Same Challenge # 5

Flaunting the Font

Lauren.Hynde said:
Rybka? What code do you use to get different font sizes?

Where? Here you use the "SIZE" button. On a Lit. poem post I write in Word, using its commands. Then I save it as HTML and post the code.
The HTML code reads something like this:
<FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE=(1 to 4)> TEXT </FONT>
Regards,                       Rybka

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Nonpoetry

Mythos50 said:
Debits and chips
Ones foreclosing
The other for dips -
Debits and chips

Or should it be:

Debits and chips
one foreclosing
on other for dips
Debits and chips

Third edit to say I think I am on your side of the ledger as well, Cordelia;)

And just which side of the ledger do you think I am on?

;)

I wrote poetry to see not only both sides of the ledger, but to find out what's written on the back of the financials.

Credited, Debited, and Footed,

Cordelia

WHY ME?

some one could have told me all the poems were supposed to be named copacetic persuasion, but i was not persuaded...........

You all did get me to post another poem here again, which I swore off of.......

Se La Vi

I being the very Inteligent gent that i am titled my poem for everything else theres Mastercard

_Land

Oooops

Sorry _Land I thought you knew! I'll add it to the above list since it rightfully belongs there!:eek:

Re: WHY ME?

_Land said:
some one could have told me all the poems were supposed to be named copacetic persuasion, but i was not persuaded...........
Wasn't that on the first post of the thread? Silly. *chuckles* :D

Anyway, I had to weasel out. I did have something ready in time, but I wasn't happy with it...

Anyway, I had to weasel out. I did have something ready in time, but I wasn't happy with it...

Yes but we love you nonetheless. :rose:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nonpoetry

Cordelia said:
And just which side of the ledger do you think I am on?

;)

I wrote poetry to see not only both sides of the ledger, but to find out what's written on the back of the financials.

Credited, Debited, and Footed,

Cordelia

Cordelia, you wrote:

“Sheesh, Ang. Some of us have real lives that are full of non-poetry.” <sigh> “I never was any good with peer pressure. Nor with pressure from you genius poets who can write quickly.”

Then I read your poem, wrote the debits thingie, then the second one and then the edit to say I was also one not good with peer pressure, and writing quickly. :)

THAT side of ledger.

Ok, Ok, I wasn't clear on this.... probably still not!:eek: (Its just no fun when you have to explain all this -LOL)
;)

So now you can put me on the "nonfunny," "fails-to-communicate-well" side of those two ledgers.

I hope this clears up the confusion :confused: !

You know, I think LAND just volunteered to be the next poet to come up with challenge!

Then he'll have to know how it works ...:D

Star Girl (who pmed me--yayyyy welcome back, StarGirl)

thanks for the welcome .... my poster let me down.. i think .. so if i ask nicely can you except one posted today(friday) plllllleaseeee..... or i can put it on here???
i hate to see a poem wasted ,... xxxxxx star...

thanks for the welcome .... my poster let me down.. i think .. so if i ask nicely can you except one posted today(friday) plllllleaseeee..... or i can put it on here???
i hate to see a poem wasted ,... xxxxxx star...

Hiya Star!

Post! They're never wasted! I'll add it to the list. Smoooch!

A.

Copacetic Review

I had some time this morning to read poems and this is my review:

03sp where Do you live? Not physically, I mean mentally! I thought I had an active imagination. That is imagination you are coming from, right?

American Woman almost missed Free Love era. Or parents…which means she did miss it. Would that be directly or indirectly?

Angeline is hero worshipping again, writing fine poetry too!

Cordelia had dance fever, she must be listening to different beat than Angeline.

Guilty_pleasure is into music also, of another kind. Roberta Flackish, in reverse, if you get my meaning.

JUDO, stop! You are just way too good at all forms of poetry – a terzanelle, for goodness sake? Do I sound jealous? Oh yeah, oh YEAH! (Yes, Angeline, it is my turn at heroine worship.)

LAND is building on more than one level… whew! Hot-t-t. I do not think the question needed asking, though, not really. You had this reader…. Never mind… tease! Alliteration also.

OT has a fine event planned out. Nice rhythm, good use of rhyme in two, two poems in one!

Rybka joins the jazz scene with copacetic pleasing poem of a unique style. A definite must read, especially for music lovers.

Silken_dreammaid has alliteration also. Strange love/hate relationship going on in this poem. Is not love grand?!?

Star at sunrise “Making love among the Art” with music and dance and pretty good rhythm. Have you made ‘love’ an art? Or an art of ‘love making’? hottie and latte –what type of rhyme is this? There is a name can’t remember it off hand. ‘Quixotic’ I need to look up.

WickedEve has other ideas for gaining persuasive action! I’m not too sure I want to be on the ‘being persuaded’ side of this ledger!

All-in-all, I would have to say the title ‘Copacetic Persuasion’ brings a musical image to most poetic minds. My mind must (alliteration Rybka) measure meter in a different fashion. I enjoyed the poetry.

Thank you. Your reader,

Next Challenge?

WHo is responsible for the next challenge? Rybka?

I want to have enough time to write a good poem this time ;)

_Land

Thanks for the review, Mythos! And thanks, Ang for having a great contest! It was a lot of fun, and there were some really excellent poems there.

Quixotic

I think "Quixotic" comes from "Don Quixote", and means "a hopeless quest" or something like that.

I dunno. I've never much been one for book-learnin'.

Title #6

Any thoughts on number 6?

anyone? anyone?

