Oh, Canada....

CharleyH said:
Hmmmm :mad: Warhol is an artist! If you bow back, then I will show you the moves from his screens. :D :devil:

Whats the story on NAMASTE? Hm cool, listening to Jann Ardens 'best song' on Live 8.

WHAT? Well you have challenged yourself in form, and you got the sestina (SP)down, which is more than most of us! :)

Namaste is Sanskrit. It means "my soul greets your soul." I've heard it in Yoga stuff and the monkey and I always say it to each other. :)

Yes Warhol certainly is an artist as are Diana Arbus and Lester Young, for example. Duke Ellington and Thelonius Monk were brilliant composers--I wonder how many people understand they are like Gustav Mahler or Aaron Copeland or Mozart for that matter. I never try to define anyone else's art--to get back to your original question. It's too personal--who am I to define something as having less value for it's cultural popularity? Ok, Kenny G sucks--I'm willing to say that. :D

Discipline in art is another thing though. I love to write form poems--some people find the requirements restricting, but if you get used to the form you can improvise within it and it becomes a very creative process, imo. I had a mentor who told me to practice the forms because they help you become a better writer overall. I agree with that.

I didn't watch any Live 8. I went out and got herbs and veggies for a garden and listened to Talking Heads and Bob Marley and now Bill Evans instead. The hell with Sir Bob--I wanted art rock and reggae and jazz. :p

Angeline said:
Namaste is Sanskrit. It means "my soul greets your soul." I've heard it in Yoga stuff and the monkey and I always say it to each other. :)

Ya Tathagata is a good monkey. The pet ;)

You bring up what I did on another thread about music ... Are Duke, Thelonious? - Poets? I get Thelonious and his skipped beats as an artist :) but words? Do you define your own art? WHY or not? I dont't ask of Kenny G who sucks LOL. I ask of you, and any poet here. What do you define as poetry? How do you define yourself as a poet? AND how do you distinguish yourself from a lyracist?

You did an open mike. So what is different about paper vs. that experience?

I agree on practicing form. How do you change form? Assert yourself as a poet? :)

CharleyH said:
Ya Tathagata is a good monkey. The pet ;)

You bring up what I did on another thread about music ... Are Duke, Thelonious? - Poets? I get Thelonious and his skipped beats as an artist :) but words? Do you define your own art? WHY or not? I dont't ask of Kenny G who sucks LOL. I ask of you, and any poet here. What do you define as poetry? How do you define yourself as a poet? AND how do you distinguish yourself from a lyracist?

You did an open mike. So what is different about paper vs. that experience?

I agree on practicing form. How do you change form? Assert yourself as a poet? :)
It is one thing to write words for music. If someone has a melody, you can almost write anything, as long as it fits inside the boundaries of rhythm and breathing. To write music for words is something totally different. Mood and theme are already established by the poet. The composer needs to interpret the poet's meaning before setting notes to syllables.

Poetic devices are to poetry as paints are to paintings. An artist who uses oils as his medium tells a story in his vision of a moment. A writer will tell a story in detail with a beginning, middle and end. A poet is a succinct storyteller, unless there's an epic brewing in his mind, and using things like metaphor and meter and yes, even rhyme, can tell the story of a moment in very few words.

As far as being a lyricist v. a poet. I have written lyrics and poetry. There's no distinction, I don't think, except one you can create for music and sometimes, the other, is created because of music. You decide which.

I love working in form. It is a challenge to write a good poem when you have rules to follow. Many people, when writing free verse, will pare their work down, obliterating unneccessary words and tossing them away like an American rids his vocabulary of superfluous 'u's. In form, sometimes, you need to add a word or change it so that the meter and scheme stay within the rigidity of the rules, to stay in the proper tense and to remain coherent, without misplaced repetition, can be an exceptional feat.

I sometimes change a form to include internal rhyme, extra line breaks or even change the metric count to suit myself. I have even changed the subject or thematic norm of a form piece to reflect what I, personally wanted to write about, maybe this mutated the poem into some other form, or maybe I've invented my own. It doesn't matter, really, as long as the end result looks and sounds and means exactly what you, as the poet, intend.

Back