Read a good book lately?

I just got a package from Amazon with:

• Cocaine Nights, by J.G. Ballard
  • Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
  • The History Man, by Malcolm Bradbury
  • The Crow Road, by Iain Banks
  • Whit, by Iain Banks
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in five parts), by Douglas Adams

I'm still trying to decide where to start, though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Take dis!

BlackSnake said:
Then you did asume too much.

Dear BS,
Then read it. It really isn't too difficult.
MG

Dear LH,
I'd start with the Addams. Be sure to read them in order.
MG

The_Fool said:
From a historical perspective, you might try the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Assuming you haven't read them already....

After I finished reading O'Brian through the first time, I went back to Hornblower, which I had read a long time ago.

No offense, but Forester came off reading like a comic book. There just wasn't the depth and intelligence of O'Brian.

Now these aren't the kind of books you use to shield your eyes at the beach. O'Brian has the most extensive vocabulary of any author I can think of, and he doesn't give the reader a break. He never really stops to explain the difference between, say, the clew-garnets and futtock shrouds on a frigate, not to mention the difference between a xebec and a polacre-settee, but it's a testimony to his skill as an author that you really don't have to know all these terms to understand what's going on and get swept up in it. (It's also a testimony to his skill that I actually did the research to find out what those things were. In fact, I'm even signed up to take sailing lessons. I do tend to get into things.)

BTW, Russell Crowe is making a movie of one of the O'Brian books, "The Hundred Days". He's not only starring, he's doing a lot of the bankrolling and producing: a labor of love.

Me and Russell Crow: two peas in a pod.

---dr.M.

Last edited:
FYI, A&E has a series now out on DVD on Hornblower. Excellent production, script and cast; worth watching whether you know the books or not (I do because my first mate was Engl. and made me read 'em).

And for the femmes, Horatio is played by the most gorgeous Celt you'll see in a long long time. I think the name is spelled, at least something like, Ioan Gryffith (Welsh).

H.H.

How could anyone be H.Hornblower but Gregory "Ahab" Peck? That's like Long John Silver being played by someone other than Robert Newton. Unthinkable!
Arrrr, mateys,
MG
Ps. "Mister Starbuck!!!"

Last edited:
Re: H.H.

MathGirl said:
How could anyone be H.Hornblower but Gregory "Ahab" Peck?
MG: Peck was no more HH than he was Ahab or King David. I'm sorry but he was not an actor at the same level as Grant or Tracy. No matter what he played he couldn't disguise himself.

I do believe the young Welshman is too young for you anyway.

Perdita

I've just finsihed reading On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
I really quite enjoy his books

Lauren.Hynde said:
I just got a package from Amazon with:

• Cocaine Nights, by J.G. Ballard
  • Choke, by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
  • The History Man, by Malcolm Bradbury
  • The Crow Road, by Iain Banks
  • Whit, by Iain Banks
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in five parts), by Douglas Adams

I'm still trying to decide where to start, though.

Ooh, you lucky thing! What a parcel to receive. All good books, though I particularly recommend cat's cradle and HHGG. How can you not have read HHGG? Everyone, if you've not read it, leave what you are doing immediately and do so. Terry Pratchett is a poor imitator. In fact read everything Doug and Kurt wrote.

There will be a short quiz next period.

Class dismissed.:D

MathGirl said:
How could anyone be H.Hornblower but Gregory "Ahab" Peck? That's like Long John Silver being played by someone other than Robert Newton. Unthinkable!
Arrrr, mateys,
MG
Ps. "Mister Starbuck!!!"

Did someone call? No? Oh. Forget I said anything then.
[/facetious post to get to AV status]

MathGirl said:
Arrrr, mateys,
MG
Ps. "Mister Starbuck!!!"

As I understand it, the Hornblower played by Peck was at least, already a Captain, possibly of higher rank. (My forgettery is in full force.)

The Hornblower played by Ioan Gryffith (I'm taking your word for the spelling, Perdita.) was a green Ensign, who eventually worked his way up to a Lieutenancy.

Obviously, I enjoyed both performances. Gryffith as how he began as a boy, Peck as the man he became.

Good point, Quas. I'm still partial to the boy Horn*.
Perdita

* I mean what a name for an English seaman!

Re: Re: H.H.

Quasimodem said:
a green Ensign, who eventually worked his way up to a Lieutenancy..
I think that in the books, HH went from midshipman to admiral.
MG

perdita said:
MG is correct.

Well ......... of course she are.
MG
Ps. I think the HH books are about the right speed for high school boys. They really ain't great literature.

MathGirl said:
I think the HH books are about the right speed for high school boys. They really ain't great literature.
Right again, MG.

cahab said:
Ooh, you lucky thing! What a parcel to receive. All good books, though I particularly recommend cat's cradle and HHGG. How can you not have read HHGG? Everyone, if you've not read it, leave what you are doing immediately and do so. Terry Pratchett is a poor imitator. In fact read everything Doug and Kurt wrote.

There will be a short quiz next period.

Class dismissed.:D
I was trying to decide between those two, actually. Although I'd include Ballard in my top 3 favourite authors anytime. Thanks :D

I didn't know that my compatriot Ioan Gruffydd was so popular. Interesting fact - when I was a high school teacher a few years ago, his father was the headmaster in charge of the school...

Back