the future...

anonamouse said:
I believe retching is a more common reaction to Bloom. Think of him as the Dr. Phil of poetry, think of Maya Angelou as Oprah.

Gazes into the crystal, I am beginning to see.....

hope for you.

I realized early on that the academy and the literary world alike, and I don't think there really is a distinction between the two, are always dominated by fools, knaves, charlatans and bureaucrats. And that being the case, any human being, male or female, of whatever status, who has a voice of her or his own, is not going to be liked.

-- Harold Bloom

:)

Angeline said:
I realized early on that the academy and the literary world alike, and I don't think there really is a distinction between the two, are always dominated by fools, knaves, charlatans and bureaucrats. And that being the case, any human being, male or female, of whatever status, who has a voice of her or his own, is not going to be liked.

-- Harold Bloom

Explains alot.....

about me....

doesn't it? :rose:

wildsweetone said:
i've borrowed this poem of normal jean's and put it here because there's something i'd like to ask... (and normal jean, it is simply that your poem triggered off some thinking out loud for me :rose: )

one of the theories i glanced at a while back was that the woman Shakespeare is said to have written (was it his sonnets? sorry i've forgotten) for, was actually a man. of course another theory is that it was a black woman. actually, from what i gathered there were many theories and none of them proven.

I have also been reading 'Classic Haiku - An Anthology of Poems by Basho and His Folowers' which is translated and annotated by Astaro Miyamori. In this book Astaro not only translates but also tells us what was probably in Baso's thoughts when he wrote his Haiku.

I wonder sometimes how many people, noted or not, actually get it wrong when they inform us why and what these famous people were writing about.

Sure some things can be proven to be correct. But when there are many opinions around like there are for Shakespeare and for Basho (innumerable people in innumerable languages translate Basho's writing and often come up with very different meanings during the translation process), how do you know which to believe?

How much of our knowledge about these two and other classics, is wrong?

What do you do? Choose an option that you prefer, one that seems more right than the others?

This question gets to the heart of the matter, and really, it does not matter. The poetry exists outside the authour. It is no longer his. An opinion can be formed, and it can be educated, researched, but it will always be your subjective opinion to a large degree. The basis for forming that opinion is for your growth, for your seeing.
What is written by an authour is always coloured by their subjective determinations of what they want you to see.

What you see is what you get.

But, the more you look at something from different angles, the more you see.
Look at this exchange

Burn down the established order and let chaos rule. Ever been to a bookshop lately and found an exciting poetry book by someone you've never heard of? No, neither have I. The exciting, the heretical and the profane are kept out in favour of smaltz and turgid craft.

My rant for the day. (having just been disappointed at the bookstore again.)

bogusbrig said:
Burn down the established order and let chaos rule. Ever been to a bookshop lately and found an exciting poetry book by someone you've never heard of? No, neither have I. The exciting, the heretical and the profane are kept out in favour of smaltz and turgid craft.

Aye. Sailin' the seas of smaltz in me turgid craft, wit me parrot on me shoulder.
'arold, I calls 'em.
Oy, vey

Angeline said:

-- Harold Bloom

seems to fit my boot size <grin

anonamouse said:
Aye. Sailin' the seas of smaltz in me turgid craft, wit me parrot on me shoulder.
'arold, I calls 'em.
Oy, vey

That looks like me after I've read a Plath poem. Damn, I have an electric oven, being frazzled doesn't seem the best way out to me. Oh well, I'll just have to read another an wallow a little more.

bogusbrig said:

Yes, but they have to eat and pay the rent, too. People buy Frost and Neruda. Bill Knott and Ted Berrigan don't sell. I've been trying for the longest time to find either (or both) of Sandra Cisneros's books of poetry in my local bookstores. Oh, they can order them or I can get them at Amazon, but I won't find them on local shelves.

