Tales From The Darkmaas Side: The Interview

I don't think anyone asked the question I most wanted to ask, which is--what's that name mean, darkmaas? Where the (expletive) did it come from?

And, if I'm ever in your city, I'd love to buy you too many drinks and send you home in a taxi.

Because poets don't let poets versify drunk. Or they shouldn't, anyway.

Ah the problem of the naming of things. Well, I thought at the time that "maas" was a Malay word meaning silver. One thing I like typographically is a double "a". Alas it doesn't exist in English. Maas seemed a bit short (does size matter?) so I looked for a modifier. I flirted for about a half second with dunkelmaas which should have meant dark or shaded silver which felt right, but who can take dunkelmaas seriously. Eventually darkmaas seemed to taste right. The joke is that "maas" does not in fact mean silver in Malay. The sad truth is that the name "darkmaas" is an intellectual tour-de-force with a false premise as its foundation. Story of my life really.

On the topic of versification under the influence, I have occasionally indulged. I don't think it helps. In theory, the flipping between lizard brain and human brain might be enhanced but dosage plays an important and difficult to control variable. The first draft of "Cyberia Redux" was written after a litre of bad Bordeaux ... a looser and less sensible darkmaas ... and I have no memory of writing "Salome Naked". It was on my screen when I woke up with a rather piercing headache.

We must experiment if you are ever in the neighbourhood. Pantoum Juleps and Sestina Slings until the blonde lady sings ...

::

Personally, I prefer a Sapphic Sunrise, but sometimes that can get complicated. Ah heck! This early in the morning how about a Cento Mimosa?

Tha Nieuwe Maas and the Oude Maas are distributaries (as opposed to tributaries) of the River Rhine which meet as they flow through Rotterdam. Rotterdamers just tend to call it De Maas.

Just a little trivia.

Ah the problem of the naming of things. Well, I thought at the time that "maas" was a Malay word meaning silver. One thing I like typographically is a double "a". Alas it doesn't exist in English. Maas seemed a bit short (does size matter?) so I looked for a modifier. I flirted for about a half second with dunkelmaas which should have meant dark or shaded silver which felt right, but who can take dunkelmaas seriously. Eventually darkmaas seemed to taste right. The joke is that "maas" does not in fact mean silver in Malay. The sad truth is that the name "darkmaas" is an intellectual tour-de-force with a false premise as its foundation. Story of my life really.

On the topic of versification under the influence, I have occasionally indulged. I don't think it helps. In theory, the flipping between lizard brain and human brain might be enhanced but dosage plays an important and difficult to control variable. The first draft of "Cyberia Redux" was written after a litre of bad Bordeaux ... a looser and less sensible darkmaas ... and I have no memory of writing "Salome Naked". It was on my screen when I woke up with a rather piercing headache.

We must experiment if you are ever in the neighbourhood. Pantoum Juleps and Sestina Slings until the blonde lady sings ...

And to think I could have been calling you Dunkelmaas all these years. He sounds like an extract from The Nutcracker.

Personally, I prefer a Sapphic Sunrise, but sometimes that can get complicated. Ah heck! This early in the morning how about a Cento Mimosa?

A sip of morning sapphistry
as Venus twinkles
low on the horizon
sounds entertaining
even though the recipe
is complicated

Alas for me
it is a pleasure
only to be savoured
vicariously
like a lithe and nubile Sestina

but I digress

Probably the story of both of our lives, unfortunately. And while you've managed to maintain some degree of decorum, I seem to revel in making myself A Figure of Common Fun.

Everyone loves a dunce, of course, because he (or, dare I suggest the occasional she) is so clueless.

I think sometimes I exist to validate other's self-worth.

That doubled "a" seems to suggest (as bogus implied) a Dutch origin, which would not be unheard of in Malaysia. Just a comment. :)

I would certainly buy you a round.

Does Canada have craft distilleries? That's kind of a new interest.

Canada doesn't need "craft" distilleries. Although they're all over the place.
BASIC FACTS ABOUT CANADIAN WHISKY
•Largest whisky category in U.S. with 11.5% share of all distilled spirits consumption and second-largest distilled spirits category overall.
•Often thought to be straight rye whisky, Canadian is actually made mostly from corn and is a blended whisky.
•Canadian whisky may be bottled either in the U.S. or in Canada.
•Canadian whisky must be aged in oak casks for a minimum of three years
•The age statement on a bottle of Canadian whisky is that of the youngest whisky used.

Last edited:
Canada doesn't need "craft" distilleries. Although they're all over the place.
BASIC FACTS ABOUT CANADIAN WHISKY
•Largest whisky category in U.S. with 11.5% share of all distilled spirits consumption and second-largest distilled spirits category overall.
•Often thought to be straight rye whisky, Canadian is actually made mostly from corn and is a blended whisky.
•Canadian whisky may be bottled either in the U.S. or in Canada.
•Canadian whisky must be aged in oak casks for a minimum of three years
•The age statement on a bottle of Canadian whisky is that of the youngest whisky used.
One of my favorite things about Canadian whisky is, like its European counterparts, it apparently prefers the brisk, and rather swift spelling "whisky," as opposed to the sluggish, and perhaps puritanical American spelling, "whiskey."

This implies, at least to me, that one gets rapidly drunk on bourbon whiskey, but might leisurely spend the afternoon getting loquaciously soused on Canadian whisky.

Whatever:
I raise a glass
of amber fluid,
nod at companions, knock it back.

What do I care
if "e" or not?
It's just supposed to blot my thought.​
I know, I know. I do prefer Canadian whisky, though. Does that make me a "Canadienophile?" That seems an awful word. I mean, "Anglophile" quite straightforwardly describes my fondness for England. What would be that equivalent for Canada?

One of my favorite things about Canadian whisky is, like its European counterparts, it apparently prefers the brisk, and rather swift spelling "whisky," as opposed to the sluggish, and perhaps puritanical American spelling, "whiskey."

This implies, at least to me, that one gets rapidly drunk on bourbon whiskey, but might leisurely spend the afternoon getting loquaciously soused on Canadian whisky.

Whatever:
I raise a glass
of amber fluid,

What do I care
if "e" or not?
I know, I know. I do prefer Canadian whisky, though. Does that make me a "Canadienophile?" That seems an awful word. I mean, "Anglophile" quite straightforwardly describes my fondness for England. What would be that equivalent for Canada?
Hoserphile... one who practices hoserphilia...

Whatever:
I raise a glass
of amber fluid,

What do I care
if "e" or not?

Speak no more of wasted "e"s
sip slowly
wait
then sip again
searching for that tipple point
when you can drop
the sibilants
and simply whisper
Wh'eeeeee

Speak no more of wasted "e"s
sip slowly
wait
then sip again
searching for that tipple point
when you can drop
the sibilants
and simply whisper
Wh'eeeeee

You guys don't need a bartender; a bottle and pen will suffice.
Hoserphiles? Hosers? firemen at a firesale?

Back