Narrative in Present Tense

I like second person point of view, but it is really hard to pull off for both the reader and the writer.

That is because it is so specific. Because the writer is writing specifically to the reader... "you rolled under the pressure of my hand" for instance... when the writer get the details right, and the reader is enraptured and caught up in the moment because they can envision whatever is being described as being done to them directly. That is immensely powerful.

But the opposite is also true. "I find that spot just above the small of your back that makes you almost instantly hitch your breath with want" as an example; would be powerful, but ONLY IF you had a particular erogenous zone on the small of your back. If the reader doesn't have that, then the reader withdraws from the story completely thinking, 'That is not me', with a huff and a snarl. That ruins the magic of second person point of view.

But even in those two points, second person point of view is even tougher to write than just that. If the writer does their story with only generalities and little detail and becomes a downright cheesy sounding story. But add details that the reader does not have, and they disengage from the story. But while rare... if the details of a second person point of story lines up well with the reader, then it is an immensely powerful story that first and third person point of view cannot even approach in terms of emotional impact.

But tough, tough, tough to pull off.

Your examples are first person POV, not second person POV, because the narration is from the point of view of "I." The fact that "you" is being addressed is irrelevant to the point of view. It's first person POV.

Second person would be:

You rolled under the pressure of her hand, and you delighted in the sensation.

I'd argue that those examples are actually just 1P POV, addressing a second person. They're not narrated from the second person's perspective.
Can you give us an example of 2nd person as you understand it? Or perhaps it doesn't exist?

A word of warning, though: it's in I/T, with possible overtones of non-consent. The tagline is "She's your mother. You really shouldn't."

Back