The werewolf non-human genre

must you toy with me so?
vicious-whiplash-viralhog.gif

And to address the topic more seriously, I've written a couple because but found it very difficult to tap into the erotic tropes in a way that excites me. I also feel that werewolves don't lend too well to lesbian storytelling, which is my primary erotic fixation. At least I haven't encountered a good lesbian werewolf story yet and I don't think I had done a very good job of it. Possibly because getting overpowered (consensually ofc) and savagely penetrated by a werewolf is a big part of the appeal of the trope? I dunno. Maybe if I gave my female werewolves strap-ons I'd have a different perspective 🤔
Maybe I'll make that the premise of my Halloween story: Lesbian werewolf obtains a strap-on and goes on a rampage.

Last edited:
This may not be applicable to your wife or your intended story, but many of the fans in Nonhuman are transformation fans. There are werewolf camps and vampire camps and so forth, but there are some themes that are shared by most, to varying degrees. Two major ones I've noticed:
Primalism or savagery. This is not necessarily about violence, although it can be for some. It's typically more about the rejection of 'civilization' and 'intellectualism' in order to experience deep emotions without trying to filter them or contextualize them from some kind of moral perspective. Overpowering or overwhelming lust is a common trope across a lot of erotica, and transformation fans often consider it a requisite. Furthermore, they usually want it to be truly overpowering (as opposed to mere hyperbole), such that the character's 'humanity' is set aside, preferably literally.
Metamorphosis. The act of changing from human to something else is often considered innately erotic to transformation fans, sometimes regardless of what the 'something else' actually is. This is a theme that seems to have some overlap with the interests of the transgender community, many of whom understand the feeling of not being quite at home in their bodies, or in the roles society prefers. Changing bodies means changing expectations and limitations. The ability to take on a different form, especially one that gives the reader 'power' to which they aspire but probably cannot obtain in reality, tends to be highly appealing. That's classic wish fulfillment, of course, and common across erotica, as the large number of ten-inch dicks and giant tits can testify; transformation fans just take it a little bit further and in a somewhat different direction.

In an attempt to give an actual serious reply for @Rob_Royale

Macabre is sexy. Gothic fantasy is sexy. Anything to do with the Faë is sexy. Stuff with vampires, werewolves, the dark forest, the night side etc is - if done well - very hard to resist. It calls to our dark side. All our best stories as a species are dark; Romeo and Juliet, Snow White, Aladdin... it's the darkness that gives shape to the tale.

Werewolves are powerful symbols of dark, forbidden lust - Dracula took the form of a werewolf when he seduced Lucy.

So the stories of werewolf boning are tapping into the reader's desire to (in some degree) be possessed by something she cannot control.

Imo, anyway.
Thank you both. I'm not sure my idea fits with a lot of that. Something to work on perhaps.

Here's a thought that's more or less on topic. When I was a kid, wolves in stories were nasty and dangerous. They were a menace to society and individuals. Then, probably somewhere in the 1990s, this changed: all of a sudden they were noble creatures of the wild. Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, even GRRM's direwolves, and going back further David Eddings in the Belgariad.

I suspect this shift had something to do with wolves having died out in most Western countries, or at least being pushed back into the margins.

When Stephen Fry did his programme about America, he visited a farm (I think in Wyoming) where wolves would come up to the farmhouse at night and kill the animals - and the farmers couldn't do anything about it, because wolves are a protected species. The same is happening in Europe, as wolves make their return. Farm animals and pets savaged and killed.

So I think at least part of the fascination with werewolves comes from people still thinking that wolves are noble beneath their savage exterior. I suspect that anyone who had to watch helplessly while their livestock was killed would have a more prosaic view of the creatures.

In an attempt to give an actual serious reply for @Rob_Royale

Macabre is sexy. Gothic fantasy is sexy. Anything to do with the Faë is sexy. Stuff with vampires, werewolves, the dark forest, the night side etc is - if done well - very hard to resist. It calls to our dark side. All our best stories as a species are dark; Romeo and Juliet, Snow White, Aladdin... it's the darkness that gives shape to the tale.

Werewolves are powerful symbols of dark, forbidden lust - Dracula took the form of a werewolf when he seduced Lucy.

So the stories of werewolf boning are tapping into the reader's desire to (in some degree) be possessed by something she cannot control.

Imo, anyway.
I think there's also the "taming" aspect of it. After sex, in a lot of these stories, the werewolf is often tamer, sometimes even having been transformed back into its human form. If we're doing a really silly deep dive into psychology and human sexuality (which we are, because we're talking about banging werewolves), there's a reinforcement of stereotypical gender roles, but heightened: the man takes what he wants (which the woman reluctantly wants, too, even if she doesn't know/won't acknowledge it) but afterwards, she's the one who has the power--or perhaps has taken power from him--at least until he transforms into a beast again. She's domesticated him, and even if a domesticated animal is still dangerous, she still wields power over him once his urges are handled.

