The Oscars

"Hello, everyone, this is your action news reporter with all the news that is news across the nation on the scene at the Oscars. There seems to have been some disturbance here near the podium. Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?"

"Yeah, I did, I was just waiting to get Mr. Niven's autograph for my wife, Ethel. I's standin' over there by the statues. Here he come running through with his own Oscar, standing tall, running cross the stage. I hollared, 'Don't look, Ethel!' Too late, she'd already been awarded."
There may be some that don't know what you reference. To help:

Comshaw

Same. I mean, it was... okay.

Would I watch it again? Probably not.

Obviously though, we're not really the target audience though, are we?

Hey lots of people loved it. Good for them, ya know?
My better half wanted to walk out. I made her stay, ‘cause Gosling is always worth the effort.

My better half wanted to walk out. I made her stay, ‘cause Gosling is always worth the effort.
It was way too obvious in places. People said Greta did a great job coping with the restrictions, but it still felt like a feature length ad.

And - as someone who views themselves as a feminist - I found it a bit anti-men, and not even in a particularly clever way. I know it was meant to be tongue in cheek, but please.

At the end of the day, even with disabled Barbies and black Barbie’s and particle Physics Barbies and plus sized Barbies, it’s still selling an unrealistic image of womanhood to young girls.

Emily

It was way too obvious in places. People said Greta did a great job coping with the restrictions, but it still felt like a feature length ad.

And - as someone who views themselves as a feminist - I found it a bit anti-men, and not even in a particularly clever way. I know it was meant to be tongue in cheek, but please.

At the end of the day, even with disabled Barbies and black Barbie’s and particle Physics Barbies and plus sized Barbies, it’s still selling an unrealistic image of womanhood to young girls.

Emily
Did you read what I wrote about it last June? Yeah, I reviewed a movie only from the trailers, which were the only things available at that time. (Saves all the trouble of going to a theater.) Quentin Tarantino, as the director of Robbie's earlier film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, takes some lumps, but he hasn't complained to me yet.

What's Up with Barbie's Feet?

I also underestimated how popular Oppenheimer would be.

Last edited:
I haven't watched since Boyhood lost to a movie no one remembers in 2014.

How could they not recognize a beautiful, unique work like that?
So, a movie one person remembers lost to one no one remembers. Makes sense, I guess. Even if only to you. 😜

Did you read what I wrote about it last June? Yeah, I reviewed a movie only from the trailers, which were the only things available at that time. (Saves all the trouble of going to a theater.) Quentin Tarantino, as the director of Robbie's earlier film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, takes some lumps, but he hasn't complained to me yet.

What's Up with Barbie's Feet?

I also underestimated how popular Oppenheimer would be.
I started reading it earlier - will finish some time.

Emily

Product placement doesn't affect whether or not something is art IMO. The LEGO movie was one of the most emotionally moving kids movies I've seen.

Barbie didn't reach that level, but I didn't see it as a commercial pushing things at kids. As someone else said, a kid would lose interest a third of the way through. It's a nostalgia film for women who grew up in the 80s and 90s, I think. Ready Player One for chicks. With some feminist things to say, but I agree with Em that it seemed more anti man than pro woman.

I started reading it earlier - will finish some time.

Emily
No problem. Although, I had hoped it was one of those "must read the whole thing now" kind of submissions. ;) Of course, everybody thinks their stuff is in that category.

Poor Things was magnificient. I was rooting for Barbie to split everything with Poor Things, so was clearly disappointed.

Poor Things was magnificient. I was rooting for Barbie to split everything with Poor Things, so was clearly disappointed.
Want to see Poor Things - our local theater isn’t great, but it’s now on streaming, so soon

I have to believe all theaters are great! You know, being I was, sort of, raised in one.
It’s just kinda small (I think it was small to start then they split it, all before we lived here) and the sound system is not so good.

Where might I sign a petition against him fucking up Brick Town? Damn, I hate billion airs coming here; bring that shit that doesn't belong here. We don't need one building that can accommodate half the population of OKC at one time.
Now I'll never know. To digress a bit, Oklahoma City is going to have the tallest building in the country. Isn't that New York's job? Okay, Chicago is okay once in a while.

https://www.dezeen.com/2024/03/11/legends-tower-tallest-skyscraper-usa-oklahoma-funding-secured/

So, a movie one person remembers lost to one no one remembers. Makes sense, I guess. Even if only to you. 😜
Way more than one person:

Boyhood premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival[4] and was released theatrically on July 11, 2014.[5]The film competed in the main competition section of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival,[6] where Linklater won the Silver Bear for Best Director.[7] It received universal acclaim from critics, with praise for its performances, Linklater's screenplay and direction, and subject matter. It was also nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, winning Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress for Arquette; five BAFTA awards, winning for Best Director and Best Film; and six Academy Awards, winning Best Supporting Actress for Arquette. On Metacritic, it is the most recent film to have a score of 100 out of 100 and is the best-reviewed film released in the 21st century thus far.

Note that this quote from Wikipedia gets it wrong, and I have deleted the mistake. Boyhood did not win Best Picture. (Birdman won it. Remember it?)

Here's the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyhood_(2014_film)

Yes, I remember.
Way more than one person:

Boyhood premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival[4] and was released theatrically on July 11, 2014.[5]The film competed in the main competition section of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival,[6] where Linklater won the Silver Bear for Best Director.[7] It received universal acclaim from critics, with praise for its performances, Linklater's screenplay and direction, and subject matter. It was also nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, winning Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress for Arquette; five BAFTA awards, winning for Best Director and Best Film; and six Academy Awards, winning Best Supporting Actress for Arquette. On Metacritic, it is the most recent film to have a score of 100 out of 100 and is the best-reviewed film released in the 21st century thus far.

Note that this quote from Wikipedia gets it wrong, and I have deleted the mistake. Boyhood did not win Best Picture. (Birdman won it. Remember it?)

Here's the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyhood_(2014_film)

Back