Romance Novels

I think that the influence romance novels have on me is more about the inspiration a story gives me, rather than any particular way a writer describes a love scene, his/her characters, etc. But I do get influenced by some really bad writers how NOT to write a story!:)

I've read romance novels practically all my life, at least since I was a teenager, although then I'd sort of started on tame Gothics.

I share the general loathing of Barbara Cartland that seems to prevail here. I understand that the woman did a great deal of good in her personal life, but her novels were such tripe, once I sent a contribution to my local library with the stipulation that none of it should be spent on Barbara Cartland novels.

I do not see how a discussion of romance novels can have failed to mention Diana Gabaldon and Jennifer Crusie!

Actually, Barbara Cartland was a very shrewed woman - not many authors can sell the same story over 800 times! All she did was to change the names and the places, but other than that, her 800+ books were IDENTICAL.

And the publishers ddn't complain as long as they made millions...:rolleyes:

I've read romance ever since I was 14. I (am trying to) write it now. Romance did used to have a lot of bodice ripping, but it's quite different these days. It's more about two people finding love despite many obstacles.

And those of you who say it's always the same story, think about this. Mysteries are always basically the same too. Fantasy books are almost always about good and evil. Every genre has its own set of criteria (or is it criterion?); that's why they're genres.

There are a lot of romance authors who sell the same story over and over. I think Amanda Quick, Danielle Steele, and Christine Feehan do. There are many readers who love this. Otherwise why would these authors sell book after book? Personally, once I can accurately predict what the characters will do and say, I stop reading that author.

To get onto the original question, I'm influenced, not by romance, but by the writers of it. Sometimes I read a book and feel suffused with the satisfaction that can only come after a terrific read. The writers of those books both motivate and discourage me. I SO want to do what they do, as well as they do. I SO think I'll never be able to.

Some of my favorite authors are: Suzanne Brockmann, Jennifer Cruisie, Christina Dodd, Eloisa James, Laura Kinsale (Flowers from the Storm is a MUST READ), Theresa Medeiros, Nora Roberts, Jo Beverley, Dara Joy, and Julia Quinn.

Jude Deveraux made me cry TWICE when I read Knight in Shining Armor. Bitch!

I used to love Kristin Hannah, but she got a little too Chicken Soup-ish for me.

Romance novels are not trash. I started reading them from an early age also. I got most from an older cousin, but my mom disapproved when she found my books and threw them out. I'm out of the house, so now I'm enjoying them yet again, (happily I might add).

I am not only a romantic, but a sappy romantic at that, so the novels do influence me to a large extent, not for the love making but the build-up to the big event (or events if its really trashy) :D

Headstrong men who encounter equally strong women are very appealing, but vunerability draws me more into their world than anything else.

P.S. Johanna Lindsay is my fav. btw.

I started reading "romance" novels in my late teens as a way to pass my lunch hour. I became hooked.

As others have referenced the "buildup." Its the tension, anxiety, hopefulness, desire, etc. that I satisfy my appeal in romance. I remember my ex laughing at my so-called "smut novels." Has it influenced my writing, very much so.

Flowery wording, extensive description of time and place, all set the mood for the "encounter."

Roberta Gellis's series years ago were my favs.

Trina T.

Romances

If only the covers on the paperbacks weren't so trashy. It's a bit embarrassing to take them to the checkout counter. Everyone in line can see what you're buying.

That's just to scare teenage girls from buying them.

It never scared mine. 'Course, mine not only bought tons of romance novels, she also insisted on getting the Beauty trilogy, which I had to buy for her because the clerks at Dalton's wouldn't sell it to her.

At the recommendation of another erotic publishing site, I read the "Beauty" series. Very detailed and very intense. My husband didn't enjoy them, but you might consider reading them yourself.

Trina T.:kiss:

Back