Poetic Comments On The Greatest Painters

stirbird said:
I came across this thread whilst stalking The Poppy. This is a great idea! I can't participate, unfortunately (unless I sense I won't be stoned for posting criminally atrocious doggerel), but I will certainly enjoy it. :)

come in already stoned and you wont give a darn what people say :D

please don't stifle your creativity because someone was hateful, this world would really suck if everyone did just that.

I was told that I write "useless drivel", but that doesnt stop me, ;)

:rose:

poppy1963 said:
I have a feeling that is what SB is referring to...lol! She tends too steer clear of such atrocious doggerel! Heaven knows I wasn't aware of it happening when I first came in here...as I am trying to get on that "steer clear" path as well. However it does seem a safety zone so far and I was glad to see your additions!

:) :rose: :)

No, no! I mean I really DO post atrocious doggerel! (And guiltily enjoy it.) Remember "The Twenty-four-hour period that follows the current one and the twenty-four-hour period that follows the current one and the twenty-four-hour period that follows the current one..." butcher job? ;) I can do worse, Poppy--much worse. ;-p

I suppose I could provide an example if I had to. :/ But I need some time to find a truly magnificent image to destroy.

normal jean said:
come in already stoned and you wont give a darn what people say :D

please don't stifle your creativity because someone was hateful, this world would really suck if everyone did just that.

I was told that I write "useless drivel", but that doesnt stop me, ;)

Thank you for the encouragement. :) But actually, I am the one telling myself it's useless drivel--mainly because I intend it to be. I'm not a poet and haven't tried to write poems in decades--I just followed Poppy into this thread because she is an interesting writer and I like her.:)

All I do is occasionally write silly parodies of songs or quotes that catch my eye to make myself and others laugh. Maybe if I posted a sample it might help some of the other writers here because as much as they criticized their own works in their head, they could always truthfully say, "At least I'm not as bad as that Stirbird!" They would undoubtedly be right. ;)

Lauren Hynde said:
Once upon a time
the palm-tree meant
immortality
triumph
martyrdom.

Now
palm-trees rise
in Hockney's paintings
as slim
idle feather-dusters.

Now
the dust
turned into acid rain
kills the diligence
of the wavering palms.

The blue of swimming-pools
turned
into static kaleidoscope
into vitreous salt
where bodies shatter.

I love this one. I am unfamiliar with the paintings (or I don't remember them). I will have to look them up!

"At least I'm not as bad as that Stirbird!"

MOST peole here arent that hateful. I am glad i could encourage you though. The purpose of writing, no matter what youconsider your own work to be, is outlet. so as long as you enjoy doing it, it doesnt matter what it is, not really

NJ

Hello stribird, please continue.

stirbird said:
Thank you for the encouragement. :) But actually, I am the one telling myself it's useless drivel--mainly because I intend it to be. I'm not a poet and haven't tried to write poems in decades--I just followed Poppy into this thread because she is an interesting writer and I like her.:)

All I do is occasionally write silly parodies of songs or quotes that catch my eye to make myself and others laugh. Maybe if I posted a sample it might help some of the other writers here because as much as they criticized their own works in their head, they could always truthfully say, "At least I'm not as bad as that Stirbird!" They would undoubtedly be right. ;)

As I remember my start, mine was useless as well. But practice and patience is what you need, as I see you already have encouragement. As has been numerously spouted time and again, My work is considered by the majority as a kind of ego-maniacal pulp. But it really doesn't matter to me. I know what I do and I know I have practiced it diligently.

I would suggest that you start finding a common point at which you seem to build around and search in your heart and soul to see why that is working for you. And then see what you might do to help improve your own desire with, inventing how you might come into control or, skill with it. There is no one here who would deride your work. As it is..., you are interested, and it would be a pleasure to see that interest blossom into prose! If chaos is your pen, let it flow until it tires. Then try to envelope it as a lesson for your own desires. Passion's. Just give it some urges, nudges to increase your own magic on it. Change and expand on what is there. Say hello to a rampant friend.

MyGuitar.jpg

Mozart is to music
what Da Vinci is to engineering,
to invention,
to maths,
to science,
to sculpting,
to architecture,
to writing, and
to music.