Vampire fans just listened to the Cure too much, and God bless them for it. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Bram Stoker, for giving pale, antisocial guys hope.

vicious-whiplash-viralhog.gif

And to address the topic more seriously, I've written a couple because but found it very difficult to tap into the erotic tropes in a way that excites me. I also feel that werewolves don't lend too well to lesbian storytelling, which is my primary erotic fixation. At least I haven't encountered a good lesbian werewolf story yet and I don't think I had done a very good job of it. Possibly because getting overpowered (consensually ofc) and savagely penetrated by a werewolf is a big part of the appeal of the trope? I dunno. Maybe if I gave my female werewolves strap-ons I'd have a different perspective 🤔
Maybe I'll make that the premise of my Halloween story: Lesbian werewolf obtains a strap-on and goes on a rampage.
At the very least, there has to be a "time of the month" joke in there.

You could make it tragic: two happy lesbians, until one gets bitten by a werewolf and transforms into a *male* werewolf, and her lover rejects her.

The "taming of the wild beast" element brings me to mind of the ever-present "I, an indistinct reader avatar, have managed to enthrall this millionaire/playboy/philanthropist/celebrity/prince despite my humble origins." But it may be only an interesting parallel.

She's domesticated him, and even if a domesticated animal is still dangerous, she still wields power over him once his urges are handled.
Yup, this is pretty much the crux of it. "He's a really bad boy but I, and only I, cam tame him" is an expression of a very common female fantasy. This is basically it, but cranked up to 11.

Yup, this is pretty much the crux of it. "He's a really bad boy but I, and only I, cam tame him" is an expression of a very common female fantasy. This is basically it, but cranked up to 11.
The "taming of the wild beast" element brings me to mind of the ever-present "I, an indistinct reader avatar, have managed to enthrall this millionaire/playboy/philanthropist/celebrity/prince despite my humble origins." But it may be only an interesting parallel.
Beauty and the Beast.

Maybe if I gave my female werewolves strap-ons I'd have a different perspective 🤔
"My, what a long tongue you have, Ms. Werewolfess!"
"Thanks for noticing! And my feral instincts make me want to lick everything!"

Beauty and the Beast.
🎶
AH: "No... one... fucks like Gaston,
no one bucks like Gaston,
no one quite as astoundingly nuts like Gaston."

Gaston: "As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating"

AH: "Not a bit of him's scraggly or mangy."
Gaston: "That's right! And every last inch of me's covered with hair!"

Here's a thought that's more or less on topic. When I was a kid, wolves in stories were nasty and dangerous. They were a menace to society and individuals. Then, probably somewhere in the 1990s, this changed: all of a sudden they were noble creatures of the wild. Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, even GRRM's direwolves, and going back further David Eddings in the Belgariad.

I suspect this shift had something to do with wolves having died out in most Western countries, or at least being pushed back into the margins.

When Stephen Fry did his programme about America, he visited a farm (I think in Wyoming) where wolves would come up to the farmhouse at night and kill the animals - and the farmers couldn't do anything about it, because wolves are a protected species. The same is happening in Europe, as wolves make their return. Farm animals and pets savaged and killed.

So I think at least part of the fascination with werewolves comes from people still thinking that wolves are noble beneath their savage exterior. I suspect that anyone who had to watch helplessly while their livestock was killed would have a more prosaic view of the creatures.
I remember that I felt a change in the dynamic in the 80s with Company of Wolves - though that could be because I was hanging around with some Gothy type girls who lapped that shit up. Of course, I may not have noticed anything much before that because I was too young, but maybe also there was a nexus between fear and raging desire with An American Werewolf in London.

Personally, I've never been able to take the werewolf thing too seriously - I just laughed when I saw Ollie Reed do his Hammer House transition, and then we had Dog Soldiers - fun, but a long, long way from scary, and lastly there were the werewolves in What We Do In The Shadows, and now I just think of blokes fighting not to lift their leg up against a tree when the need takes them...

I remember that I felt a change in the dynamic in the 80s with Company of Wolves - though that could be because I was hanging around with some Gothy type girls who lapped that shit up. Of course, I may not have noticed anything much before that because I was too young, but maybe also there was a nexus between fear and raging desire with An American Werewolf in London.

Personally, I've never been able to take the werewolf thing too seriously - I just laughed when I saw Ollie Reed do his Hammer House transition, and then we had Dog Soldiers - fun, but a long, long way from scary, and lastly there were the werewolves in What We Do In The Shadows, and now I just think of blokes fighting not to lift their leg up against a tree when the need takes them...
Werewolves are always hokey in films. It's only in literature that they come close to their true nature.

That said, Wolf is one of the less-bad renditions. Wilderness is another.

I love Wolf, and Ginger Snaps, and Underworld, although that last one more for the vampires.

Back