poetry

wildsweetone said:
nice stopping point Art, thanks. :)

Mistress Jett, my advice is to take notice of constructive feedback and ignore votes (there is an ability to turn them off).

Angeline, i don't think any of your poems that i've seen are fraudulent crap. :D

i think sometimes when i have doubts it is because i've either written something that surprises me - i.e. it shows another layer or different meaning to my initial expectation. that's when i sometimes find myself wondering if what i've written is a poem.

:rose:

Well, maybe "fraudulent crap" is the wrong way to put it, lol, but I know when I'm not writing as well as I could, when I'm falling back on the same themes if you know what I mean. There are some things I can do, like sonnets for example, where I can fool some people into thinking it's good--and it might be pretty good--but I know with more effort I can do better. There are a lot of poems here and at Eve's forum that I wrote spontaneously, and I know if I go back and work on them, I can polish them up. I have way too many poems that could use a good edit. :cool:

The_Fool said:
There is no poetry....

There is no Fool.... :D

well, it takes all sorts to help the world spin 'round.

Hello Mr Nobody! :rose: hope all is well in your niche of the world. :)

The Poets said:
I think of you as a poet.

all in favor....

Aye!

or is it I?

or Eye?

damn.

the eyes have it

and is it speak now or forever hold your peace, like forever shush it don't cause a stir! quiet!

OR

speak now or forever hold your piece, like forever hold that piece of yappin you were gonna do? piece=part?

or piece-- like cod piece? hair piece?
or forever hold your peas?

wildsweetone said:
pretty stupid title i realise now but nevermind, it's apt.

are there times when you've written a poem that you think is pretty neat, when you turn around and have doubts whether it's even a poem?

when you have those doubts, what do you do? do you share it with someone in the hopes they'll tell you 'yes, it's a poem' or 'no it's carpet underlay'?

what do you do?

All the time. I bite my nails, run around like the sky is on fire and wail.
I often have doubts about whether I can just pick up a pencil and write anything. I just have to gather myself and write, even its the most mundane, crappiest thing.
One of the best things I decided to do (as recommended to me by TRM) was turn off the voting. When I first came to Lit (in a previous incarnation) I would post anything, no matter how bad it was. The votes mattered, even if I had doubts, the votes would make it all right. Which didn't help my writing at all.

Back