Spend the day with...

By the look on her face, I knew she was really really excited. Or, I guess maybe, aghast.

"Tex Zed?!" Her skin had turned a rather odd color. I put that down to the endorphin rush of her enthusiasm.

"Yeah," I said, "My thinking is, ingratiate yourself with the crowd. Like, you know, when after that last poem, I say Hook 'em Horns!" I enthusiastically demonstrated the hand sign.

She grasped my upthrust hand in both of hers and carefully folded the middle finger down, then raised the index and little fingers. "Well," she said cheerily, like the practiced teacher that she was, "let's just get that expression right." Then she sighed heavily, and I thought I heard her mutter something like "Dear God, please just let him be assaulted and not killed."

I had a long pull from the Shiner Bock that was sitting on the railing. Wiped my brow. It's goddam fuckin' hot in Austin. I'd never done a slam before, but she'd suggested it.

"OK," she said, looking me square in the eye. "I have to ask this. What are you thinking about with these clothes?"

This hurt me. Hurt me bad. I'd paid a lot of money for these Tony Lama snakeskin boots even though they made my feet hurt. They did make me just taller than her, though, since she was wearing sandals, and I was grateful for that. The bolo tie was probably cinched too tight and the large turquoise clasp made me look jaundiced. The Stetson I wore was perhaps a size or two too big. It rested on my ears and glasses. I probably looked like the cover photo for Elvis Costello Does the Statler Brothers.

"I..."

"Well, never mind. Too late to do anything about that." She picked up my notes, which were lying scattered on the table.

Her brow furrowed. Not a good sign. "What," she exclaimed, holding up my notes, "is this?"

"Uh," I said, "my poem. Orestes the Gunslinger. Kind of Myth-Tex."

She rolled her eyes.

"It'll work," I said, "I think it's good! I fingered the pearl-handled revolvers I wore for show (a nice double-holstered rig) and began to recite:
Give me my pearl-handled gun, Apollo's gift,
where with my Colt I should defend myself
against these godless dolts, yea, even if
unto to my father. I am not yet mad.

A mortal hand will wound one of these
goddesses or tramps, unless they vanish
from my sight. Do not heed me, do not mark
the armored shaft of my far-shooting steel.

It is as ready to wing its flight. What! Do ye
linger still? Spread your pinions, skim the sky.
I do blame those oracles of Phoebus. And in time
I wear this Kevlar vest and wonder. Why?
"I think I will sit in the back," she said, walking toward the door. "Be calm. Don't worry if you can't see me. I'll," she coughed lightly, "be there rooting for you."

I be thinking I would love to spend the day with Tathagata ... or Rainman. To have lunch and see that zing of sexual magnetism and humor in their eyes. It doesn't even have to be directed at me :cattail: , just to see them in action, yummmmm ....

As for women, Anna would be my choice. Just because I think (imho) that Anna and I think the most alike ,,,

Honestly, I would love to meet everyone. Maybe do an anonymous date where we have to figure out who is who. Yes, some do have pics of themselves here but it would still be intriguing and a blast !!

:rose:

I have not been around much, missed this! Thank you

That color on my cheeks is called a tan, skin is one thing that doesn't fade down here!

And don't Worry Tex Zed, I got you covered. I arranged for Lyle himself to open for you with this song... being here a year now, I have sung it to myself many a time....still have not done a reading though :)

Artist/Band: Lovett Lyle
Lyrics for Song: That's Right
Lyrics for Album: The Road to Ensenada

You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well

So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited
When he saw the promised land

That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

See I was born and raised in Texas
And it means so much to me
Though my girl comes from down in Georgia
We were up in Tennessee

And as we were driving down the highway
She asked me baby what's so great
How come you're always going on
About your Lone Star State

I said that's right you're not from Texas

Oh the road it looked so lovely
As she stood there on the side
And she grew smaller in my mirror
As I watched her wave goodbye

Those boys from Carolina
They sure enough could sing
But when they came on down to Texas
We all showed them how to swing

Now David's on the radio
And old Champ's still on the guitar
And Uncle Walt he's home with Heidi
Hiding in her loving arms

They're OK in Oklahoma
Up in Arkansas they're fair
But those old folks in Missouri
They don't even know you're there

But at a dance hall down in Texas
That's the finest place to be
The women they all look beautiful
And their men will buy your beer for free

And they'll say that's right you're not from Texas

So won't you let me help you Mister
Just pull your hat down the way I do
And buy your pants just a little longer
And next time somebody laughs at you

You just tell 'em you're not from Texas

Tzara said:
By the look on her face, I knew she was really really excited. Or, I guess maybe, aghast.

"Tex Zed?!" Her skin had turned a rather odd color. I put that down to the endorphin rush of her enthusiasm.

