Reading Books For Pleasure

Yes and sometimes you just have to push through a hard part.
I’m currently reading The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
I started a couple of months ago and had a really hard time with the first part that is set during the Cultural Revolution. I decided to give it one more shot and powered through and now I really like it.
I thought the Three-Body Problem was excellent!

Desert Solitaire
By Edward Abbey
An old favorite , revisited.
and
Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
Notes From a Northwest Year
By Lyanda Lynn Haupt
Food for my nerdy self. :)

Desert Solitaire
By Edward Abbey
An old favorite , revisited.
and
Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
Notes From a Northwest Year
By Lyanda Lynn Haupt
Food for my nerdy self. :)
Do you often revisit old book friends? I’m a little hesitant these days, because sometimes I haven’t enjoyed them as much the second or third or fourth time I’ve read them.

The bird book sounds lovely! I’m currently visiting my parents and I went to check out a few bird watching spots with dad yesterday. It was fun. No rare sightings, but, among other things, we got to see some fluffy goldeneye babies trying to swim upstream. Cute and inspiring.

Do you often revisit old book friends? I’m a little hesitant these days, because sometimes I haven’t enjoyed them as much the second or third or fourth time I’ve read them.

I do, from time to time, and it's always a different experience. I'm not the same reader I was ten or twenty years ago. And too, some books just don't age very well. So, it's a mixed bag. Same goes for movies.

I do, from time to time, and it's always a different experience. I'm not the same reader I was ten or twenty years ago. And too, some books just don't age very well. So, it's a mixed bag. Same goes for movies.
Yeah, sometimes it’s great to reread a book because you notice so many things that you didn’t the first time around. Sometimes you fall in love with new characters too, because when you’re older different things jump out. So yes, very much a mixed bag in my experience, too. Lovely, but sometimes risky. ☺️

Yeah, sometimes it’s great to reread a book because you notice so many things that you didn’t the first time around. Sometimes you fall in love with new characters too, because when you’re older different things jump out. So yes, very much a mixed bag in my experience, too. Lovely, but sometimes risky. ☺️
I've just came across this lovely thread. I often reread books I've enjoyed, at he moment I'm rereading 'The year of the French' by Thomas Flanagan, loved it the first time around but for some reason I'm finding it heavy going this time, we'll keep going :)

I've just came across this lovely thread. I often reread books I've enjoyed, at he moment I'm rereading 'The year of the French' by Thomas Flanagan, loved it the first time around but for some reason I'm finding it heavy going this time, we'll keep going :)
Welcome!

One thing I’ve noticed more than once, is that when I’m on a train or a plane and read a book that I really like but don’t finish it in one sitting, because I reach the destination, when I next pick it up in a non-moving setting, somehow I don’t find the book as good anymore. I wonder about that. Is it because I have lower standard for books that I read in a situation where there’s little else to do than read? Or is there simply something about being on the move that changes my perspective? 😁

Welcome!

One thing I’ve noticed more than once, is that when I’m on a train or a plane and read a book that I really like but don’t finish it in one sitting, because I reach the destination, when I next pick it up in a non-moving setting, somehow I don’t find the book as good anymore. I wonder about that. Is it because I have lower standard for books that I read in a situation where there’s little else to do than read? Or is there simply something about being on the move that changes my perspective? 😁
A long time ago I went on a skiing tip with my parents and brother.
I took a few days off from skiing to visit my aunt and uncle. The last night I was there I went out with my ex to his friends bar and we stayed until way after hours and had lots of fun and whiskey. The ex brought me home to my aunts and we had one of those sliding door moments, staring at each other for way to long, contemplating the could have been vs what came to be, before we said good bye and I crawled up the stairs to sleep for two hours.
The next morning I took the train back to the skiing parts of the country where we were invited to a friend of the family, so not the straight to bed situation my body and soul craved.
I spent the train ride drifting in and out of sleep and in and out if Perter Høegs Tales of the night.

That book will forever bring back that train ride and that night and day between the lives, it seems.
It’s still as good but very much ”pinned” in that time and experience.

A long time ago I went on a skiing tip with my parents and brother.
I took a few days off from skiing to visit my aunt and uncle. The last night I was there I went out with my ex to his friends bar and we stayed until way after hours and had lots of fun and whiskey. The ex brought me home to my aunts and we had one of those sliding door moments, staring at each other for way to long, contemplating the could have been vs what came to be, before we said good bye and I crawled up the stairs to sleep for two hours.
The next morning I took the train back to the skiing parts of the country where we were invited to a friend of the family, so not the straight to bed situation my body and soul craved.
I spent the train ride drifting in and out of sleep and in and out if Perter Høegs Tales of the night.

That book will forever bring back that train ride and that night and day between the lives, it seems.
It’s still as good but very much ”pinned” in that time and experience.
That’s a great story! I have some similar memories, where a certain book and movie is eternally tied to some specific location or event. Like with Jostein Gaarder’s The Solitaire Mystery, I’m always and forever 12 years old, in the backseat of my family’s car, wearing round sunglasses that are a little too big to me, completely engrossed in the story.

I might have to read it again, it’s been so many years. Decades.

Horror or mystery.small town based plzz
That’s not really my go-to genre, so I can’t give too many recommendations, but maybe there are other people here who will chime in.

I read The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St James. It might be something you enjoy. It’s a story that takes place in a small town. A true crime aficionado investigates a local case from the 70s and gets an interview from a key figure. Things get interesting.

Old school Stephen King, Mirrorland by Carole Johnstone, Lone women by Victor Lavalle.
Daphne de Maurier and for very cottagey, easy reading: Clara Benson and Blythe Baker.
Oh, and not strictly small town, but it has some of the same feeling as those old Stephen King books where the normal, safe feeling world is stripped away: The Silence by Don DeLillo.

That’s a great story! I have some similar memories, where a certain book and movie is eternally tied to some specific location or event. Like with Jostein Gaarder’s The Solitaire Mystery, I’m always and forever 12 years old, in the backseat of my family’s car, wearing round sunglasses that are a little too big to me, completely engrossed in the story.

I might have to read it again, it’s been so many years. Decades.
Yes, I have that feeling around several books I read as a kid.
I only read Sofie’s world by Gaarder though.

That’s not really my go-to genre, so I can’t give too many recommendations, but maybe there are other people here who will chime in.

I read The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St James. It might be something you enjoy. It’s a story that takes place in a small town. A true crime aficionado investigates a local case from the 70s and gets an interview from a key figure. Things get interesting.
I read the sundown motel , since then I'm the author's fan.

BOOKBUB

Does everyone know about BokBub? It's a reader's service and it's free. Every day I get an email with about a dozen deeply discounted titles (free-$2.99).

I've used it for years; I've saved money, and discovered great books that I would never have known about otherwise. Check it out!

https://www.bookbub.com/

BOOKBUB

Does everyone know about BokBub? It's a reader's service and it's free. Every day I get an email with about a dozen deeply discounted titles (free-$2.99).

I've used it for years; I've saved money, and discovered great books that I would never have known about otherwise. Check it out!

https://www.bookbub.com/
I know. I know almost every book related apps available in the world right now lol

Yes, I have that feeling around several books I read as a kid.
I only read Sofie’s world by Gaarder though.
I found Gaarder through Sophie’s World as well. My cousin got it for Christmas and hated it, her mom asked if I’d like to have it. I was a bit young for the book, perhaps, but absolutely loved it.

I even made my own notes about the philosophy parts as I read it. 😁

Later on, much later on, I had a Dom who had me read a lot of philosophy so that I would be able to talk about those topics with him. I really loved that as well.

Back