Sweden in a box

Svenskaflicka said:
then on the other hand, I feel that if you're not doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to hide.

I'd be very careful of this. This is the excuse they use all the time to increase survellance and take away privacy. "Why shouldn't we be able to stop you and search your car/home/person? If you don't have anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about."

Anyone who believes this has never had any dealings with the police.

---dr.M.

dr_mabeuse said:
I'd be very careful of this. This is the excuse they use all the time to increase survellance and take away privacy. "Why shouldn't we be able to stop you and search your car/home/person? If you don't have anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about."

Anyone who believes this has never had any dealings with the police.

---dr.M.
I agree. The one important thing to remember is: Who decides what is illegal? Today it might be things you agree should be illegal. Tomorrow it could be speaking your mind. Yesterday it was reading the Torah.

#Liar

Liar said:
As I said, it's not about locating individuals. It's about gathering a humongous sample of statistics to run possible scenarios on it. It won't be able to tell where I'm at.

And if someone tries to collect personal data about who my firends are, what I had for dinner, or who I'm dating or whatever, I'll just do like many a Swede with me. I'll lie until my nose starts to grow, until pigs fly and until smurfs jumps out my ears.

#Liar :)

That is exactly my point. It's not meant to be used in some way, but that is not important. The key is what you could use it for.

And a lot of people do not think, so they give out their data like trusting little idiots.

(feeling a triffle paranoid) :(

Liar said:
Oh yeah, and 12 million data (plus, Svenskaflicka is rught, we're about 9 mil) units in a gridded relation matrix? I don't see why that would be too much of a programming obstacle. It's not the mass of the posts that raise the stakes, it's the parameters per post. I could program this on my pc at home, as the mechanics would be the same for a thosand as ten million "people". But I think I'd need a helluva big computer to actually run the simulation.

Sorry, snapping out of geek mode right away. :)

#Liar

[geek]

It's not so much the volume of units, it's the detail. It's easy to program one person and tell them to go forth and replicate (NB. Only half the number needed IRL :D) as long as you don't go into too much detail. But the inheritance of each unit is going to be very small, because the level of detail they're talking about will result in very few common characteristics, so the possibility for polymorphism is low. Every bugger will have to have their own features programmed separately and with the rapidly changing population data, that is going to be a mare.

[/geek]

The Earl

Back