That one teasing scene...

Wow, that is more complex than I had thought. It makes me wonder how many "Black Ops" the government is really running out there. It seems that the more powerful a nation becomes, the more it needs strange and secretive operations to keep everything going. I guess the Romans, Pharaohs, Spartans, etc., had their own versions of "spycraft/intelligence" somewhere behind the scenes.

Wow, that is more complex than I had thought. It makes me wonder how many "Black Ops" the government is really running out there. It seems that the more powerful a nation becomes, the more it needs strange and secretive operations to keep everything going. I guess the Romans, Pharaohs, Spartans, etc., had their own versions of "spycraft/intelligence" somewhere behind the scenes.
In a WIP she is interrogating a terrorist and goes on a rant about what animals Isis are and they think the US won't sink to their level, and to the world at large they don't, but behind the scenes they have people like her who earned the nickname Malak al-Maut, or Angel of Death and is renowned not only for her body count but extreme sadism to the people she's needed intel from, and how creatively she makes them die.

Her personality which is difficult for me to write because I love sarcasm, and one liners and cool threats etc...is she's cold as ice and devoid of emotion or personality when working. The type to walk into a bar where a a target is, and just whip out a gun and fire away at them and their bodyguards. Bit dull in some ways, but I'm not writing Hollywood. If anyone needs an example of the opposite which drives me crazy its those awful Reacher movies with Cruise, the first one where he fights the morons in a bar out in the street and he's wise cracking and acting like a fool the entire time.

Real life that type would have never ended up in the fight to begin with, but if they had to would simply do what was needed and vanish.

Which is why in the scene I'm stuck on its imperative that she doesn't engage, but it turned out there was no other way because the rest of scum in the bar were more than happy to stand there and watch a Big dans replay so she kills them, and in less than a few seconds and only one or two blows to each opponent. Again, I strive for real and gritty not glory and showmanship.

I was goofing around in a thread a couple of days ago and wrote a couple lines where a woman kills a man who came up behind her. If you play it out in your mind it would happen in a handful of seconds.

In a WIP she is interrogating a terrorist and goes on a rant about what animals Isis are and they think the US won't sink to their level, and to the world at large they don't, but behind the scenes they have people like her who earned the nickname Malak al-Maut, or Angel of Death and is renowned not only for her body count but extreme sadism to the people she's needed intel from, and how creatively she makes them die.

Her personality which is difficult for me to write because I love sarcasm, and one liners and cool threats etc...is she's cold as ice and devoid of emotion or personality when working. The type to walk into a bar where a a target is, and just whip out a gun and fire away at them and their bodyguards. Bit dull in some ways, but I'm not writing Hollywood. If anyone needs an example of the opposite which drives me crazy its those awful Reacher movies with Cruise, the first one where he fights the morons in a bar out in the street and he's wise cracking and acting like a fool the entire time.

Real life that type would have never ended up in the fight to begin with, but if they had to would simply do what was needed and vanish.

Which is why in the scene I'm stuck on its imperative that she doesn't engage, but it turned out there was no other way because the rest of scum in the bar were more than happy to stand there and watch a Big dans replay so she kills them, and in less than a few seconds and only one or two blows to each opponent. Again, I strive for real and gritty not glory and showmanship.

I was goofing around in a thread a couple of days ago and wrote a couple lines where a woman kills a man who came up behind her. If you play it out in your mind it would happen in a handful of seconds.
You could give her a bit of dry humor. Something like that chick in SVU, or to probably a lesser extent, Zoey Dechenals character in Bones. Or... and I don't expect you to go find one, but Dallas in Nora Roberts In Death book series; she's a rather no nonsense cop. I guess, really, Batman would also be a good example. For most people, heroes and villains, a smirk from that man is probably one of the scariest things he can do.

I’ve had countless images I can’t place into a story quite yet. A shot from behind of a girl lounging on a red chaise seat flipping her light brown lioness mane behind her head, a voluptuous tan brunette naked and dropping a set of chains down on the bed beside me, a saucy redhead wearing black and crimson lingerie with a bush sticking out of the thong piece sitting on her hands between two men, and on and on
@StillStunned has another writing exercise in the thread, Writing exercise 3: something for the weekend. He's got three lines and is challenging us to write something based on that. He suggests that 250 words might be enough, but I think I can do a lot more than that.

