Poems from Fractured_Soul (Feedback welcome)

A poem is written documentation of what you are feeling at any given moment.
I hope you mean this as a statement of what your personal preferences in poetry are and not a definition of what a poem is. It's pretty easy to disprove your statement unless you want to adopt a "private language" definition (i.e., something like "the word means what I want it to mean"). I mean, that kind of definition wipes out virtually everything that bookstores, libraries, poetry journals, and academic departments would think of as poetry. Pretty much makes the term meaningless.

It is notoriously hard to define what poetry is, but that statement is simply wrong, I think.
It is never wrong.
Now I agree with this, as referring to an individual poem. Poems are not "right" or "wrong." Nor is, for example, a painting or a musical composition. Art is not something that has One Proper Answer, like a calculus problem.

Poems are, though, "good" or "bad," though there is room for argument as to which poems are good and why and which are bad and why.
You can't change or "correct" a poem.
Perhaps not (see above re right/wrong and good/bad).

You can though, often, improve it. Change it to better express whatever the author was trying to express. This happens all the time.
A poem shouldn't be written to please other people, or even to please yourself...it simply just is what it is. Those are the best, and never need to be changed or validated.
Well, again, I would disagree with this statement for, I think, pretty obvious reasons.

Do you really believe this, or are you just being contentious? Do you read any poetry (i.e., by someone published--not just things here)? I'd be curious as to who, if you do.

By the way, is this the right reference, or am I missing something?

Interesting, I didn't actually ask a question, or expect a response.

I also respect your viewpoint, and ultimately, how the hell do I know if it was edited? I would rather see a hot mess of someone's raw feelings because it's real and very powerful.
But, if someone edits 17 times before they let me read it, I still enjoy it just the same and I will believe that it was inspired and raw.
The formatting is mine and used to clarify that this was the question I was responding to in my post. Have a jolly day...

My thread seems to have turned into more of a discussion on what a thread is rather than a reflection on my writings. Lately, I have been sick and in extreme physical pain and thus bereft of inspiration and motivation to currently pursue my poetry further. The few ideas I have had, have stalled after only a line or two. I thank you all for the tools for improvement, but I know not when I may post a new poem.

My thread seems to have turned into more of a discussion on what a thread is rather than a reflection on my writings. Lately, I have been sick and in extreme physical pain and thus bereft of inspiration and motivation to currently pursue my poetry further. The few ideas I have had, have stalled after only a line or two. I thank you all for the tools for improvement, but I know not when I may post a new poem.
Threads morph into discusssions, over time. That is their nature, unfortunately.

I am sorry you are ill and cannot participate in the dialogue that originated with your thread.

Be as well as you can be. God bless.

Back