"Yeah," I said, "My thinking is, ingratiate yourself with the crowd. Like, you know, when after that last poem, I say Hook 'em Horns!" I enthusiastically demonstrated the hand sign.

She grasped my upthrust hand in both of hers and carefully folded the middle finger down, then raised the index and little fingers. "Well," she said cheerily, like the practiced teacher that she was, "let's just get that expression right." Then she sighed heavily, and I thought I heard her mutter something like "Dear God, please just let him be assaulted and not killed."

I had a long pull from the Shiner Bock that was sitting on the railing. Wiped my brow. It's goddam fuckin' hot in Austin. I'd never done a slam before, but she'd suggested it.

"OK," she said, looking me square in the eye. "I have to ask this. What are you thinking about with these clothes?"

This hurt me. Hurt me bad. I'd paid a lot of money for these Tony Lama snakeskin boots even though they made my feet hurt. They did make me just taller than her, though, since she was wearing sandals, and I was grateful for that. The bolo tie was probably cinched too tight and the large turquoise clasp made me look jaundiced. The Stetson I wore was perhaps a size or two too big. It rested on my ears and glasses. I probably looked like the cover photo for Elvis Costello Does the Statler Brothers.

"I..."

"Well, never mind. Too late to do anything about that." She picked up my notes, which were lying scattered on the table.

Her brow furrowed. Not a good sign. "What," she exclaimed, holding up my notes, "is this?"

"Uh," I said, "my poem. Orestes the Gunslinger. Kind of Myth-Tex."

She rolled her eyes.

"It'll work," I said, "I think it's good! I fingered the pearl-handled revolvers I wore for show (a nice double-holstered rig) and began to recite:
Give me my pearl-handled gun, Apollo's gift,
where with my Colt I should defend myself
against these godless dolts, yea, even if
unto to my father. I am not yet mad.

A mortal hand will wound one of these
goddesses or tramps, unless they vanish
from my sight. Do not heed me, do not mark
the armored shaft of my far-shooting steel.

It is as ready to wing its flight. What! Do ye
linger still? Spread your pinions, skim the sky.
I do blame those oracles of Phoebus. And in time
I wear this Kevlar vest and wonder. Why?
"I think I will sit in the back," she said, walking toward the door. "Be calm. Don't worry if you can't see me. I'll," she coughed lightly, "be there rooting for you."

RhymeFairy said:
As for women, Anna would be my choice. Just because I think (imho) that Anna and I think the most alike ,,,

Honestly, I would love to meet everyone. Maybe do an anonymous date where we have to figure out who is who. Yes, some do have pics of themselves here but it would still be intriguing and a blast !!

:rose:

ha! a blind date, now there is another challenge :)

thanks for this, RF, very kind, and if we were ever to meet, I would be counting on you to make a plan, I am horribly boring. I would have us watching re-runs of Battlestar Gallactica and eating coconut popcicles.

I have been thinking about this challenge for a while now, and it is tempting! I just feel a bit odd, for those few people here that I know beyond the boards, to be careful with confidentiality would be tricky (ie... does everyone know that RainMan sucks his thumb and wears one of those long granny type dressing gowns to bed or was that something said in confidence?) and to invent things that I am just guessing feels weird too. But what the hell. It is just poetry, right?

Washing Dishes

Sometimes when I am putting dinner on the table
I realize I forgot to make a veggie

Well down here we count ketchup as a veggie
so I did not feel too guilty about the ravioli
and meatball dinner last night, because marinara
has to be better than ketchup, right?

Still, we aren't winning any awards, are we?

Nope, not this year.

My youngest came home from school
her shirt inside out and backwards.

Um hum. Pants.

His pants were inside out and backwards?

Nah, just backwards. And no, it was not the zipper kind.
Oh my god, don't tell anyone,
but my youngest saw Neo's naked butt illustrated poem.
He giggled for about 10 minutes and even started to sing
some booty song about taking pictures of naked butts.
Can I be arrested for this?

She peels the skin of her apple slowly,
I fear for her thumb, the knife in a steady approach.
The curl wraps around her unpolished fingers.

There should be a separate category, you know,
for poet mothers. Or we should be given a handicap.

You get bonus points for peeling an apple without breaking the skin
and for being so damn adorable.

Me?

Oh don't act like you don't know.

And for teaching them to follow their passion.
Even with eyes closed and fingers off the home row
sometimes we miss the bus but did you hear,
did you hear what he said when you called "Sweet Dreams?"
How he said Mom I am already having my sweetest dream, dreaming
how much I love you up to the blue house where I was born to the moon back to Baltimore and then to the end of the universe and right back home.

Yeah. We should get some kind of handicap.

Did you leave something on the stove?

Last edited:
Back