

Too bad you don't get Comedy Central. The Daily Show is actually one of the more credible news sources, in as much as you know they are joking.

I used to love watching the State of the Union address with on Comedy Central. Do they still do that every year? I got the satisfaction of having done my civic duty, and the pleasure of a few intentional laughs.

Back