Last edited:
Leonardo and Mona

stirbird said:
No, no! I mean I really DO post atrocious doggerel! (And guiltily enjoy it.)
I love atrocious doggerel! Here's some to prime the pump.

Leonardo da Vinci--
I know it's a cinch he
Did Mona that night in the park.
And that Mona Lisa,
That cutie, yeah, she's a
Lot hotter down there in the dark.

Oh dear me, shame....:D

FifthFlower said:
I love atrocious doggerel! Here's some to prime the pump.

Leonardo da Vinci--
I know it's a cinch he
Did Mona that night in the park.
And that Mona Lisa,
That cutie, yeah, she's a
Lot hotter down there in the dark.

Now that would be glorious except for one thing. :) Where is your Nom de Plume? and the date of creation? Come on, being fun in poetry has never been a sin! Almost all of the greats have penned some fun drivel for their readers delight. And I do love this one. :)) It adds som epleasant filigree to the works displayed here.

As it is, it was very hard to put this in the form that I chose. But it speaks deeply of what I feel for this giant in history! And as promised, my final composition of this work:

“At Regard, Leonardo”

As in the mind, and there upon a multi-dimensional thought.
And care not for the desires of miserable gatherings.
To seek but a reprise of momentary, argent dreams in vision.
It was a scalding toil and dark, hidden, yet winged prison.
He felt the age assault his amorous, manipulative delights.
Thus come the cascading, infusion of invention.
The precognitive understanding of sundering history.
His ambition to evade the carnivorous, corrupting debauchery.

He knew that his enchantments would be culled and clipped.
The magic of his would be spurned and snipped.
So he envisioned the machinations of a warrior ripped.
Just so he might cloak his heaven-sight to protected vaults.
To make his purpose then preserved in salt.

He knew of the previous art and artisans.
And he saw that they had wasted and lost so much.
But he sold his gift in caused portions incremental.
So many gifts, frittered and spent ‘nary all.
The art he loved, would not be lost as such.

The sly little Lisa may not have known, or yet may have.
Still “David” adonis was there to spy about time.
And although he suffered his last ill,
Leonardo has provided this sup, for our fill.

The Mystery Valiant
1-12-2007​

Femme a Tete De Roses - Dali

FemmeaTeteDeRoses-Dali.jpg

Dali's visions
Derisions...
Incisions in
The Murals of
Indecision.

Your point, Sal?
What is the point...
Sal? Oh...no point.
The joint knocks
Me out...anyhow.

You bring the style...
Although you rile
The mile in prophecy.
The feel so "officey"...
You still move the "wow"!

:)

Last edited:
Nice choice Poppy!

The only piece of work he has done that I have ever seen it the melted clocks one. Could you give me a little background on the pic you posted? I will head to the Library and check on his history. I haven't really been exposed that much to his work. Out here, in the West, they tend to look for more of the local talent. And the schools have been cutting back on the art's in favor of basic necessities. It seems that all the breakneck spending of the more stable funds of the past, are catching up with what they thought was important.

Now, with the Off-shoring going on, they have to make up for all the lost business taxes that they depended on before. If something doesn't change, Our prodgeny will have to discover the creative side of themselves, on their own.

But then I am intrigued with the pic you chose. Just a random pic..., or is there some special cause for it?

TMV said:
The only piece of work he has done that I have ever seen it the melted clocks one. Could you give me a little background on the pic you posted? I will head to the Library and check on his history. I haven't really been exposed that much to his work. Out here, in the West, they tend to look for more of the local talent. And the schools have been cutting back on the art's in favor of basic necessities. It seems that all the breakneck spending of the more stable funds of the past, are catching up with what they thought was important.

Now, with the Off-shoring going on, they have to make up for all the lost business taxes that they depended on before. If something doesn't change, Our prodgeny will have to discover the creative side of themselves, on their own.

But then I am intrigued with the pic you chose. Just a random pic..., or is there some special cause for it?

lol...I am always interested in looking at Sal's work. He feels kindred to me sometimes! I chose "the woman with the headful of roses" because it seems so appropos for Lit as I experience it these days...sexy, stylish, surreal, grotesque and always fascinating....and in my opinion, it also greatly misrepresents the realities behind the presentation of the "pictures painted here". :D It is an illustration of deception in all it's groaning glory.

