Now I know how George R.R. Martin must feel.

And now I've got the Sopranos theme in my head 😆
The odd thing is that the song already existed before the show was conceived, but it makes for a perfect opening. I never heard the full version before, which is somewhat longer. Did David Chase know about it I wonder?

Here's the truly funny part.

I posted this thread last night after weeks of frustration at not being able to write.

Then woke up this morning with the idea of how to continue.

And now I'm writing the story again. Slowly, but the words are finally coming.

Weird, huh?
Not weird at all. I enjoyed reading your question because I've had the same problem so many times that I've actually figured out why:
- your brain is just stuck on something that is wrong with the plot or the characters, and until you sort out what's nagging you, you just have to stop writing. After all, what's the point if you have to rewrite half your story just a few days later.

So, after writing about 80 books, I've realised that the best thing you can do is:
- take a break and do something that takes you away from the computer (dishwashing is the perfect solution, even though it might not work for everybody, lol)
- work on another story with a simple plotline
- basically, just give it a few days, and then suddenly you get this brilliant idea which makes you write 5k words in a day

That said, as a pantser, I often think that outlining a story takes the fun away from writing it. But if the plot is complicated you really have no other alternative.

Back