(if none by later today. I'll offer one up )

Re: Re: Copacetic Review

Star At Sunrise said:

No. I do not propose to know more than anyone else, but I welcome the opportunity to look further into your poem, Star at sunrise. I saw in the first stanza a good start for rhyme schemes. Many think rhyme is dull but done well it makes poetry fun! I saw it as an opportunity for me to learn more of rhyme. I found this:

From this site: “Rhyme: normally end-rhyme, that is, lines of verse characterized by the consonance of terminal words or syllables. Rhymed words conventionally share all sounds following the word's last stressed syllable. Thus "tenacity" and "mendacity" rhyme, but not "jaundice" and "John does," or "tomboy" and "calm bay." The rhyme scheme is usually the pattern of end-rhymes in a stanza, each rhyme being encoded by a letter of the alphabet from 'a' onwards.
· Apocopated: an imperfect rhyme between the final syllable of a word and the penultimate syllable of another word. For example,
Cardinals, red and dun, Chatter when it's sunny.
· Amphisbaenic rhyme: a reversed rhyme, such as "trot" and "tort."
· Antisthecon or wrenched rhyme: a rhyme created by distorting a word, such as "Samoa" for "some more of" in the limerick "An old maid in the land of Aloha."
· Broken rhyme: rhyming with an initial or medial syllable of a word that is split between two lines with a hyphen.
· Eye rhyme: words rhyming only as spelled, not as pronounced, and hence not a perfect or true rhyme. An example is "through" and "slough."
· Feminine rhyme: gendered expression for rhymes ending in one or more unstressed syllables, such as "fruity" and "booty." The expressions light, weak or multi-syllable rhyme avoid the sexist bias.
· Half-rhyme: rhyming only with the consonants in the terminal syllable(s) of a multi-syllable word. An example is "concrete" and "litcrit". Also termed `off-rhyme,' `slant rhyme,' or apophany, in which two single-syllable words (such as `tell' and `toll') share the opening and closing consonants but not the intervening vowel. See consonance.
· Identical rhymes: using the same word, identically in sound and in sense, twice in rhyming position.
· Initial rhyme: see Alliteration.
· Internal rhyme: rhymes between a word within a line, often from a medial position (termed also leonine) and one at the end of the line. Gelett Burgess' "An Alphabet of Famous Goops," rhyming aabbcc in 3-line stanzas, is an example. Othertimes words in the middle of two successive lines will rhyme in an interlaced way.
· Masculine rhyme: gendered expression for rhymes ending in a stressed syllable, such as "hells" and "bells." The expressions strong or one-syllable rhyme avoid the sexist bias.
· Monorhyme: the use of only one rhyme in a stanza. An example is William Blake's "Silent, Silent Night."
· Pararhyme: Edmund Blunden's term for double consonance, where different vowels appear within identical consonant pairs (a feature of Wilfrid Owens' verse).
· Tail rhyme: a stanza with a tail, tag, or extra short line that may rhyme with another such line later on. Chaucer's tale of Sir Thopas is one example.
· Rich rhyme: rhymes identical in sound (or spelling) but semantically different, e.g., "Felicity was present | To pick up her present."
· Synthetic rhyme: a forced rhyme in which the spelling and sound of a word are distorted.

When I read your first stanza I did not find Hottie and Latte to end rhyme. Pronunciation Dictionary (Merriam) has this:

Main Entry: hot·tie Pronunciation: 'hä-tE Function: noun
Date: 1990: a physically attractive person

Main Entry: lat·te Pronunciation: 'lä-(")tA Function: noun
Date: 1991

Main Entry: caf·fe lat·te
Pronunciation: 'kä-(")fA-'lä-(")tA
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian caffelatte, short for caffè e latte -coffee and milk
Date: 1927: espresso mixed with hot or steamed milk

From Your Poem:

I saw myself a little hottie
sippin’ and a slurpin’ on her latte
I said, "Let’s check out the beat at the museum
and go from now you don’t, to now you see ‘em!"

I saw myself a little ha-/tE
Sippin’ and a slurpin’ on her la-/tA

I was thinking:

Sippin’ and a slurpin’ on her la’tea (would this make it milk with tea?) (Internal rhyme)+(synthetic rhyme) This would be Synthetic rhyme, a forced rhyme in which the spelling and sound of a word are distorted.

Were you looking for ha/TE and la/TE? It is a foreign word that does not pronounce as spelled. The ‘ha” and “la” would be considered half rhyme if I understand this correctly. Such a device you did not follow through with in other lines of poem. Therefore, I figured you were after end rhyme. Then the second pair of rhyme words made me think you swere on another road, a less traveled, fun one!

I think your next rhyme pair, "museum" and "you see ‘em", are in the order of a reversed Antisthecon, or wrenched rhyme (a rhyme created by distorting a word, such as "Samoa" for "some more of"). If so, and to have changing rhyme schemes, I thought perhaps the following?

Sippin’ and slurpin’ on her hot tea (Internal rhyme)+(double alliteration)+(Antisthecon rhyme+(end rhyme)
I said, "Let’s check out the beat at the museum
and go from now you don’t, to now you see ‘em!"(Antisthecon)+(end rhyme)

Look at all that rhyming fun! Thank you again, Star at sunrise!

Hottie and latte

I think this must be a regional mispronunication--I have never heard anyone pronounce "Latte" as "Latta"--I've only heard "Lot-tea," so the rhyme makes sense to me. Oh well--I'll guess we're all saying it wrong, Star, but we all still love the poem!

:)

Re: Hottie and latte

Angeline said:
I think this must be a regional mispronunication--I have never heard anyone pronounce "Latte" as "Latta"--I've only heard "Lot-tea," so the rhyme makes sense to me. Oh well--I'll guess we're all saying it wrong, Star, but we all still love the poem!

:)
I agree with Angeline, Star.

This is an interesting point. How much do regional accents play in poetry. I pronounce bath with a long "a" as in "ah". So I would pronounce "latte" - lah-tay.

Perhaps there could be a small note attached to each poem describing the accent in which it should be read.

(this is a joke )

Back