Many of Dali's paintings continue to mesmerize me by the small but profound details that are clues to how he seemed to really see things...great humor...comedy gold!

Glad you like the choice...there are so many to choose from!

Scream - Edvard Munch

Conflict, confusion, turmoil
The culmination of existential angst.
Twisting, turning, churning
Overcome and exploding with dispair.
Shattering, gut-wretching emotion,
The peacefulness of the idyllic day is shattered.
Crimson, blazing, burning
Portents of doom spread across the sky.
Unexpected, shocking, unknowing,
The reactions of the two passersby.

(One of my most favorite pieces of art, I hope I did it justice. -- APWB)

Last edited:
Eluard said:
Well, if wildsweetone and poppy1963 are posting here then I know that I must too. Here is something I wrote a while ago, followed by the painting to which it refers.

The Angel of Death in De Chirico

The minotaur walks toward the moon holding a candle; he
Sometimes speaks of irises that cup a fragile sense of past

But reaches into those words to pull out the will by its stem;
A breath of frost rears up before him like a grey photograph

Of the country and before he steps into its path
Hears clearly the distant bells of a church and sees the spire.

The moon one day approaches like a hawk to his gloved hand
And waits an inch from the eye — a luminous ceiling,

So large that nothing may now be seen but its infinite
Surface. He struggles upside down to plant his feet there

And walks on the chalk light feeling his guts hanging in the brain.
Birds fly endlessly over the tesseral plain of this moon with

Blue and red wings and sometimes careen into the soft dust.
He approaches a village down a street that is now empty

And sees from nowhere a hoop, a girl and a parachute of light
Slowly descending into a spreading tree of shadow.

(Ha! How do you like that! — I'm not entitled to post images. Sorry you'll have to imagine it!)

Well thank you, Eluard! I am researching De Chirico...Giorgio? Looking looking always for "angels of deaths"...:)...both littles and bigs now...:rose:

Your poem is quite captivating as well...the words splashed on the canvas! I can't pretend to grasp the meanings of them for you...but quite delovely is the pictures painted in my mind...some so incongruous they both delight and challenge! I love...enigmas...as it seems De Chirico did as well from what I've read of him so far.

I so enjoy the surreal as it becomes more real and real to me each passing day.

Hee hee...it was fun writing this reply to you. :rose:

WynEternal said:
Scream - Edvard Munch

Conflict, confusion, turmoil
The culmination of existential angst.
Twisting, turning, churning
Overcome and exploding with dispair.
Shattering, gut-wretching emotion,
The peacefulness of the idyllic day is shattered.
Crimson, blazing, burning
Portents of doom spread across the sky.
Unexpected, shocking, unknowing,
The reactions oe the two passersby.

(One of my most favorite pieces of art, I hope I did it justice. -- APWB)

WynEternal....what an "unexpected, shocking, unknowing" reaction I felt when I viewed The Scream. Just a chilling thing Munsch imaged there...the eyes or the no eyes....*shudders*...

Thanks for the poet's eye in introducing this artist to me and others who may not be familiar with his works. You done it good justice...:eek:

poppy1963 said:
Well thank you, Eluard! I am researching De Chirico...Giorgio? Looking looking always for "angels of deaths"...:)...both littles and bigs now...:rose:

Your poem is quite captivating as well...the words splashed on the canvas! I can't pretend to grasp the meanings of them for you...but quite delovely is the pictures painted in my mind...some so incongruous they both delight and challenge! I love...enigmas...as it seems De Chirico did as well from what I've read of him so far.

I so enjoy the surreal as it becomes more real and real to me each passing day.

