Things from RL in your stories

I often have people driving really badly in my stories, mostly played for laughs, such as one where a senile old man from Chicago drives past an Australian themed wildlife park and decides that he had better change to the other side of the road, something that doesn't really impress the 'Australians'.

Many of these bad driving stories come from my experiences and observations out on the road. If you've ever read my stories set in the Australian state of Queensland, you would feel a sense of foreboding in driving there, or think I am exaggerating. For example in my story 'Body Swap With Sister's Boyfriend' the brother only has a learner's permit while his twin sister's boyfriend has his licence, which means the brother in the boyfriend's guise has to navigate some pretty scary roads in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, with other drivers offering the terrified young man criticism that is far from constructive. In 'Exploring With My Big Brother', 18-year-old university student Matilda is the narrator, and although she has a driver's license she fears driving in Brisbane city or on the Gold Coast, leaving this to her 40-year-old half brother Tyler.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast are both beautiful cities, but it takes nerves of steel to drive there, and the driving scenes in both of these stories definitely realistic. The Brisbane CBD and inner suburbs in particular are filled with narrow roads, one-way streets, tunnels, bridges, confusing freeway configurations and exits and throw in traffic congestion, seemingly never-ending road-works and construction and angry, impatient drivers who see almost anything as an act of provocation, well you can imagine. Out on the major arterial roads and freeways things aren't much better, with traffic jams at peak hours and people treating these roads like racetracks.

If you are looking for an Australian holiday destination I highly recommend Brisbane and the Gold Coast, but remember that driving wise Brisbane is Australia's answer to Boston, and it is probably best of stick to public transport when you visit there.
If you have never driven over the Sydney Harbour Bridge at least once without meaning to, you're not a proper Sydneysider. Eight lanes, each with a different offramp or onramp. And now they're adding a new tunnel into the mix. Imagine teaching a child to drive around there.

Back