Prairie Lights is my favorite bookstore. They have a huge poetry selection and loads of oddball stuff you can't find anywhere else. I'd love to support them more, but I don't get to Iowa City too often anymore. :cool:

Angeline said:
Prairie Lights is my favorite bookstore. They have a huge poetry selection and loads of oddball stuff you can't find anywhere else. I'd love to support them more, but I don't get to Iowa City too often anymore. :cool:

I so so miss London when I want to buy books, strolling down Charing Cross Road and have a beer inbetween stores, then finishing off with a stroll around the National Portrait Gallery. (sigh)

Well the stores I go to haven't got a sale out of me for a long time, I'm not demanding, I just want to be excited by something new (to me). :mad: GRRR!

Angeline said:
Yes, but they have to eat and pay the rent, too. People buy Frost and Neruda. Bill Knott and Ted Berrigan don't sell. I've been trying for the longest time to find either (or both) of Sandra Cisneros's books of poetry in my local bookstores. Oh, they can order them or I can get them at Amazon, but I won't find them on local shelves.

I love bookstores and am lucky to live in an area where there are quite good ones. The University Book Store, which is semi-associated with the University of Washington, is large, comprehensive, has a pretty good poetry section and all kinds of other interesting things like a section on "cultural theory" (where you can get your yuks reading Cixous, Foucault, de Man, and others). Open Books, which is fairly close by, is the only all-poetry bookstore west of the Mississippi. Wide range of contemporary poetry, both new and used. Run by a guy who was a student of Bill Knott.

Down in Portland (Oregon, not Maine) is Powell's Books—big as a city block and four stories high. Mixed used and new, eccentric and maddening. Great place to spend a few hours.

I could probably find at least one of Cisneros's books in at least two of the three. But they aren't infallible, either. Been looking recently for Louis Zukofsky's shorter poems and all three struck out.

Which is why God (well, Jeff Bezos) invented Amazon.

bogusbrig said:
I so so miss London when I want to buy books, strolling down Charing Cross Road and have a beer in between stores, then finishing off with a stroll around the National Portrait Gallery. (sigh)
Man. My absolute favorite thing do do when I go to Europe. (sigh) is right.

Shit. Now I want to take a week off and go to London.

Tzara said:
Man. My absolute favorite thing do do when I go to Europe. (sigh) is right.

Shit. Now I want to take a week off and go to London.

To hell with it, I'm going to buy a ticket. Rotterdam to London Stansted 90 euro return, 35 minutes flight. Why am I whinging and not on the plane? :D

Tzara said:
I love bookstores and am lucky to live in an area where there are quite good ones. The University Book Store, which is semi-associated with the University of Washington, is large, comprehensive, has a pretty good poetry section and all kinds of other interesting things like a section on "cultural theory" (where you can get your yuks reading Cixous, Foucault, de Man, and others). Open Books, which is fairly close by, is the only all-poetry bookstore west of the Mississippi. Wide range of contemporary poetry, both new and used. Run by a guy who was a student of Bill Knott.

Down in Portland (Oregon, not Maine) is Powell's Books—big as a city block and four stories high. Mixed used and new, eccentric and maddening. Great place to spend a few hours.

I could probably find at least one of Cisneros's books in at least two of the three. But they aren't infallible, either. Been looking recently for Louis Zukofsky's shorter poems and all three struck out.

Which is why God (well, Jeff Bezos) invented Amazon.

Yeah I know. I should just shut up and line Jeff's pockets a little more. I keep foolishly hoping I'll find one of them used locally. I do live in a college town after all. No such luck though. The used bookstores are all full of Tom Clancy and John Grisham. And I can buy all the romance novels I want for 50 cents each. :cool:

Ok, I did find Toni Morrison's Jazz and Marge Piercey's Gone to Soldiers yesterday for a buck each--but that's as good as it gets.

bogusbrig said:
To hell with it, I'm going to buy a ticket. Rotterdam to London Stansted 90 euro return, 35 minutes flight. Why am I whinging and not on the plane? :D
If you go, give Trudy¹ a wink for me, mate.

¹ Lady Colin Campbell, née Gertrude Blood. Quite the cutie and one of my favorites in the Portrait Gallery.

Angeline said:

you don't find books or poets, they find you
:rose:

Back