Oh, the horrors!

WickedEve said:
I won't throw away my old stuff. I have things much worse than come to bed, and even though it's not good poetry, it's a memory that's written down and should be kept. I hope you didn't get rid of anything of value.

well, I saved all the Donald Duck stories I started writing when I was in the third grade, and a bout a half dozen poems I thought sort of defined me when I was a "tween" and one, I have been reworking, its called the last 5 minutes in the life of an old woman, my kids said I should keep that one..Im gonna post it when it feels right.

I basically stopped writing when I was 17, right around the time I met my husband, I wonder if that is a coincidence? :rolleyes:

and I didnt really think about it again till someone told me about LIt and then I posted some really nasssty stories :D Ive been here since Valentines Day 2002, valentines day!! isnt that sad;)

hehe and still dont even have 1000 posts :devil:

Maria2394 said:
well, I saved all the Donald Duck stories I started writing when I was in the third grade, and a bout a half dozen poems I thought sort of defined me when I was a "tween" and one, I have been reworking, its called the last 5 minutes in the life of an old woman, my kids said I should keep that one..Im gonna post it when it feels right.

I basically stopped writing when I was 17, right around the time I met my husband, I wonder if that is a coincidence? :rolleyes:

and I didnt really think about it again till someone told me about LIt and then I posted some really nasssty stories :D Ive been here since Valentines Day 2002, valentines day!! isnt that sad;)

hehe and still dont even have 1000 posts :devil:
Damn, you're right. You don't post much, yet it seems like you just jabber on and on... :D
Well, I'm saving all my poems. Originally, I started this thread with a question about what to do with my older poems. Some of them have good content. No, I won't submit most of them to lit, but now I'm tempted to post some of them on this thread. I received an email from a reader who found something of value in those words I once wrote. This person understood what I was saying, and I have a feeling he/she doesn't really get me most of the time. lol I had a feeling that those words would make a connection with some readers. I still wish they didn't rhyme, though. :)

Damn.....You guys need to get over the rhyming thang.....:D

I like rhymes......I just don't like sonnets....:p

to those readers who want to just understand

Most of my early poems on lit came from a very sad, frustrated housewife who had something to say but didn't know how to say it without cute rhyme. What a shame.
There are other poems from this same time period that are better. It seems that I was not very good at expressing pain in a poetic way. :) The rhyme is simply atrocious and lightens what should be a somber tone.
I do realize that these poems sound so much like some of the novice poetry that appears daily on lit. I was fortunate enough to have grown in my writing. There is hope for us all. ;)

Cookie Monster

"Momma, who ya talkin' to?"
It's hard to be true.
"Cookie monster,"
is what I tell her.

I go outside,
try to hide.
Need some space,
can't find a trace.

look behind me,
there she'll be.
I hand her the phone,
so I can have time alone.

My lover says hello
in his monster bellow.
Then I send her to her dad,
so mommy can be bad.

Back in the house,
quiet as a mouse.
My family I see.
Try not to look guilty.

"Who's the man in the phone?"
Is my secret known?
Husband glances our way.
What can I say?

"Cookie monster is his name."
I tell him it's our game.
Then I go off to think--
wish my marriage didn't stink.

----------

No Fool

At the door, newborn in arms,
toddler behind my leg.
Husband protects us from harms.

Weak on my feet,
deal with the stranger.
I don't retreat.

"I'm here to turn off the gas,
but since you've got a baby...
I'll leave it and not be an ass."

"I'm sorry, you're wrong.
He paid the bill,
told me that all along."

"It's not been paid."
I'm surprised, not angry...
didn't know he'd gotten laid.

I call his work.
He's not been around.
Doubts begin to lurk.

"I'm sorry, you're wrong.
He called me from there.
It hasn't been long."

"He hasn't been here today.
We don't know where he is.
He must have called from far away."

Check receipts, bank statements too.
Bills for roses and rooms.
How could I not have a clue?

He comes home, acts cool.
Finds things have changed.
Never again will I be his fool.

----------

My husband

Tells me lies
Makes me despise
Spends our money
Says, it's okay honey

Calls me a slut
Keep your mouth shut!
Calls me trash
Even when I give him my cash

Tells me I'm insane
Says I'm a pain
Pain...
I feel ME start to wane

Confused, tired, feeling stuck
Seeking love and a good fuck
Woman still full of desire
He couldn't put out my fire

The_Fool said:
Damn.....You guys need to get over the rhyming thang.....:D

I like rhymes......I just don't like sonnets....:p
You will not like rhyme after you read my rhymes. :eek: Until I found these old poems and read them again, I didn't realize how god awful, how unspeakably dreadful my poetry was! But hey, if you get something out of it and you can relate to the content and overlook the evils of its rhyme, well then... oh, I lost my train of thought. Come back, choo choo!

By the way, these poems were once on lit. Some of them even reviewed on this forum back in 2001, maybe early 2002. I remember delicate suggestions about not rhyming. I recall that I responded with "I'll stop rhyming when I'm ready. I'm not ready yet." Free verse was a traumatic experience for me. And at the time, I thought my poetry sounded good. I must remember that and not forget when I comment on new poems by new poets. Oh! I know. It's like those 3D stereograms that I love. New poets don't yet know how to see real poetry. Poetry is still just some pretty colors and shapes. But give them time and it all comes into focus.

I just wiped out some long serious post. Needed to kick that soapbox out of the way.

All I can say is Eve, you rock.....:D

WickedEve said:
By the way, these poems were once on lit. Some of them even reviewed on this forum back in 2001, maybe early 2002. I remember delicate suggestions about not rhyming. I recall that I responded with "I'll stop rhyming when I'm ready. I'm not ready yet." Free verse was a traumatic experience for me. And at the time, I thought my poetry sounded good. I must remember that and not forget when I comment on new poems by new poets. Oh! I know. It's like those 3D stereograms that I love. New poets don't yet know how to see real poetry. Poetry is still just some pretty colors and shapes. But give them time and it all comes into focus.

Holy crap, I think I remember that exchange, was you, Killer Muffin and someone else I think...

less this is another delusion moment from yours truely :D

WickedEve said:
Hello, I'm kind of new here.
Speaking of Pretty Shapes. I nominate you for...

"New poets don't yet know how to see real poetry."
Could you please explain what you see, what perhaps, to look for?

...most helpful to new posters.

Back