Hee hee...it was fun writing this reply to you. :rose:

Thanks Poppy — yes, the painter is Giorgio de Chirico and the painting is called Mystery and Melancholy of a Street — one of the seminal works of Surrealism. It's a bummer that I can't post it — but, oh well, that is the price for keeping out spam, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Two roses back to you: :rose: :rose:

Eluard said:
Thanks Poppy — yes, the painter is Giorgio de Chirico and the painting is called Mystery and Melancholy of a Street — one of the seminal works of Surrealism. It's a bummer that I can't post it — but, oh well, that is the price for keeping out spam, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Two roses back to you: :rose: :rose:

do you have to have 30 posts to be able to add an image? hmm it's so long ago that i can't remember.

in the meantime:

Melancholy & Mystery of a Street

Edit: Already posted by wildsweetone and my pic link was broken anyway...:(

:)

This was another picture of "Mystery and Melancholy".

Last edited:
Lauren Hynde said:
Once upon a time
the palm-tree meant
immortality
triumph
martyrdom.

Now
palm-trees rise
in Hockney's paintings
as slim
idle feather-dusters.

Now
the dust
turned into acid rain
kills the diligence
of the wavering palms.

The blue of swimming-pools
turned
into static kaleidoscope
into vitreous salt
where bodies shatter.

Really like this poem, and particularly love the last line. I like the addition of 'idle' to 'feather dusters' and 'diligence' to the 'wavering palms'. It all suggests work not being done, of people indulging in a fatal leisure, of them breaking apart as they dive in, the water having more resilience and density than they. Great stuff! Maybe better as a poem than Hockney's works are as paintings.

Last edited:
wildsweetone said:
do you have to have 30 posts to be able to add an image? hmm it's so long ago that i can't remember.

in the meantime:

Melancholy & Mystery of a Street

Thanks WSO! Liked your Constable poem too, and I think you've captured him well. (Wasn't entirely convinced on the line breaks in the first two lines, but after that it flows!)

I am in awe...........

The over all flow of the poem's here have taken a marked turn for impressive! I hope that others agree with me that two new poet's have entered expertly! Eluard..., I can taste a hint and a gander at what you're poem says. And then teases me to think even more! I love it! Existential and whispering..., nice touch!

Wyneternal, the name alone is fascinating! But what an intense view and wordsmithing of "The Scream". You make it so forceful and yet..., sincere, ideallic. I so welcome you to this thread, with strong emphasis on "welcome".

I really can't have imagined such an August group of poet's in my wildest dream's! Dear sweet heaven, Poppy, Wildsweetone and where is the eminent "Victoria"? And Stirbird, plus Fifthflower..., come on and join in! It is nice to have joy amongst the thoughtful..., makes them all the more thoughtful! (Even though I'm convinced that you two are hedging a little bit. I think you can do more than you let on!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eluard said:
Thanks WSO! Liked your Constable poem too, and I think you've captured him well. (Wasn't entirely convinced on the line breaks in the first two lines, but after that it flows!)

i didn't spend much time on it before posting it. i've just run a quick edit through, it might read a little better now. i have a 'thing' about line breaks and every now and again i try and revert back to doing something incorrect. eventually i'll get it to sink in.

thanks though :)

Thanks for the appreciative remarks, TMV!

wildsweetone said:
i didn't spend much time on it before posting it. i've just run a quick edit through, it might read a little better now. i have a 'thing' about line breaks and every now and again i try and revert back to doing something incorrect. eventually i'll get it to sink in.

thanks though :)

Just went and had a look at the edit: yes, I think that works much better, the line breaks correspond to the natural pauses now.

I also am sometimes stubborn about line breaks, and have to beat myself up to put them in the natural place.

:rose: for the freezing antipodeans!

Eluard said:
Thanks for the appreciative remarks, TMV!

Just went and had a look at the edit: yes, I think that works much better, the line breaks correspond to the natural pauses now.

I also am sometimes stubborn about line breaks, and have to beat myself up to put them in the natural place.

:rose: for the freezing antipodeans!

:rose: thank you for your critique and the rose :)

it is winter solstice soon and yet it doesn't feel like winter has hit here. now, if we're talking the South Island, that's a different story. they've had fires going down there since the beginning of April. i was down there in May and it was chilllllllyyyyy, but nothing like that up here, yet.

i might choose another painter to write about over the weekend, if i can tear myself away from Constable that is. ;)

have a good weekend, neighbour. :)

Back