The three lines are:

Ellie is working in her garden when she hears the new neighbours - Don and Val - having sex. Intrigued, she keeps listening, trying to find a place where she can get a view of them. She has her fingers down her shorts when suddenly she feels strong hands grab her waist and a cock press up against her.

I think the thread should get more attention, because it does offer some interesting possibilities.

@StillStunned has another writing exercise in the thread, Writing exercise 3: something for the weekend. He's got three lines and is challenging us to write something based on that. He suggests that 250 words might be enough, but I think I can do a lot more than that.
The 250 words is just for a little snippet, to share your particular style and approach. It's not intended for a self-contained work.

That said, once you start writing it's hard to stop. :)

You could give her a bit of dry humor. Something like that chick in SVU, or to probably a lesser extent, Zoey Dechenals character in Bones. Or... and I don't expect you to go find one, but Dallas in Nora Roberts In Death book series; she's a rather no nonsense cop. I guess, really, Batman would also be a good example. For most people, heroes and villains, a smirk from that man is probably one of the scariest things he can do.
My bad, she's not completely non verbal, and as your example does make an occasional dry comment. But most of my characters, sling a lot of sarcastic remarks, and insult each other constantly-in other words they all sound like anyone who grew up in the 80's. So its difficult when writing her to keep her dialogue toned down.

This conversation is a reminder to get back to a how to I've been working on regarding how to portray a realistic Femme Fatale that doesn't come across as a Mary Sue

I definitely have some throwaway docs that are just what you describe: a scene is in my head, it has no context, but I don't want to forget it, so I write it down and file it away somewhere.

The hope, and it happens occasionally, is that I'll have a work in progress at some point and in a flash I'll realize the scene is perfect for it, and I'll dig it up and repurpose it.

Other times it just sits there in the dark, and that's okay too. If a scene is burning in my mind that much then it's usually fun to write, even if I don't ever use it.

The 250 words is just for a little snippet, to share your particular style and approach. It's not intended for a self-contained work.

That said, once you start writing it's hard to stop. :)
Yes, someone just informed me of the three-paragraph rule. Does that refer to per post, or an entire thread? I'll have to pick which three paragraphs then. I never had a case where I had to be concerned with that before. The entire thing - this is just a guess - won't be be ready until June I think.

Yes, someone just informed me of the three-paragraph rule. Does that refer to per post, or an entire thread? I'll have to pick which three paragraphs then. I never had a case where I had to be concerned with that before. The entire thing - this is just a guess - won't be be ready until June I think.

I wonder about the intent of that rule.

• Please do not post story submissions to the forums. You may post short snippets (less than 3 paragraphs or so) for discussion, but please post your full stories to the story side only.

As far as I can tell there aren’t any rules about post lengths unless it’s a quote from a story. It makes sense as an effort to avoid clogging the forum view with lengthy story content, especially in the older forum versions, but would it be a problem if the snippets are put in quote windows?

Quote windows

What harm is there? What difference does it make to anyone for any reason? 🧐

That was just a forum software issue, not a rule. 😉
I'm guessing that they are concerned that writers will post entire stories on the forums and bypass the standard submission process. Or maybe do both, with the forum there to give "previews" of coming attractions.

I only mention that because I used to do something like that on the IMDb.com forums. There was a software limit, but I would post pieces of my screenplays there, one at a time. There was no site to accept scripts (at least I don't think so) and there probably still isn't one that I know of. I actually had a few loyal readers who would follow what I was doing.

IMDb.com forums were impossible to moderate because there were so many of them, and they have been gone for a long time.

I wonder about the intent of that rule.

What harm is there? What difference does it make to anyone for any reason? 🧐
Then there is the sheer amount of clutter that would result, even if quote windows were employed. The site would also feel obligated to moderate everything. There are forum mods, but they don't intervene very often.

Just write the scene down to get it out of your head, that works for me.
Yeah, this. Get it down and tuck it into the files. Someday, you'll be writing and find the story for it.

OR! Or, it's a 750 word story for next year.

Back