Story stars (votes)

Hi all, I was wondering, is there any way of seeing who votes on stories and more importantly what stars they give. Out of curiosity it would be nice to know ( not that we could do anything about it ) who consistently gives one star no matter if the story is good or bad. Thank you.
I like it when the person who comments on a story states how they voted, regardless of what that vote was. This is even more rewarding when their name isn't "Anonymous".

In the context of this site, wouldn’t it be wonderful if every story was superlative, hitting every one of our desires?
To the right readers, any story here could achieve stardom.

I've seen some of my stories languish in the 3.6 to 4.4 range for months and years, eventually rising to the 4.5 or higher range as I attract new audiences to my portfolio here.

Patiently waiting for those readers to find your story is not something that most authors excel at. Instant gratification might not be that gratifying, but if you take a long-haul perspective, story scores will find their proper level over time.

No, readers reward something that they like or agree with. And once in a while what they like is good prose, good story, good plot, but not enough to statistically isolate any of that as a factor.

Absolutely, but by the same token very often that 4.7 story is also not very good at all yet the author is all chuffed that he wrote something good.
And you have proof that your above statements are true? Care to share that proof? Or is it your OPINION that both are true? If it's just your opinion, cool. Everyone has a right to one, or two, or.. I've got a few of my own.
But to put any weight to them is another thing. It's a matter of numbers. What numbers you ask?

PSG's opinion on a story = 1

Readers who vote on a story enough to get it to that 4.7 level you mentioned = dozens? hundreds? thousands?

It seems to me that the preponderance of opinions (by an order of magnitude via voting) are on the side of it being a very good story. I think I will probably put more credence in the veracity of the overwhelming numbers.

Comshaw

Back